Thread poster: Studio-ti
Studio-ti
Italy
Local time: 06:41
English
Oct 14, 2010

Hi everybody,
the problem is the following:
I have two Trados TMs, one is IT-EN and the other is EN-DE.
Now I am asked to create an IT-DE TM, but I cannot figure how I could produce it.
I feel confident there is a solution... has any of you some advice to give me?
Thank you all in advance,
Anna

Direct link Reply with quote

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Interesting question Oct 14, 2010

Hi Anna,

I'm wondering if this is a question of how to simply create a new TM? In which case you need to tell us which software you are using and then we can tell you how to do it.

Or, whether you have exactly the same material in three languages but only matching Translation Memories for two of the available pairs, so that now you want the remaining IT-DE?

Perhaps you can elaborate and then I'm sure you will find some help.

Regards

Paul

Studio-ti
Italy
English
TOPIC STARTER
Second option you said! Oct 14, 2010

Hi Paul,
it's exactly the second option you said.
I am talking about Trados 8.
I have some manuals, which were first translated IT-EN and then EN-DE, with two matching bilingual (IT-EN and EN-DE) translation memories, of course.
Now I am asked to directly translate IT-DE, by-passing English which is not required any more, so I would like to recover the translated material I already have, but I don't know how.
The English material in the two TMs is identical.
There must be a way...
Thanks for your help!
Anna

United Kingdom
English
Here's what you do.. Oct 15, 2010

Hi Anna,

First of all I think we need to be clear that you must be certain of your material, because if it isn't really the same then this may not be as successful as you might like and you might end up having a lot of editing afterwards. Certainly you need to do some good QA on the finished result.

So, here's the process.

1. Export your IT-EN to a TXT in Workbench
2. Export your EN-DE to a TXT in Workbench
3. Create a new multilingual TM in Workbench with EN as the source
4. Import the IT-EN and the EN-DE to this new multilingual TM one at a time
5. Export the EN-IT-DE multilingual TM to a TXT in Workbench
6. Create a new bilingual TM that is IT-DE
7. Import your EN-IT-DE into the new TM and only the IT-DE segments will be imported

Now, based on you probably being familiar with Workbench the only thing I'll explain is how to create the Multilingual TM as you may not have known this (I didn't until Daniel Brockmann showed me this morning..!). So, this is what you do;

1. Open the Create Translation Memory dialogue
2. Select your source language (EN)
3. Select the first target language (DE), and then hold down the ctrl key and select the other target language (IT) Both languages should now be selected in the Target language dropdown
4. Then click on Create and you will have a multilingual TM.
5. If you click on Settings - Target Language you will see that you can now choose which language you wish to work with
6. When you open the exported TXT in a text editor you will see three segments for each Translation Unit.

That's it, good luck.

Regards

Paul

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 11:41
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
Tab delimited file Oct 15, 2010

TM can be exported as tab delimited file. In this situation, export only IT field in your IT-EN TM, and only DE field in your EN-DE TM. From the 2 exported files, copy and paste into 2 columns of an Excel file. Save as a tab delimited file again (IT-DE pair format).

Soonthon Lupkitaro

United Kingdom
English
How did you do this? Oct 15, 2010

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.) wrote:

TM can be exported as tab delimited file. In this situation, export only IT field in your IT-EN TM, and only DE field in your EN-DE TM. From the 2 exported files, copy and paste into 2 columns of an Excel file. Save as a tab delimited file again (IT-DE pair format).

Soonthon Lupkitaro

Hi Soonthon,

I'm interested in your approach. Can you elaborate a little on how you did this? It isn't possible to export as a tab delimited file so I imagine you have some intermediate steps.

Can you share this approach... I'm a little slow and couldn't see how to manage it without lots of data manipulation?

Thank you

Paul

Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
tmx2xls Oct 15, 2010

Well, here is my own brute-force TMX to XLS macro (to be run in Excel):

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3759984/tmx2xls.txt

Antonin

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Other methods Oct 15, 2010

Antoní­n Otáhal wrote:

Well, here is my own brute-force TMX to XLS macro (to be run in Excel):

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3759984/tmx2xls.txt

Antonin

Just wondering, does it decode character references? TMX has <, > and a few others.

Other solutions for TMX -> tab delimited include Xbench and a perl script I wrote.

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 11:41
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
In SDL Trados 2007 Oct 17, 2010

SDL Support wrote:

I'm interested in your approach. Can you elaborate a little on how you did this? It isn't possible to export as a tab delimited file so I imagine you have some intermediate steps.

Can you share this approach... I'm a little slow and couldn't see how to manage it without lots of data manipulation?

I am sorry to omit some steps about this method. In SDL Trados 2007: SDL Maintain and WorkBench can export to delimited file format (even for only 1 column). In SDL Trados 2009, export is provided in TMX format, and can be converted into delimited file format with a special Excel macro or other utility program (rather complicate). In brief, if you understand the TM data structure, you can convert into a number of format/language pair and sequence.

Soonthon Lupkitaro

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Changing Trados TM source and target language

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search