SDL Trados file format converting tools for free
Thread poster: Pablo Bouvier

Pablo Bouvier  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:46
German to Spanish
+ ...
Oct 11, 2010

Those of you who are subscribed to Jost Zetsche's mailing list will already know. For those who aren't suscribed, SDL Trados has published two interesting file format converting tools that can be downloaded (for free) here:

SDL TTX It - Batch Convert Files to TTX

http://www.sdl.com/en/language-technology/partners/sdl-openexchange/browse-studio-applications/apps/sdl_ttx_it.asp

Bilingual Preview Generator

http://www.sdl.com/en/language-technology/partners/sdl-openexchange/browse-studio-applications/apps/bilingual-preview-generator.asp

Read the description at the site. It seems quite interesting.

Eppur si muove...

[Edited at 2010-10-11 23:19 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Jabberwock  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
What is the intended use? Oct 11, 2010

Pablo Bouvier wrote:

I am a bit puzzled about the purpose of this tool... What it does which cannot be done with Workbench?

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 18:46
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
Trados 2009 users without Trados 2007 Oct 12, 2010

I guess that this utility is designed for Trados Studio 2009 users who does not install Trados 2007, and prefer to work in TTX format through 2009 SDLXLIFF Editor. Some customers prefer this work flow.

Soonthon Lupkitaro

German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SDL Trados file format converting tools for free Oct 12, 2010

Jabberwock wrote:

Pablo Bouvier wrote:

I am a bit puzzled about the purpose of this tool... What it does which cannot be done with Workbench?

I do not tried the tools myself, as I received the information today and did not downloaded them yet. In consequence, I do not know wich are exactly the differences. But I will send you the paragraph that Jost has written in his maill, maybe it helps to give some enlightening.

Jabberwock  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
Requirements Oct 12, 2010

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.) wrote:

I guess that this utility is designed for Trados Studio 2009 users who does not install Trados 2007, and prefer to work in TTX format through 2009 SDLXLIFF Editor.

The requirements state that both Studio 2009 and Trados 2007 need to be installed (as well as Office 2007). So the tools still need to be used by someone who has Trados in the first place.

Daniel García
English to Spanish
+ ...
Batch conversion for Multilingual purposes Oct 12, 2010

Jabberwock wrote:

Pablo Bouvier wrote:

I haven't tried yet but I imagine it can convert files to TTX in batches, not one by one, as you would have to do with TagEditor.

I also imagine that the TTX files have a source language specified but no target language. This means you can send the same TTX for translation to different target language translators.

You can create TTX files in batches with a translation memory but then they will have the target language of the translation memory.

Daniel

PS Interestingly enough, I could not download the tool. Do you have to be a member of the OpenExchange?[Έγινε επεξεργασία στις 2010-10-12 07:28 GMT]

[Έγινε επεξεργασία στις 2010-10-12 07:33 GMT]

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Why TTX IT? Oct 12, 2010

Because it's much quicker than opening Workbench. You don't have to assign a TM or anything (since it's just for segmenting into a TTX format).

You need it for clients who don't have Studio and insist on TTX delivery to maintain compatability.
I used to open the file in Tag Editor and save as TTX. Then I read here that you could just open Workbench and use that. Finally I am using TTX IT (I've been trying the beta version for over a month now) and can confirm that it's by far the quickest method and has run smoothly since day one.

Of course, the next step will be for everyone to have Studio and use bilingual SDLXLIFF to deliver. But that may take years...

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Exactly Oct 12, 2010

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

Because it's much quicker than opening Workbench. You don't have to assign a TM or anything (since it's just for segmenting into a TTX format).

You need it for clients who don't have Studio and insist on TTX delivery to maintain compatability.
I used to open the file in Tag Editor and save as TTX. Then I read here that you could just open Workbench and use that. Finally I am using TTX IT (I've been trying the beta version for over a month now) and can confirm that it's by far the quickest method and has run smoothly since day one.

Exactly, Emma. That's it. The other option for e.g. bunches of help files would be to use Synergy, but it's all far slower than TTX IT. It works like a charm.

There will also be a "next generation" of the Bilingual Preview Generator which will allow to import automatically any changes made by proofreaders back into Studio.

German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Rodear o circunvalar un sitio con un vallado, una tapia o un muro, de suerte que quede cerrado, resg Oct 12, 2010

Daniel García wrote:

Jabberwock wrote:

Pablo Bouvier wrote:

I haven't tried yet but I imagine it can convert files to TTX in batches, not one by one, as you would have to do with TagEditor.

I also imagine that the TTX files have a source language specified but no target language. This means you can send the same TTX for translation to different target language translators.

You can create TTX files in batches with a translation memory but then they will have the target language of the translation memory.

Daniel

PS Interestingly enough, I could not download the tool. Do you have to be a member of the OpenExchange?[Έγινε επεξεργασία στις 2010-10-12 07:28 GMT]

[Έγινε επεξεργασία στις 2010-10-12 07:33 GMT]

Not an OpenExchange member maybe, but a Trados client for sure as the login says I am a new customer / I am a returning customer. Maybe it would be fair to add I am not a client yet.

[Edited at 2010-10-12 10:55 GMT]

Daniel García
English to Spanish
+ ...
Downloaded Oct 12, 2010

Pablo Bouvier wrote:

Not an OpenExchange member maybe, but a Trados client for sure as the login says I am a new customer / I am a returning customer. Maybe it would be fair to add I am not a client yet.

[Edited at 2010-10-12 10:55 GMT]

OK, sorted with the kind help of the Tradps support.

I wonder, though why the tool requires a Studio 2009 licence, as it would be useful to Trados 8 users as well, even they have not upgraded to Studio.

Daniel

Louisa Berry
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:46
Member (2009)
German to English
+ ...
What type of source files Oct 14, 2010

What type of files can be used with this tool to be converted to ttx? Is it just a Studio billingual file or others as well?

Thanks

Louisa

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados file format converting tools for free

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search