https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/182714-high_cpu_load_in_tageditor_80_when_typing.html

High CPU load in TagEditor 8.0 when typing
Thread poster: Dr. Matthias Schauen
Dr. Matthias Schauen
Dr. Matthias Schauen  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:12
Member (2007)
English to German
Oct 12, 2010

Hi, when I translate TTX files with TagEditor 8.0 (originally DOC, PPTX, RTF files), my CPU load rises. Specifically, when I type into the translation field, the three processes TW4Win.exe, TagEditor.Exe and AVKProxy.exe (antivirus, see below) each use 15% to 25% of the total CPU capacity (as seen with Microsoft's Process Explorer).
This happens consistently, with and without terminology recognition activated in the workbench, with large and small TTX files and with large and small TMs.... See more
Hi, when I translate TTX files with TagEditor 8.0 (originally DOC, PPTX, RTF files), my CPU load rises. Specifically, when I type into the translation field, the three processes TW4Win.exe, TagEditor.Exe and AVKProxy.exe (antivirus, see below) each use 15% to 25% of the total CPU capacity (as seen with Microsoft's Process Explorer).
This happens consistently, with and without terminology recognition activated in the workbench, with large and small TTX files and with large and small TMs.

Is a CPU load of 15-25% each normal for those two Trados processes?

I noticed this after some recent Windows and Antivirus updates, but I think the problem was present before. I guess I just noticed it now because the antivirus uses more CPU now and the cumulative CPU load tries to toast my notebook...

Do you have any ideas how to solve this? (The antivirus provider has no idea.)

Antivirus program: GData AntiVirenKit 2011 (21.1.0.5)
Translator's Workbench 8.2.0.835
TagEditor 8.2.0.835
Windows Vista SP 2
Asus A7, Mobile AMD Turion 64 TL-52 1.6 GHz, 3 GB RAM

[Edited at 2010-10-12 08:58 GMT]
Collapse

Mikhail Kropotov
Mikhail Kropotov  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Russian
+ ...
Try another antivirus? Oct 12, 2010

I'm not suggesting that you switch to different antivirus software for good - just try something else out and see if it helps alleviate the CPU load. Unfortunately, I anticipate this will prove that TagEditor itself is the root of the problem! Trados is quite far from robust...

I've experienced the problem you describe in TagEditor, but only in certain situations. This would usually happen with files prepared by a certain client of mine (a translation agency), and usually when the f
... See more
I'm not suggesting that you switch to different antivirus software for good - just try something else out and see if it helps alleviate the CPU load. Unfortunately, I anticipate this will prove that TagEditor itself is the root of the problem! Trados is quite far from robust...

I've experienced the problem you describe in TagEditor, but only in certain situations. This would usually happen with files prepared by a certain client of mine (a translation agency), and usually when the files were quite large (3MB+). I found no way around it, except make as few typing mistakes as possible, so I wouldn't have to retype anything!

I used AVIRA at the time, but never noticed any unusual CPU load with it. Like I said, most of the time TagEditor presented no problems, with AVIRA still running fine.

Please let us know if you troubleshoot this successfully.
Collapse

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Similar problem Oct 13, 2010

I had a similar problem not so long ago.

The files in question were in the .XML.TTX format with an .INI file for OpenOffice. In my book this was due: 1° to TagEditor itself and 2° to the somewhat awkward file preparation.

I had TE, TWB and my antivirus on (no other processes running) and it took me 4 full hours to get rid of a proofreading which should have taken 45 minutes.

[Edited at 2010-10-13 16:54 GMT]

Dr. Matthias Schauen
Dr. Matthias Schauen  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Registry checking? Oct 17, 2010

Hi guys, thanks a lot for your postings. I have no time to thoroughly investigate the problem further at the moment, I just hope that my notebook can "stand the heat" until I have some hours to spare.

I found out something, though, by using the ProcessMonitor from Sysinternals:
It seems that the two Trados processes constantly read the registry, and maybe this prompts my antivirus to become active.

I will post further results when I am more sure.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

High CPU load in TagEditor 8.0 when typing

Translation news related to SDL Trados

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »