Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
I can't install the SP3 update for Trados Studio 2009 (fix available)
Thread poster: Wolf Kux
Wolf Kux
Wolf Kux  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 07:43
Member (2006)
German to Portuguese
+ ...
Oct 13, 2010

To All who plan to install this update:

after I installed it, Trados does not open any Word file anymore, showing some strange messages like those ones:

+++++++++ Start +++++++++++

-
Der Typeninitialisierer für "Sdl.FileTypeSupport.Framework.Core.Settings.FontMappingSettings" hat eine Ausnahme verursacht.
-
System.TypeInitializationException, mscorlib, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089
... See more

after I installed it, Trados does not open any Word file anymore, showing some strange messages like those ones:

+++++++++ Start +++++++++++

-
Der Typeninitialisierer für "Sdl.FileTypeSupport.Framework.Core.Settings.FontMappingSettings" hat eine Ausnahme verursacht.
-
System.TypeInitializationException, mscorlib, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089
Sdl.FileTypeSupport.Framework.Core.Settings.FontMappingSettings

Sdl.FileTypeSupport.Framework.Core.Settings
-
- b__0()
bei Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Implementation.Services.Log.Resources(Object message, Action action)
bei Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Implementation.Services.Job._worker_DoWork(Object sender, DoWorkEventArgs e)
bei System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.OnDoWork(DoWorkEventArgs e)
bei System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.WorkerThreadStart(Object argument)
]]>

-
System.ArgumentException, mscorlib, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089

mscorlib
-
-

-
SDL Trados Studio
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate
NULL
Escritório-PC\Escritório
ESCRITÓRIO-PC
True
8387816 MB

++++++ End ++++++++++

++++++ starting another one +++++++

-
-

-
- b__0()
bei Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Implementation.Services.Log.Resources(Object message, Action action)
bei Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Implementation.Services.Job._worker_DoWork(Object sender, DoWorkEventArgs e)
bei System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.OnDoWork(DoWorkEventArgs e)
bei System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.WorkerThreadStart(Object argument)
]]>

-
System.ArgumentException, mscorlib, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089

mscorlib
-
-

-
SDL Trados Studio
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate
NULL
Escritório-PC\Escritório
ESCRITÓRIO-PC
True
8387816 MB

+++++++ Ending second message ++++++++

Hello Trados Support!!

I AM LOOSING MONEY, SINCE I COULD NOT FINISH MY TRANSLATION JOBS.

Please wake up all developers to correct this urgently ! This is not a good update until now.

I am using W7Ultimate, Trados Studio 2009 with upgrade to SP3, MS-Office 2010. Between first and second error message above, I installed all Windows updates. So I think, the problem DOES NOT reside at MS software.

Thanks

W Kux

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2010-10-21 09:59 GMT]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2010-10-21 10:01 GMT]
Collapse

TFaulkner
TFaulkner  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:43
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Dear Wolf Oct 13, 2010

Have you tried restoring the computer to an earlier point and then reinstalling the SP3?
I went through a similar situation, and after following this procedure not only was I able to find SDLX, but also have Trados working again.

I hope this works for you in case you decide to give it a try.

Regards,

Tais

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:43
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
You need to ask for support Oct 13, 2010

Considering that probably hundreds of us have installed SP3 without a problem, I think messages like this may be unnecessarily alarming.

You can get free support from SDL on any installation problem you have with your particular machine
... See more
Considering that probably hundreds of us have installed SP3 without a problem, I think messages like this may be unnecessarily alarming.

You can get free support from SDL on any installation problem you have with your particular machine and set-up as explained here:
http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/182218-sp3_for_sdl_trados_studio_2009_.html#1599286

In the meantime, I would encourage people who have SP2 or earlier to update to SP3, but, of course, as with any software, don't do it if you're in the middle of a job and have a tight deadline.
Collapse

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Par for the course Oct 13, 2010

With complex software, any major update is going to cause trouble for some users. This is almost unavoidable. Posting an AVOID THE UIPDATE message is hardly warranted unless you know that the update caused a problem for a significant proportion of users, or at least 2 or 3 people you know.

What I would suggest is
- Use System RestoreSystem Restore to get your system back to working order.
- Only do major updates of crucial software when you have at least a couple of hours off work.
Collapse

Magnus Eriksson
Magnus Eriksson  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:43
Portuguese to Swedish
+ ...
Same here Oct 13, 2010

I installed SDL Trados Studio 2009 SP3 on my Windows 7 Home Premium laptop this evening, previously I have only used 2007 Suite, so it's the first Studio 2009 installation on my computer. When I try to open a Word file I get the error message "The type initializer for 'Sdl.FileTypeSupport.Framework.Core.Settings.FontMappingSettings' threw an exception."

I saved the error message as an XML file which looks like this (don't know if it is of any help):

The type
... See more
I installed SDL Trados Studio 2009 SP3 on my Windows 7 Home Premium laptop this evening, previously I have only used 2007 Suite, so it's the first Studio 2009 installation on my computer. When I try to open a Word file I get the error message "The type initializer for 'Sdl.FileTypeSupport.Framework.Core.Settings.FontMappingSettings' threw an exception."

I saved the error message as an XML file which looks like this (don't know if it is of any help):

The type initializer for 'Sdl.FileTypeSupport.Framework.Core.Settings.FontMappingSettings' threw an exception.

b__0()
at Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Implementation.Services.Log.Resources(Object message, Action action)
at Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Implementation.Services.Job._worker_DoWork(Object sender, DoWorkEventArgs e)
at System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.OnDoWork(DoWorkEventArgs e)
at System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.WorkerThreadStart(Object argument)]]>

mscorlib

SDL Trados Studio
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
NULL
AsusM50VC\Magnus
ASUSM50VC
True
3144820 MB

I went to Tools > Options... and looked at the File Types item, and when I clicked on any of the MS Office file types (2000-2003, 2007) I got another error message. I cannot reproduce that at the moment since I cannot even open the Options dialogue anymore. I think it might remember the last selection, which was a file type it couldn't handle, so instead of the dialogue I get this error message:

Error thrown by a dependency of object 'FilterDefinitionAdministratorUI' defined in 'object XML' : Initialization of object failed : Cannot instantiate Type [Sdl.FileTypeSupport.Framework.AdministrationUI.FontMappingPage] using ctor [Void .ctor()] : 'Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.'
while resolving 'SettingsPageReferences[3]' to '(inner object)' defined in 'object XML'
while resolving 'constructor argument' to '(inner object)' defined in 'object XML'

SP3 has been around a few weeks now so I suppose that it must work fine with Office files for most people, or I would have seen more posts about it. Googling the error messages doesn't help. Still, are we only two people who have this problem? I shouldn't have tried to install Studio with a translation deadline for tomorrow, but I suppose I was a bit naive...
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Try the following Oct 13, 2010

Hi Wolf, Magnus,

Try the following and if these don't help then we need to get a support engineer to take a look.

First close studio and then delete the following files in;

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\9.1.0.0\

BaseSettings.xml
plugincache.xml
UserSettings.xml

They will be recreated when you restart and this may help.

If not then try replacing your filetypes in your Docume
... See more
Hi Wolf, Magnus,

Try the following and if these don't help then we need to get a support engineer to take a look.

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\9.1.0.0\

BaseSettings.xml
plugincache.xml
UserSettings.xml

If not then try replacing your filetypes in your Documents folder with the installation filetypes. It might be that your filetypes have become corrupted somehow. So try the following?

1. Close Studio

2. Delete all the filetypes (apart from any custom filetypes you made) in this folder. Make sure you also delete FilterFramework2Configuration.xml

C:\Users\<username>\Documents\SDL Trados Studio\File Types\

3. Copy all the files including FilterFramework2Configuration.xml from here;

C:\Program Files (x86)\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\Studio1\File Types\

To here

C:\Users\<username>\Documents\SDL Trados Studio\File Types\

4. Now start Studio again and see if this helps.

If this still fails can you log a case using the Solution Finder here;

http://talisma.sdl.com

Then go to the tab called Solution Finder and now go here;

Download & Installation Problems
- I get an error message during installation.
- - I get another error message

This will bring up a form that you can fill in to generate a support request and you will be contacted, normally within a day. Please refer to this post by placing a link in the description as this will help the support engineer see what you have tried already.

I hope this helps.

Regards

Paul
Collapse

Wolf Kux
Wolf Kux  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 07:43
Member (2006)
German to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
... not worked ... Oct 13, 2010

SDL Support wrote:

Hi Wolf, Magnus,

C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\9.1.0.0\

BaseSettings.xml
plugincache.xml
UserSettings.xml

If not then try replacing your filetypes in your Documents folder with the installation filetypes. It might be that your filetypes have become corrupted somehow. So try the following?

1. Close Studio

2. Delete all the filetypes (apart from any custom filetypes you made) in this folder. Make sure you also delete FilterFramework2Configuration.xml

C:\Users\\Documents\SDL Trados Studio\File Types\

3. Copy all the files including FilterFramework2Configuration.xml from here;

C:\Program Files (x86)\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\Studio1\File Types\

To here

C:\Users\\Documents\SDL Trados Studio\File Types\

4. Now start Studio again and see if this helps.

If this still fails can you log a case using the Solution Finder here;

http://talisma.sdl.com

Then go to the tab called Solution Finder and now go here;

Download & Installation Problems
- I get an error message during installation.
- - I get another error message

This will bring up a form that you can fill in to generate a support request and you will be contacted, normally within a day. Please refer to this post by placing a link in the description as this will help the support engineer see what you have tried already.

I hope this helps.

Regards

Paul

Dear Paul,

on another post of mine:

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/182605-trados_studio_2009_sp3_öffnet_word_dateien_nicht_.html

those solutions you mentioned were also presented there. I tried both, but I did not get a correct result. In my opinion, there may be a bug on SP3 doing those failures.

If SDL needs some time to implement a solution for this issue, then it may be better first to know on how to uninstall SP3 update until SDL correct this problem.

There are also other issues mentioned on posts regarding troubles with SP3, as you may see on corresponding posts.

I repeat: I am loosing money since I did not get confidence on Trados SP3. We, translators cannot wait loosing money. Something must be done very, very, very quickly by SDL!

Thnx

Wolf

[Editada em 2010-10-13 22:02 GMT]

[Editada em 2010-10-13 22:12 GMT]

Magnus Eriksson
Portuguese to Swedish
+ ...
Still the same problem Oct 13, 2010

Hello Paul, and thanks for your quick reply. I tried both of your suggestions but unfortunately without any luck. I will generate a support request as soon as I get an opportunity, and in the meantime I'll stick to 2007 Suite. I might also try Tais' suggestion and restore the computer to an earlier point in time, since I installed some updates from Windows Update before installing Studio 2009, and I'm quite certain there were two MS Office updates in the bunch. Probably not related, but you neve... See more
Hello Paul, and thanks for your quick reply. I tried both of your suggestions but unfortunately without any luck. I will generate a support request as soon as I get an opportunity, and in the meantime I'll stick to 2007 Suite. I might also try Tais' suggestion and restore the computer to an earlier point in time, since I installed some updates from Windows Update before installing Studio 2009, and I'm quite certain there were two MS Office updates in the bunch. Probably not related, but you never know.

Regards,
Magnus
Collapse

MFoxTrans
MFoxTrans
United States
Local time: 04:43
Japanese to English
Also happening here Oct 13, 2010

While the above poster does say that many people are using SP3 fine, there are a number of otehr places accross the web where people are experiencing this problem. I am currently in an open support ticket with SDL, so I hope this gets resolved, but as Wolf said, I am stuck. I did not install this in the middle of a project, but had not started a new project before I realized I was in trouble. And I can't find clear instructions on how to simply and safely downgrade.

If I get any
... See more
While the above poster does say that many people are using SP3 fine, there are a number of otehr places accross the web where people are experiencing this problem. I am currently in an open support ticket with SDL, so I hope this gets resolved, but as Wolf said, I am stuck. I did not install this in the middle of a project, but had not started a new project before I realized I was in trouble. And I can't find clear instructions on how to simply and safely downgrade.

If I get any response from SDL support that helps, I'll post it here
Collapse

Tapsa
Tapsa
Local time: 13:43
English to Finnish
Maybe the problem is operating system languge specific? Oct 13, 2010

Wolf Kux wrote:

I have the same problem and Finnish Windows Vista. In another thread there was someone who has the same problem and German Windows.

The problem may have something to do with operating system language and/or some other programs installed.

The only "complex" file format that works for me seems to be Indesign INX (haven't tested every format thought)

Anyway, I'm sure they are trying hard to find a fix for this problem.

Magnus Eriksson
Portuguese to Swedish
+ ...
One more Oct 13, 2010

Wolf, when I look at the thread you link to I can see there is another person having the same problem, making us at least three, all in all. Thinking about it, any recent updates from Windows Update cannot be the culprit since the error messages start appearing as soon as I click on Office items under File Types in the Options dialogue box. If you generate a support request and manage to get a reply directly from SDL, please post back about any findings.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
One more thing Oct 13, 2010

Hi Magnus,

I'm guessing that you have Swedish Regional & language Settings in Windows. If so please can you close Studio, change these settings to English, then restart Studio and try again to open your word file.

I will raise a support case on your behalf if this still fails. If it works, then we know what this problem is and we are working on a hotfix and you have a workaround. If not, then we'll need to take a look at your machine.

Regards

... See more
Hi Magnus,

I'm guessing that you have Swedish Regional & language Settings in Windows. If so please can you close Studio, change these settings to English, then restart Studio and try again to open your word file.

I will raise a support case on your behalf if this still fails. If it works, then we know what this problem is and we are working on a hotfix and you have a workaround. If not, then we'll need to take a look at your machine.

Regards

Paul
Collapse

Magnus Eriksson
Portuguese to Swedish
+ ...
No luck Oct 13, 2010

Hi Paul,

Sorry, but no luck. I switched Formats, Location and Keyboard to United Kingdom, restarted the computer, deleted and copied files according to the instructions in your first post, but the error messages still keep appearing. Even switched everything to English US. I would appreciate if you could raise a support case, thank you.

Regards,
Magnus

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Case is raised Oct 14, 2010

Hi Magnus,

I have raised the case for you this morning.

Regards

Paul

Alina - Maria Chiteala
Alina - Maria Chiteala  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 13:43
Member (2011)
English to Romanian
+ ...
Strange Oct 14, 2010

It seems that good things do happen with Trados Before installing SP3 word gave me some error messages when opening and closing. Amazing enough for me now, with the SP3 installation, those are gone.
This is the good thing - the bad thing is that AutoSuggest feature has gray out. Before was working just fine.

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I can't install the SP3 update for Trados Studio 2009 (fix available)

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »