Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 01:48
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Oct 10, 2010

G'day everyone

I have a Trados 2007 client who wants me to translate an MS Word file, but only the yellow highlighted text. I know how to exclude highlighted text from being translated, but how does one *include* it and *only* it? In other words, the TTX file should not have the non-highlighted text as translatable.

==

Edited: actually, I thought I knew how to exclude highlighted text, but I just discovered that I can't remember how to do that either.

Thanks
Samuel

[Edited at 2010-10-10 19:43 GMT]

Anthony Green  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
hide non-highlighted text Oct 10, 2010

Hello Samuel
Off the top of my head, I think you'll find that if you hide all non-highlighted text using the Replace function, then SDL Trados 2007 will open TU's containing only highlighted text, though I confess I usually put in a carriage return for good measure just to make sure

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Use search & replace in Word Oct 10, 2010

Press CTRL+H.
Click in the "Search for" box.
Select "Advanced options", go to format tab and select "Highlighted text". Now select the same again, this will change the "Search for" to "Not highlighted".
In "Replace with" chose "Hidden" as formatting.

Final tipp: create a TTX file first and translate that one in Studio. In such case all hidden text will not be presented for translation. If you open the file directly in Studio the hidden text will cause numerous "tag-only" segments. Not a big deal, but unnecessary time loss.

Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Just hacks Oct 10, 2010

Anthony Green wrote:
I think you'll find that if you hide all non-highlighted text using the Replace function, then SDL Trados 2007 will open TU's containing only highlighted text, though I confess I usually put in a carriage return for good measure just to make sure.

and:

Jerzy Czopik wrote:
Select "Advanced options", go to format tab and select "Highlighted text". Now select the same again, this will change the "Search for" to "Not highlighted". In "Replace with" chose "Hidden" as formatting.

Thanks for the tips, but these are just workarounds, aren't they? I mean, is there a way to do this in Trados (either via the usual GUI or by editing the filter file in Notepad) so that I don't have to change the original document?

What I mean, is this: if I do this (hide the text) and translate it, will the TTX file safely create the final translated version if I don't use the "hidden" version of the source text, but the non-hidden original version of the source text instead? In other words, will the client be able to use my TTX file on his original source files without having to perform the same alteration to his source text?

Create a TTX file first ... If you open the file directly in Studio...

I don't understand... is there a way to create a TTX file without opening the file in TagEditor?

[Edited at 2010-10-10 20:02 GMT]

Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
More on what I mean Oct 10, 2010

Samuel Murray wrote:
I mean, is there a way to do this in Trados (either via the usual GUI or by editing the filter file in Notepad) so that I don't have to change the original document?

I was really hoping for a solution what would entail editing Word_1_0_0_0.xml in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\SDL International\Filters. It is here where you can specify which style is non-translatable, or what text sequences must be non-translatable, but I can't see an option in there about non-translatable (or translatable) fonts.

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Why workarounds? Oct 10, 2010

Samuel Murray wrote:

Anthony Green wrote:
I think you'll find that if you hide all non-highlighted text using the Replace function, then SDL Trados 2007 will open TU's containing only highlighted text, though I confess I usually put in a carriage return for good measure just to make sure.

and:

Jerzy Czopik wrote:
Select "Advanced options", go to format tab and select "Highlighted text". Now select the same again, this will change the "Search for" to "Not highlighted". In "Replace with" chose "Hidden" as formatting.

Thanks for the tips, but these are just workarounds, aren't they? I mean, is there a way to do this in Trados (either via the usual GUI or by editing the filter file in Notepad) so that I don't have to change the original document?

I do not really see what was proposed as workaround.
In fact what the customer is doing is adding work for him and you.
If you have a document, version 1, which is full translated and then get version 2 from the customer, the best way is to give you version 2 full untranslated and use ContextTM for example on that. Highlighting text is maybe an option, but needs additional work on customers and you side, while ContexTM would be just few cliks and some machine time.
And the result would be a completly pretranslated file with only those parts to translate, which have been chaged.

What I mean, is this: if I do this (hide the text) and translate it, will the TTX file safely create the final translated version if I don't use the "hidden" version of the source text, but the non-hidden original version of the source text instead? In other words, will the client be able to use my TTX file on his original source files without having to perform the same alteration to his source text?

The TTX file will contain just the translation of changed parts, but the final document will contain both the hidden text and the translated text. After the translation you have just to unhide the text, that is all.
However this hiding and unhiding procedure must be done each time the document shall be translated, as otherwise the not highlighted text will not be excluded from translation.

Create a TTX file first ... If you open the file directly in Studio...

I don't understand... is there a way to create a TTX file without opening the file in TagEditor

Sorry, somehow I assumed you would use Studio (SDL Trados 2009) for translation.
However, you can also use Workbench to create a TTX file - menu Tools, Translate.

Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Jerzy Oct 10, 2010

Jerzy Czopik wrote:
I do not really see what was proposed as workaround. In fact what the customer is doing is adding work for him and you.

It may be that the client is theoretically making life harder for both him and me, but he remains the client, and I'd like to deliver a TTX file that is optimally useful to him in his current circumstances.

The file I have to translate is the file that the client had sent me (with all its potential problems and theoretical non-efficiencies), and not some other file that I had created by editing the client's file. The client wants a TTX file that was created from the original file, and not a TTX file that was created from some other file that looks very similar to the original file but has had slight changes made to it.

Sorry, somehow I assumed you would use Studio (SDL Trados 2009) for translation.

Actually it doesn't matter to me in which program I do the translation, as long as I can create the TTX file (because that is what the client wants) that fits the bill.

To be honest, I guess what the client really expects of me is to keep the source text open next to TagEditor so that I can see which text portions I should manually skip over without translating them.

But I don't work that way -- if a client wants me to use a specific CAT tool then I expect that CAT tool to be able to do what the client wants me to do without me having to manually check every segment against the original source text to see if the text needs translating.

Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
what is the task, anyway? Oct 10, 2010

I mean, you have a doc file with some portions highlighted as the input. What exact output do you want (or does ypour customer want)? From your original setting, it sounded like a Word file with only the highlighted portions translated. That seems a bit unusual and CAT-unfriendly, but with a Word-only output not so hard to achieve.

But now you are saying there are some other constraints/requirements. So, what exactly are you supposed to deliver?

Antonin

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
@Client Oct 10, 2010

Samuel Murray wrote:
But I don't work that way -- if a client wants me to use a specific CAT tool then I expect that CAT tool to be able to do what the client wants me to do without me having to manually check every segment against the original source text to see if the text needs translating.

I would simply deliver a TTX made of modified Word file. This is service as I understand it - the client wants a translation and delivers me a source. The source in the delivered form is not really suitable for translation so I modify it, usually at no charge. But in fact I would even understand charging more in that case as the customer is asking to do additional work.
Now to find the translatable text in Tageditor without having to modify Word you can use what is present there: tags.
First select the view of full tag content. Then use the search function to find the first sentence to be translated (simply look in Word and use copy & paste for some few words of this sentence). Now read the content of the tags formatting that sentence. There will be something like "Higlight color" with a color code. Note that code, enter it in the "Search for" box in Tageditor (paying attention to the spelling and lower/upper case) and let TE search tags. Then TE will show you tags for just the highlighted sentences. No modification in Word and still a quite fast and convenient method to find the text in a CAT tool.

Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
My task is... Oct 10, 2010

Antoní­n Otáhal wrote:
I mean, you have a doc file with some portions highlighted as the input. What exact output do you want (or does your customer want)? From your original setting, it sounded like a Word file with only the highlighted portions translated.

Sorry for the confusion.

I have a Word file in which all text is the source language. Some portions of text are highlighted. The client wants me to translate the Word file in TTX in such a way that the highlighted text is in the target language but the non-highlighted text remains in the source language. The deliverable is a valid TTX file (which, presumably, can be used with the exact file that the client had sent me -- highlights and all).

The simplest (and also most time-consuming) way of doing this would be to open the Word file in TagEditor but keep a copy of the Word file open next to TagEditor, and to translate only the portions that are highlighted, and to do copy-source-to-target for the non-highlighted text.

A cleverer way of doing it (if it is possible) is to change TagEditor's Word filter so that non-highlighted text is marked as non-translatable in the TTX file. I presume that it wouldn't matter if the client's Word filter is different from mine, as long as the TTX file is completely valid (though if I'm mistaken, do let me know).

Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Jerzy Oct 10, 2010

Jerzy Czopik wrote:
First select the view of full tag content. Then use the search function to find the first sentence to be translated (simply look in Word and use copy & paste for some few words of this sentence). Now read the content of the tags formatting that sentence. There will be something like "Higlight color" with a color code.

Yes, I see it, thanks. That makes all the difference.

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Why is modifying Word file not a clever way? Oct 10, 2010

Samuel Murray wrote:
A cleverer way of doing it (if it is possible) is to change TagEditor's Word filter so that non-highlighted text is marked as non-translatable in the TTX file. I presume that it wouldn't matter if the client's Word filter is different from mine, as long as the TTX file is completely valid (though if I'm mistaken, do let me know).

When you deliver the TTX to the customer he can create a TM out of it and use this TM to translate the highlighted content anywhere and anytime he wishes.
If you/he use(s) the TTX to create a semi-translated Word file, a valid Word file will be created, where just the hidden text must be unhidde again. This can be done by one single search&replace operation.
All this is easy, fast and secure solution. Now you are telling me all that is crap, as this will not satisfy the client. But if client is ordering a CAT translation he should be aware of some limitations of this process, or am I wrong here? So either he is aware of that or I make him aware of that. If I go to the dentist and will something from him what he cannot provide the way I would like to have whwat will the dentist do? Perform as would he be able to satisfy my wishes in full and do his job inn usual way or better tell me that I am wrong and explain the way he will work? I wouldn't like the dentist from the first option. And this is in fact similar client relationship as the one you describe. You're the expert in translation and you're in the position to explain the client where the problem is. Or I do not even see that as a problem, so I would simply explain the customer how I will process the file and what will be delivered.

Ulf Samuelsson  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 18:48
Member (2007)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Just make non-highlighted text hidden Oct 10, 2010

What I would have done in this case would be to do a quick search and replace to make all non-highlighted text hidden, then open and translate in TagEditor.
Finally, just clean the ttx file and make all hidden text not hidden in the finished Word file.

I don't see why the client would need the ttx file for any other thing than to update his/her memory, and then this method would be workable, unless the client specifically want to produce the final Word file from the ttx file.

Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
On being cleverer Oct 10, 2010

Before I answer, allow me to point out that your tag solution above is perfect for me and will be used by me to do this job. So my answers below are for argument's sake only.

Jerzy Czopik wrote:
When you deliver the TTX to the customer he can create a TM out of it and use this TM to translate the highlighted content anywhere and anytime he wishes.

1. You are making assumptions about the client's workflow (and about his knowledge of what Trados can do and how to do it in Trados). It is even possible (though not likely, but with the proliferation of middle-man agencies not unlikely either) that the client doesn't even have Trados himself.

2. Retranslating with the TM may also translate non-highlighted segments that are identical to the highlighted segments (fortunately this is not so in my case -- I can see that visually -- but there may be cases in which that would happen, right?)

...where just the hidden text must be unhidde again. This can be done by one single search&replace operation.

You're assuming that the client knows how to do regex find/replace in MS Word. Or, you're assuming that I would be able to explain it to him in a way that he understandsicon_smile.gif

But if client is ordering a CAT translation he should be aware of some limitations of this process, or am I wrong here?

What a client ought to be aware of and what he is actually aware of isn't always the same thing, and I tend to prefer not to preach to my clients (although no doubt some clients appreciate it when translators teach them new things that eventually make everyone's lives easier).

You're the expert in translation and you're in the position to explain the client where the problem is.

The problem, in the end, is that I'm a lazy translator who prefers to have things happen in a way that is most comfortable to meicon_smile.gif

The problem here is what the actual deliverable is. If the client had said "use Trados, and deliver me a translation" then I would have felt free to fiddle with the source text before pumping it through Trados, because all the client cares about is the translation (and possibly the TM). But in this case, the client had said "use Trados, and deliver me a TTX file" which means that the client wants to have a greater say in my workflow for this job, and I'm more restricted in what gymnastics I can perform on the files to make my life simpler.

Your tags solution is perfect for me, though. Just before I saw your tags solution post, the solution I thought of would have been to add # to each non-highlighted character in MS Word (a simple find/replace does it), so that I can see in the TTX file which text should be skipped, and in the end simply edit the TTX file in Notepad to remove all the # characters (which would theoretically make the TTX file compatible with the original source text file).

Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Ulf Oct 10, 2010

Ulf Samuelsson wrote:
I don't see why the client would need the ttx file for any other thing than to update his/her memory...

Thanks for your advice, but...

I prefer not to make such assumptions about what a client may want to do with the file. Think about it: if the client really only wanted a TM, why not just ask for one? In fact, why not just remove all non-highlighted text from the Word file before dispatching it to the translator? Why go through all that trouble? It is entirely possible (even plausible) that the client has a perfectly good reason for asking what he is asking for.

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translate only highlighted text

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search