Thread poster: Robert Rietvelt

Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:23
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Oct 8, 2010

Hello fellow translators,

I am thinking of purchasing Trados 2009. I am working with a desktop and a laptop, so I need the Freelance Plus version. I read on the Trados site that the product will be delivered online.

My question is what happens when one of my computers crashes, and I have to reinstall it, or when I buy a (or 2) new computers? Can I still (re)install my expensive Trados software again? (I guess it must be possible, but how? I don't have the original CD).
Has anybody experience with this?

Olav Karlsen
Norway
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Care to wait for Déja Vu X2? Oct 8, 2010

Hi!
Perhaps you have noticed that DVX2 is about to launch soon? As a user of earliger versions I have experienced that this program is far easier to use than Trados. Support and subscription are for free, this is something you have to pay for if you choose Trados.

Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not really Oct 8, 2010

Thank you for the tip, but I have my mind set on Trados, but first like to solve some unclearities, hence my question.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Getting your files back Oct 8, 2010

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

My question is what happens when one of my computers crashes, and I have to reinstall it, or when I buy a (or 2) new computers? Can I still (re)install my expensive Trados software again? (I guess it must be possible, but how? I don't have the original CD).
Has anybody experience with this?

Hi Robert,

The software will always be available to you in your Customer Account, so you can download it as many time as you like. The one thing to watch out for is that if your computer crashes and requires a rebuild then you will have lost your activation code, and depending on what type of license you purchased you may not be able to activate your product without getting the license reset first. You can do this by using the solution finder like this;

http://talisma.sdl.com

Then go to the tab called Solution Finder and now go here

Licensing Problems
- I had to use my extra activations - please reset them

This will bring up a form that you can fill in to generate a support request and you will be contacted, normally within a day. You mentioned you have, or are getting Freelance Plus, so if you do this from your other computer before you have rebuit the one that crashed then you should have the license available when you need it. If not, you can return your other license and use it on the PC you need the most, then keep swapping until you get your second license reinstated.

I hope this helps.

Regards

Paul

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Buying a new computer Oct 8, 2010

What if ... you buy a new computer?

Simple: return the licence on your old computer (you do this when you are online, with Studio open, and just click on the licence you want to return).
Download Studio to your new computer from "My Account" on the SDL website, and activate the licence again.

Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Oct 8, 2010

Thank you Paul and Emma for your feedback.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Reinstalling Trados when my computer crashes or when I buy a new computer

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search