Keeping track of progress in tageditor
Thread poster: Steven F Smith

Steven F Smith
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:58
Member (2007)
Japanese to English
Oct 14, 2010

I'm translating a rather large powerpoint file in TagEditor 8.0 (first time I've used tageditor for anything substantial) and need to know if I'm hitting my daily output target. Of course I can get a rough idea of my progress by looking at how many slides I've got through, but can anyone suggest a more precise method of checking the cumulative target word count in tageditor?

Thanks,
Steven

Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 11:58
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Keeping track in source file Oct 14, 2010

Hi Steven,

I wish I could offer a more practical solution, perhaps integrated into TagEditor, but the way I usually do it, since TagEditor doesn't offer any way to do this, is I save the source file under a different name, then keep track of my progress by deleting the slides I've completed and checking the word count there (I'm assuming your source file is a Powerpoint presentation).

Best of luck,

Nora

Jens Lober  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 19:58
English to Danish
You can do Oct 14, 2010

a new analysis in Workbench and compare to the initial analysis

Lennart Luhtaru  Identity Verified
United States
English to Estonian
+ ...
TW Oct 14, 2010

I was also quite used to SDLX-is fast analysis to check the progress but Workbench and analyze works good also.

Steven F Smith
United Kingdom
Member (2007)
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Simple solution Oct 15, 2010

Nora Diaz wrote:

Hi Steven,

I wish I could offer a more practical solution, perhaps integrated into TagEditor, but the way I usually do it, since TagEditor doesn't offer any way to do this, is I save the source file under a different name, then keep track of my progress by deleting the slides I've completed and checking the word count there (I'm assuming your source file is a Powerpoint presentation).

Best of luck,

Nora

Thanks. This kind of low-tech solution suits me!

Steven

Steven F Smith
United Kingdom
Member (2007)
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Doubtful accuracy Oct 15, 2010

Jens Lober wrote:

a new analysis in Workbench and compare to the initial analysis

Because I work from Japanese to English, the analysis gives number of characters. If I analyse the initial and interim files in a dummy English TM it gives word counts, but these differ widely from the powerpoint stats, so I think I'll trust the low-tech method.

Steven

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Keeping track of progress in tageditor

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search