SDL XLIFF Converter for Microsoft Office
Thread poster: jimshanks

jimshanks
Local time: 19:36
Dutch to English
Oct 18, 2010

The last SDL seminar I attended demonstrated the SDL XLIFF Converter for Microsoft Office and it appears to be a very hand tool indeed.
Unfortunately it is not yet available through Open Exchange yet - the seminar announced it would "be available soon".
Does anyone know exactly when this might be and if there will be any kind of announcement of its release.

Thanks

Jim

[Edited at 2010-10-18 11:57 GMT]

Susana Valdez  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2006)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Browse Studio apps Oct 18, 2010

Hi Jim,

I don't know when it will be released, but you can check this page dedicated to apps. When and if it is released, you will be able to download it here:

http://www.sdl.com/en/language-technology/partners/sdl-openexchange/browse-studio-applications/

Best Regards,

Susana

jimshanks
Dutch to English
TOPIC STARTER
Not quite ready Oct 18, 2010

Thanks Susana,

Many thanks for you reply. I understand from a friend that it is not ready for release yet but will keep my eyes open.
I am sure that our good friends at SDL will let us know when we can download it. It really did seem to be a useful tool for those who like working in Word.

The reason I posed the question was to save having to browse back to Open Exchange on the off-chance that it might be there and perhaps alert others who were not able to attend the Webinar that this really could be a worthwhile tool for them to check out.

Jim

PMz
Already released Jan 14, 2011

jimshanks wrote:

The last SDL seminar I attended demonstrated the SDL XLIFF Converter for Microsoft Office and it appears to be a very hand tool indeed.
Unfortunately it is not yet available through Open Exchange yet - the seminar announced it would "be available soon".
Does anyone know exactly when this might be and if there will be any kind of announcement of its release.

Thanks

Jim

[Edited at 2010-10-18 11:57 GMT]

Hi,
the app was already released (actually at the end of the last year).
Enjoy
PM

Carole Patton  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:36
French to English
+ ...
Problem with download Aug 26, 2011

Having logged into SDL and clicked the Download Now button at http://www.sdl.com/en/language-technology/sdl-openexchange/AppDetails.aspx?appid=2
a tab entitled "HTTP 400 Incorrect Request" opened to say the page could not be found.

Has anybody else had this problem and/or have a suggestion/solution?

Many thanks in advance,

Carole

Carole Patton  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Problem with download solved Aug 30, 2011

Sorry, false alarm. Download successful in other browsericon_smile.gif

Selima Ben Chagra
Tunisia
Arabic to French
+ ...
Trying to convert an sdlxliff Jul 21, 2012

Problem solved

[Edited at 2012-07-21 14:13 GMT]

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:36
Finnish to French
How? Jul 21, 2012

bridgepro wrote:
Problem solved

Just for the record: how did you solve your problem?
My understanding is that the XLIFF Converter for MS Office has been obsoleted by SP2 in Studio 2011: the same functionality is now available without having to resort to an external plugin, by selecting File > Export for External Review directly within Studio.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Incorrect... Jul 21, 2012

Dominique Pivard wrote:
My understanding is that the XLIFF Converter for MS Office has been obsoleted by SP2 in Studio 2011: the same functionality is now available without having to resort to an external plugin, by selecting File > Export for External Review directly within Studio.

Hi Dominique,

It is still installed as a separate application because it has other features. The integrated tool is for review in Word alone. There is a blog on this here: http://goo.gl/SCs98

Regards

Paul

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:36
Finnish to French
I stand corrected! Jul 21, 2012

SDL Support wrote:
It is still installed as a separate application because it has other features. The integrated tool is for review in Word alone. There is a blog on this here: http://goo.gl/SCs98

Thanks, Paul! I didn't realize the plugin also allows export to Excel and XML. And I guess the batch feature (drag & drop an entire project, nice video, btw) isn't available via the built-in menu option either.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
You better stand up again ;-) Jul 22, 2012

Hi Dominique,

When the file is open in the Editor you can do two things, based on the specific file you have open. You can use the file menu to export or update the specific file:

You can also use a toolbar (View-Toolbars-External Review to add it into your menu):

But if you wish to do this for the entire Project, or for only the selected files in a particular language, as I showed in that video, then you would use a Batch Task:

Regards

Paul

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL XLIFF Converter for Microsoft Office

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 only €435 / $519
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on ProZ.com

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by ProZ.com and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €435 / $519 / £345 / ¥63000 You will also receive FREE access to Studio 2019 when released.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search