Thread poster: Tom Fennell

Tom Fennell
United States
Local time: 19:53
Member (2010)
Russian to English
+ ...
Oct 15, 2010

Last night I had one of those lovely "can't get my file back at 4AM" moments.

Happily I was able to identify the problem.

When finalizing a fairly large (960 segment, 6800 word) file, Studio gave the error:

"SDL XLIFF validation error at line 3353 offset 1236: The key sequence 210" in Keyref fails to refer to some key."

I did not figure out until now that "key sequence 210" means "segment 210." Ugh.

After an hour of troubleshooting, I figured out that out of the many segments I merged to make up for imperfect segmentation, one particular segment was making Trados go haywire.

The only way to figure out which one was to re-merge segments from a clean file a few at a time, then trying to finalize repeatedly.

Anyone from SDL have a fix? I don't want to go through this again.

Hope this helps other victims.

Marinus Vesseur  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 17:53
English to Dutch
+ ...
SDL Studio stumbles over merged segment Oct 16, 2010

Very good! Exactly the problem I had, which I described here: http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/182798-sdl_studio_cannot_finalize_the_project.html

Why on earth Studio doesn't at least produce a document with ONE segment missing and an update of all MINUS ONE segments into the main TM is one of the many, many mysteries built into this rather fragile program that I will never understand.

Any user will understand that at the end of the project you need a useable result, so any possible error must under no circumstance completely block the process, but alas, this is exactly what Studio does: any tiny discrepancy and all it will do is throw cryptic error messages at you. Until you sort the error out, with or without SDL Support, you have NOTHING. It's a crying shame.

Exhale a deep sigh and on we ploddingly go with this crippled machine.

Thanks for your posting.

Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 02:53
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
valuable information Oct 16, 2010

THOMAS FENNELL wrote:

"SDL XLIFF validation error at line 3353 offset 1236: The key sequence 210" in Keyref fails to refer to some key."

I did not figure out until now that "key sequence 210" means "segment 210." Ugh.

Thanks, that information is very valuable! I wish I'd gotten it from SDL, thoughicon_wink.gif

Bruce Bracken  Identity Verified
France
Member (2010)
French to English
+ ...
Thank you Nov 5, 2010

Thank you, you have saved me many hours of pulling out what little hair I have left!

Shaun Yeo  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:53
English to Chinese
+ ...
A rather simple solution Jan 26, 2011

Hi all,

I am a newbie at Trados, having been using it for less than 6 months. I've encountered this problem today. My solution seems pretty straightforward. This is what I did:

1. Update the TM memory with whatever you have translated. I had 3 errors, but they did not give me any problem while updating the memory.

2. Create a new project with the same source file.

3. Open the source file and let Trados pre-translate it.

There, you have a file translated up to the point when you last saved it. The only thing left seems to be: what do to with the problematic segments in the previous file? I chose not to merge it again for fear that the same problem may occur.

HTH

Shaun@newbie but find Trados pretty neatA

Tom Van Cleempoel  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
exactly Feb 2, 2011

Marinus Vesseur wrote:

Any user will understand that at the end of the project you need a useable result, so any possible error must under no circumstance completely block the process, but alas, this is exactly what Studio does: any tiny discrepancy and all it will do is throw cryptic error messages at you. Until you sort the error out, with or without SDL Support, you have NOTHING. It's a crying shame.

You are so right. This has happened to me several times now. And more than once I had to redo the entire translation in Trados 2007 with an export of the 2009 memory. This may seem like a nice solution, but it's not when you know that the segmentation rules are different and that footnotes are handled in a different way as well.

Finalyzing should always be possible, if need be with part of the text left in the source language!

And if I see one more of those cryptic error messages, I'm going to scream.

Tom (who is extremely frustrated with Studio 2009 today)

Tom Fennell
United States
Member (2010)
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That's fine but Feb 2, 2011

Shaun Yeo wrote:

Hi all,

I am a newbie at Trados, having been using it for less than 6 months. I've encountered this problem today. My solution seems pretty straightforward. This is what I did:

1. Update the TM memory with whatever you have translated. I had 3 errors, but they did not give me any problem while updating the memory.

There, you have a file translated up to the point when you last saved it. The only thing left seems to be: what do to with the problematic segments in the previous file? I chose not to merge it again for fear that the same problem may occur.

HTH

The problem is if, like I did you have:

1. LOTS of manual segmenting in the file.
2. VERY long source segments (200-300 words) - these do not pre-translate, and are not recognized even segment-by segment when translating, but must be manually pasted from the concordance.

I repeat - UGH

Joel Earnest
Swedish to English
Another solution Mar 26, 2011

I merged the split segment, and after opening and closing the file, the problem was gone. Shouldn't be like this though.

Shaun Yeo wrote:

Hi all,

HTH

Tatiana Nikitina  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 03:53
Member (2011)
English to Russian
+ ...
Thank you, Thomas and Shaun! Apr 2, 2011

Thank you so much, Thomas Fennell and Shaun Yeo! You saved my time and a lot of nerve cellsicon_smile.gif

I'm using TRADOS Studio 2009 for only one week, and was greatly shocked when I couldn't receive my translated text back. I also found those strange (for me) notion "The key sequence ..." in Keyref fails to refer to some key", and not only after using merging, but also when I used "split segments". In my case I could create a doc-file, but I was not able to open it in MS Word: Word just closed automatically, but promised to notice me if they find any solution for the problemicon_frown.gif

So, I used the advise from Shaun and re-translated my file, and it seems that it's better to use docx-files instead of doc-files. And now I don't use both merging and split functions (which is a pity - they were rather useful). Hope SDL will fix this problem soon.

Francoise Perigaut
Germany
German to French
+ ...
Send your file to SDL? Apr 4, 2011

Last time efreitag mentioned this bug (or a similar one) in another thread, Paul Filkin (from SDL) answered this:
Hi Erik... and anyone else who thinks they have this problem,
It would be useful if you could let me have a copy of the file when you have a problem like this
and then we will have something to work with so we can either explain what the issue is, or have a reproducible bug that we need to fix.

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/195332-warning:_dont_merge_segments_in_studio.html

Maybe you should send your files to SDL so we can hope this bug will be fixed soon?
I've experienced this problem too, I hardly dare merging or splitting segments in Studio anymore.
Nothing worked in my case although I created several projects and tried pretty much everything, I had to export the TM and retranslate the 40 files in Trados 2007 FL, I wasted so many hours because of this.

Angela Dickson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:53
French to English
+ ...
Happened to me too May 20, 2011

I've just had this problem too, and googling the error message led me to this thread. I solved the problem by merging the segments I had previously split, but it would be nice to be able to split segments without breaking things.

I don't know if this is correlated to the word count discrepancy problem (after translation and confirmation of all segments, there remain some spurious untranslated words and a negative number of confirmed words). But I'm having that problem with this file, too.

Tom Fennell
United States
Member (2010)
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Привет Таник! May 22, 2011

tanik812 wrote:

Thank you so much, Thomas Fennell and Shaun Yeo! You saved my time and a lot of nerve cellsicon_smile.gif

I'm using TRADOS Studio 2009 for only one week, and was greatly shocked when I couldn't receive my translated text back. I also found those strange (for me) notion "The key sequence ..." in Keyref fails to refer to some key", and not only after using merging, but also when I used "split segments". In my case I could create a doc-file, but I was not able to open it in MS Word: Word just closed automatically, but promised to notice me if they find any solution for the problemicon_frown.gif

So, I used the advise from Shaun and re-translated my file, and it seems that it's better to use docx-files instead of doc-files. And now I don't use both merging and split functions (which is a pity - they were rather useful). Hope SDL will fix this problem soon.

You don't need to be completely afraid of splitting and merging. I continue to split and merge, but the problem seems to be only when there is a large amount of splitting or merging.

This is usually due to problems with abbreviations not being recognized, but you can change abbreviations in the Language Resources Template which is used when you create a TM or project.

[Edited at 2011-05-22 15:44 GMT]

Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
THANKS for giving me a clue about it. Nov 14, 2011

I'm desperate...

Every time I create a new project, I get twice as many errors!!!
I started with three and now have twelve.

I keep losing my proofing corrections too.

I think the thing for me to do is to reject the translations of the problem segments (now I can identify them) before they breed any more. Then I hope I can clean the file and translate them manually.

They are full of figures (amounts in money) and the abbreviation for Danish kroner, kr. So of course Trados sees that as a place to break a segment.

But at least your hint about the numbers and merging segments helps me find the segments, because otherwise I would never have guessed, and I have hundreds of segments and thousands of words to mess about with...

And perhaps I will follow the advice of sending the file to SDL when I have had a little sleep!!!!

Thanks again!

Lubomir Groch  Identity Verified
English to Slovak
+ ...
Solution, if the original untranslated sdlxliff file has no errors Nov 21, 2011

I also had this problem. I frequently exchange sdlxliff files between Trados Studio 2009 and MemoQ. Sometimes this error appears after import from Memoq to Trados.
I read in SDL knowledge base that this error is caused by corrupted hidden tags invisible in Editor. According to SDL, it is possible to address this error by editing in an XML editor, such as free Notepad++.

Try this:

1. Save the original untranslated sdlxliff file without validation errors.

2. Translate sdlxliff file.

3. When this error appears: "SDL XLIFF validation error at line 3353 offset 1236: The key sequence 210" in Keyref fails to refer to some key." - open ORIGINAL and TRANSLATED sdlxliff files in Notepad++.

4. Note the line number that throws the error. In this example it's line 3353. In ORIGINAL file navigate to the line that causes problems, copy and paste it over the exact same line in TRANSLATED file. Save file and open in Studio. Problem solved.

Important note: Unfortunately, this solution only works if there's a same number of translation segments in original and translated sdlxliff files. When segments are merged or split during the translation, the number of lines is changed, obviously, and the above simple copy and paste method would most likely result in disaster.
Then again, it might be worth checking the erroneous sdlxliff file in Notepad++ and see what happened with the XML formatting tags.

HTH,
Lubos

[Edited at 2011-11-21 06:49 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-11-21 06:50 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio SP3 corruption of sdlxliff file when merging segments / validation error

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search