cannot open XML files in trados (error message)
Thread poster: Leipziger1
Oct 8, 2010

hello,

i am working with a downloaded trial of Trados Studio 2009, to test which tool is better (as we are also looking at across, memoQ etc)

i need to import .xml files into the program, translate them and then export them in the same format. i have several .xml files available to me which i downloaded directly from the websites i want to translate. with memoQ, i have no problems whatsoever opening them, and i also know for a fact the files are not corrupt, as otherwise either 1) the websites themselves would be faulty or 2) memoQ would not be able to open them

however in Trados i cannot get beyond the following error message. i appeal to the community, as Trados have been ignoring emails and calls from us for almost 3 months (whereas kilgray went out of their way to help with memoQ). i can't personally work out why SDL doesn't seem to want to sell several licences to a large company, but that's anyone's guess and another story. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! ps if i d/l the files as .htm documents then it works, but that would render me unable to translate the whole website, and would have to do it page-for-page which is far too time consuming. we do not have time to use other file formats, nor to format each file (and, frankly, why should we when there are other programs where that extra effort is not needed?)

"Error

Failed to open "xxxxx.xml". Refer to the additional information below for more details.

Additional error information:

Severity - Message - Origin

Error - The 'link' start tag on line 35 does not match the end tag of 'head. Line 51, position 3. - XML:DITA 1.1 v 1.1.0.0

Error - Unexpected DTD declatation. Line 1, position 3...."

and it goes on and on like that, however as i mentioned, if the .xml was corrupt then i wouldn't have been able to open it in other programs...all tips appreaciated! thanks!

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:47
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Did you create a sdlfiletype definition or an ini file for those xml files? Oct 8, 2010

XML is not equal XML, so you need a dtd to be able to display xml files properly and an ini or sdlfiletype defintion file to be able to process them in Trados.
It is needles to argue MemoQ or any other software are opening the files without problems, as XML may be opened in any software because it is plain text. The problem starts with proper editing of the xml file. Without having the necessary tag settings (ini/sdlfiletype) you will not be able to process the files properly.
Your error message seems to tell you, trhat Trados is trying to use the DITA settings for it, but they don't fit.
Please try first to create an ini file and then open the file(s).

PMz
Best test Oct 11, 2010

If you are not sure if the XML is valid - try to open in Internet Explorer.
From the errors you mentioned - it's definitely not valid file.

Leipziger1
TOPIC STARTER
further testing Oct 11, 2010

thanks for the replies

i will test further with other XML files, as you may well be right. that doesn't really explain why it is only trados which has problems, but i will have the IT people give me an xml which is definitely valid and that will clear up the debate

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

cannot open XML files in trados (error message)

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search