https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/182510-question_fading_out_internal_tags.html

Question fading out internal tags
Thread poster: jykim
jykim
jykim

Local time: 10:19
German to Korean
+ ...
Oct 9, 2010

Hi everyone!

I received a translation job from a software company (text strings for an GUI) and was wondering whether the following could be working with SDL Trados 2007:

The source file is an Excel-files, containg long text strings and internal tags such as
[Tml][Font color=XXX, XXX, XXX] Text to be translated [/Tml].

Is it somehow possible to 'tell' Trados that everything in brackets should not be translsated and therefore faded out, such as defin
... See more
Hi everyone!

I received a translation job from a software company (text strings for an GUI) and was wondering whether the following could be working with SDL Trados 2007:

The source file is an Excel-files, containg long text strings and internal tags such as
[Tml][Font color=XXX, XXX, XXX] Text to be translated [/Tml].

Is it somehow possible to 'tell' Trados that everything in brackets should not be translsated and therefore faded out, such as defining elements and attributes for xml-files? This would make the translation process far more easy for me..or can this be defined via the filter settings in Trados? Probably possible to do this task with 2009?

Thanks for you help!

Cheers (-:
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Not in Excel Oct 9, 2010

However you can copy the columns to be translated to Word, then use search and replace function to get all in [brackets] formatted as tw4win.internal.
When you open such file in Tageditor, everything formatted like that will remain untranslatable and you have a nice translatable file.

jykim
jykim

German to Korean
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your answer, Jerzy (-: Oct 9, 2010

Hi Jerzy,

thank you very much for your reply.

But what about if there are several different tags - I replace them with tw4win.internal and -external, but what if there are more than only two tags which should not be replaced, what about if the then translated Word file does not have the same segmentation when copying the text strings back into Excel, which means that the lines in the end don't match with the source language?

Hm, can this also be solved some
... See more
Hi Jerzy,

thank you very much for your reply.

But what about if there are several different tags - I replace them with tw4win.internal and -external, but what if there are more than only two tags which should not be replaced, what about if the then translated Word file does not have the same segmentation when copying the text strings back into Excel, which means that the lines in the end don't match with the source language?

Hm, can this also be solved somehow with regular expressions (internal and external patterns)?

Thanks and regards!

(-:

[Edited at 2010-10-09 19:03 GMT]
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Just test Oct 9, 2010

You can copy the table to Word and then back to Excel.
If that works, it will work then also after the translation.
The only problem you might have are manual line breaks in Excel.
You would need to replace the in Word then with for example [br] and then process the file.
When copied back to Excel you need to replace [br] with ALT+010.
As for tagging - use regular expressions in Word search and replace dialog.
For example search for \[*\] and replace it with ^
... See more
You can copy the table to Word and then back to Excel.
If that works, it will work then also after the translation.
The only problem you might have are manual line breaks in Excel.
You would need to replace the in Word then with for example [br] and then process the file.
When copied back to Excel you need to replace [br] with ALT+010.
As for tagging - use regular expressions in Word search and replace dialog.
For example search for \[*\] and replace it with ^&, but formatted as tw4win.internal.
Collapse

jykim
jykim

German to Korean
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Tested, but I don't really understand )-: Oct 10, 2010

How can I find manual line breaks in Excel? Is it somehow possible to find them via the standard "Search"-function, and what is ALT+010?

For regular expressions, I only found that thing in the filter settings by accident and really got no idea about it and with that tw4win.internal-thing. BTW: what is the difference between internal and external patterns?

Sorry for bothering again...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Question fading out internal tags

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »