Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
SP3 for Studio is a disaster (for me anyway)
Thread poster: Montes

Montes  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 22:08
Member (2009)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Oct 16, 2010

I give up.
I lost the function to add new Termbase entries (the screen remains empty). And what really drives me nuts is that INS constantly changes to OVR as soon as the TM fills in a partial match. Which causes me to destroy parts of the translation that were correct. Even hitting the Insert button does not help in multi line segments, because on the next line INS has changed back to OVR again... WHAAAA!

SDL support gave many tips and even logged in on my computer twice. All to no avail; the problem persists. The final conclusion was that Java is somehow messed up. There appears to be no solution at the moment (deleted and reinstalled Java; all references in the registry removed; reinstalled the '14' version and later the '22' version). All without result.

I am now going back to SP2. But that means problems with all projects that were opened in SP3.
This will probably cost me day and the outcome is not guaranteed...

I'm not a happy camper right now!

Direct link Reply with quote

Marinus Vesseur  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 13:08
English to Dutch
+ ...
My sympathies.. Oct 16, 2010

.. though I can't give you any advice. Just to let you know you're not the only frustrated Studio user, cq SP3 updater.

Tom Fennell
United States
Local time: 15:08
Member (2010)
Russian to English
+ ...
Maybe there is a quick fix.... Oct 17, 2010

It is stupid, but you always have to run the "launch Studio.bat" file before it will work - and SP3 did not fix this.

you can download laundstudio.bat here:

http://talisma.sdl.com/article.aspx?article=3093&p=1

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
launchstudio.bat is a temporary solution Oct 17, 2010

Hi Thomas,

There is a fix in SP3 for this issue, and for most users it takes effect. But we have seen this failing for some, as seen here. It may be that the problem arises because the sidebyside tools are not installed and activated for some reason.

Can you try the following to ensure they are installed correctly.

First of all you need to make sure the sidebyside tool is installed. You can install it by running the Sdl.Multiterm.SideBySide.msi which you can find here;

C:\Program Files\SDL\Installers\SDLTradosStudio2009SP3\modules

Or

C:\Program Files\SDL\Installers\SDLMultiTerm2009SP3\modules

Once installed you go to the installation folder for the sidebyside tool (as it may not be in the startmenu if you don't make use of MultiTerm 2007 as well) and the _ModifyShortcuts.cmd which you can find here;

C:\Program Files\SDL\SDL MultiTerm\MultiTermSideBySide

Now start Workbench again, close it (just to make sure the term recognition is broken) and start Studio again. There should be a pop up window showing the setup of the components before Studio starts that fix this issue when switching between versions.

This might fix the problem. SP3 does this automatically for the majority of users but as we can see, for some it does not. It may be down to the order in which the software is all installed, not sure; can you tell me in which order you installed the software?

Regards

Paul

Netherlands
Member (2009)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
My problems are different... Oct 17, 2010

Hi Thomas, Paul,

I am aware of the issue that 'launch Studio.bat' fixes. I encountered that problem months ago and never opened any legacy parts of SDL since (I simply learned how to use those functions in Studio).

My problems are different.
1. TermBase appears to be working fine, all previously entered terms are recognized. The problem is adding new ones. The moment I use Ctrl+Alt+N to add a term, the edit window stays empty. Also, when I open TermBase Viewer at the bottom of the screen, I can click terms and they appear in the right pane, as they should. But when I click 'Edit', the screen suddenly empties. This means that I cannot enter new terms and with my specialization in highly complex technical documents I heavily rely on them.

I now have MultiTerm open in the background, so I can manually add terms I absolutely want saved. I also have Access open, because MultiTerm frequently crashes, the 'unknown error' message has become an unwelcome but very familiar friend.

2. The INS (Insert) and OVR (Overwrite) function has a live of its own. When the TM fills in a partial match, INS has changed to OVR. I hit the Insert button on the Keyboard, but when I highlight the section I want to delete, the INS most of the time has become OVR again... and sometimes not! Arrow Down in a multi-line segment also triggers that change.

For the record: I run W7 Pro on 64bit machine.
I installed IE9 yesterday, because the problems somehow are connected to Java. No improvement. I have decided not to go back to SP2, since the outcome is unsure and I need to be able to work.
I found a site where all versions ever of Java are stored; maybe I I'll start testing some of those.

[Bijgewerkt op 2010-10-17 07:05 GMT]

dkalinic
Croatian to German
+ ...
It's a disaster for me too Oct 17, 2010

Studio SP3 is a disaster for me too. It doesn't prepare the TTX files right. Every time I get the following message:

"QuickInserts will not be available. Failed to create Framework 1 plug-in filter components. Error in plug-in definition file \Users\Davor\AppData\Local\Temp\stldpqvu.wv5\ktrkaj0m.wfq.xml: Failed to load C++ Plug-in DLL C:\Program Files (x86)\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\Studio1\TradoWordBinaryFile.dll

[File type ID: Trados Word Filter 1.0.0.]"

Could anybody provide help?

Regards,
Davor

Netherlands
Member (2009)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Same error message... kind of Oct 17, 2010

Hi Davor,

Some of the suggested solutions by SDL were about settings in Java.
After that I got the same kind of error message; at least the first part "QuickInserts will not be available. Failed to create Framework 1 plug-in filter components. Error in plug-in definition file..." is the same, every time I open TermBase in Studio.

Michel

United Kingdom
English
Maybe compatibility mode? Oct 17, 2010

Davor Kalinic wrote:
Studio SP3 is a disaster for me too. It doesn't prepare the TTX files right. Every time I get the following message:

Hi Davor,

There is an option when handling TTX files to use Compatibility mode. You can find this under Tools-Options and in Project Settings under the TRADOStag filetype.

The default option uses Smart Tag Pairing and this mode attempts to ensure you always have opening and closing tags in Studio to support the semi-wysiwyg formatting available with this filetype. Sometimes, using this option can cause the back conversion of files to fail. Perhaps you can try preparing the TTX files again with this option checked to disable Smart Tag Pairing.

Regards

Paul

dkalinic
Croatian to German
+ ...
No solution Oct 17, 2010

SDL Support wrote:

Davor Kalinic wrote:

Hi Davor,

There is an option when handling TTX files to use Compatibility mode. You can find this under Tools-Options and in Project Settings under the TRADOStag filetype.

The default option uses Smart Tag Pairing and this mode attempts to ensure you always have opening and closing tags in Studio to support the semi-wysiwyg formatting available with this filetype. Sometimes, using this option can cause the back conversion of files to fail. Perhaps you can try preparing the TTX files again with this option checked to disable Smart Tag Pairing.

Regards

Paul

This doesn't seem to give any results. I tried this option myself before but the same error messages appear all over again. Looks like SP3 is a half-product which hasn't been tested in all kind of environment. Why am I not surprised? Nothing new when SDL Trados (no matter what version) is in question. I better stick to 2007 Suite and Wordfast Pro which handles TTX files neatly and without any problems. In comparison with Trados 2009 Studio it doesn't mess up the tags.

Regards,
Davor

Netherlands
Member (2009)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Come on...! Oct 17, 2010

Devor,

If you want to dis SDL, please open your own topic!
No software is perfect and highly complex software like Trados Studio has to run on many, many different configurations. They'll figure it out, I'm sure...

Michel

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Testing SP3 since the first beta Oct 17, 2010

Davor Kalinic wrote:
Looks like SP3 is a half-product which hasn't been tested in all kind of environment. Why am I not surprised? Nothing new when SDL Trados (no matter what version) is in question.

Well, I can definitely prove the opposite, because I have been testing SP3 on my computer with a wide variety of formats in my daily work. Obviously I do not state, that it works under all circumstances, but no software does and for no software this can be promised.
As far I could test things work.
My environment:
Intel Core Quad with 8 GB RAM. 640 GB HDD, ATi graphics.
Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit SP2
Office 2003 SP3
Office 2007 SP2

Works also with
Windows XP SP3 (laptop)
Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit (netbook)

Tom Fennell
United States
Local time: 15:08
Member (2010)
Russian to English
+ ...
Thanks Paul Oct 17, 2010

SDL Support wrote:

Hi Thomas,

There is a fix in SP3 for this issue, and for most users it takes effect. But we have seen this failing for some, as seen here. It may be that the problem arises because the sidebyside tools are not installed and activated for some reason.

Can you try the following to ensure they are installed correctly.

First of all you need to make sure the sidebyside tool is installed. You can install it by running the Sdl.Multiterm.SideBySide.msi which you can find here;

C:\Program Files\SDL\Installers\SDLTradosStudio2009SP3\modules

Or

C:\Program Files\SDL\Installers\SDLMultiTerm2009SP3\modules

Once installed you go to the installation folder for the sidebyside tool (as it may not be in the startmenu if you don't make use of MultiTerm 2007 as well) and the _ModifyShortcuts.cmd which you can find here;

C:\Program Files\SDL\SDL MultiTerm\MultiTermSideBySide

Now start Workbench again, close it (just to make sure the term recognition is broken) and start Studio again. There should be a pop up window showing the setup of the components before Studio starts that fix this issue when switching between versions.

This might fix the problem. SP3 does this automatically for the majority of users but as we can see, for some it does not. It may be down to the order in which the software is all installed, not sure; can you tell me in which order you installed the software?

Regards

Paul

Thanks Paul - have a huge job with heavy Multiterm use next day-2 and don't want to risk mucking anything up now, but I'll try this mid-week.

Best,

Tom

Netherlands
Member (2009)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Developements... Oct 18, 2010

OK. Back to adding new entries to the open TB.
I did some experimenting with the memory settings in Java. The advised setting was -Xmx16m. I changed that to -Xmx256m and to my surprice the problem was gone. Unfortunately only for one instance. The moment I opened a new project, the problem was back again. So I changed the setting to -Xmx512m, and the problem was gone again... for one time. The next project returned the problem.

Anybody have a clue about what's happening here? I sure do not...

Regards,
Michel

United Kingdom
English
Wrong Path and incorrect filetypes being used Oct 18, 2010

Davor Kalinic wrote:

"QuickInserts will not be available. Failed to create Framework 1 plug-in filter components. Error in plug-in definition file \Users\Davor\AppData\Local\Temp\stldpqvu.wv5\ktrkaj0m.wfq.xml: Failed to load C++ Plug-in DLL C:\Program Files (x86)\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\Studio1\TradoWordBinaryFile.dll

[File type ID: Trados Word Filter 1.0.0.]"

Could anybody provide help?

Regards,
Davor

Hi Davor,

One of our Support Engineers looked at your post this morning and thinks that your problem is caused by your file type folder being incorrectly mapped to to the Temp folder (and not to the Documents folder). So you can try deleting all files in the Temp folder of your computer (press Windows key + R and type %temp% to access it) and then replace your filetypes as follows.

1. Close Studio

2. Delete all the filetypes (apart from any custom filetypes you made) in this folder. Make sure you also delete FilterFramework2Configuration.xml

c:\Users\Davor\Documents\SDL Trados Studio\File Types\

3. Copy all the files including FilterFramework2Configuration.xml from here;

c:\Program Files (x86)\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\Studio1\File Types\

To here

c:\Users\Davor\Documents\SDL Trados Studio\File Types\

4. Now start Studio again and see if this helps.

Regards

Paul

Vincent Lemma  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2008)
Italian to English
+ ...
Can't get this thing running Oct 20, 2010

Hi,
I am trying to get familiarized with Trados but I am quite a few issues.
Aside from a post I submitted on TagEditor, I cannot, for the love of god,
translate in Word 2007!
What I mean is, that I do not have any SDL plug-in in the ribbon of Word 2007!
I have installed SDL Trados studio 2007, 2009 SP3 on Windows 7, 32 bit.
The only thing from SDL that I see in the ribbon is Multi-term, but nothing else,
so I really do not know what to do to integrate SDL with word.

Thanks for all the help, rather new at Trados.
Cheers,

Vince

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SP3 for Studio is a disaster (for me anyway)

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search