Holger Remke  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:56
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
Oct 18, 2010

Hello there,

I've got a very large Word doc (6 MB) with a lot of textfields, tables, editable graphics, formulars etc. to translate. I tried to open it in TagEditor but he didn't manage to open it (Runtime error).

I fear I will have to translate the text in Word with Trados Workbench (8.3 Build 863) and the 1st big problem apears already: the "end of paragraph" mark sometimes changes the format to tw4winmark so that the whole text in the paragraph turns into this format (i.e. the format of the Trados tags). Is there a way to avoid this? (perhaps within the templates of Word?)

I already changed from .doc to .rtf and also have got a pretranslated version of the Word document but this didn't solve the problem.

I'm grateful for any hints. Thank you!

Holger

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Please stop using Workbench in Word Oct 18, 2010

Use TagEditor instead and all your problems will be gone.
What is happening in your document is hard to tell not having it on my computer, but as usual in the combination WB-Word the mystery is formatting of source.
So instead of spending hours on correcting formatting just use TagEditor

Germany
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
TagEditor cannot open the document Oct 18, 2010

Hi Jerzy,

thank you again for your help!
You're right and I would "love" to work in TagEditor (TE) but when I try to open the file in .doc format in TE, the following message appears: "Cannot be opened due to tracked changes that have not yet been accepted" - although there seem to be no tracked changes at all; despite of this I activated the corresponding toolbar in Word, accepted all changes and saved the document. Afterwards I received the same error message.

I then changed the .doc into .rtf and tried my luck several times with TE but the program always crashed with "runtime error". Hmmm.

Perhaps I should try to split the file in several parts.

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Open the document in OpenOffice Oct 18, 2010

save as doc and try again.
It is indeed sometimes a mystery, but the trick with OO works nearly always.
Otherwise send me the document and I'll create a TTX for you.

Germany
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
2 pages lost... Oct 18, 2010

I tried this but the rtf file that I opened in OpenOffice and saved as .doc has got 2 pages less than the original document and the Table of contents and the table of figures are "destroyed", i.e. the page references are lost.
I can open this document in TagEditor but I'm not sure if I can trust this version...

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Would you please send me the file? Oct 18, 2010

You have my e-mail address.
There are still some tricks to follow.
The first one would be allowing the track-changes mode, doing some marginal changes, accepting them all, switching off the track changes mode. Then in Filter settings (to be found in Trados program group, subgroup Filters) select the proper format and allow processing of documents with unconfirmed changes.
Otherwise store as docx, close Word, reopen and store back as 2003.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Format changes to tw4winmark: Word 2003 and Workbench 2007

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search