Trados drop-down menu not appearing in Word 2010
Thread poster: Sarah Downing

Sarah Downing  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:53
German to English
+ ...
Oct 18, 2010

Dear colleagues,

I recently purchased the latest version of Trados (Studio 2009) along with SP3. I've installed everything (including Multiterm) without any apparent glitches. However, I did have to manually move the Trados template to the Office 2010 startup folder in order for the Trados toolbar icons to appear (thanks to a past post on proz.com!). I am wondering why the drop-down Trados menu is not appearing though. From what I know from Office 2003, this should appear in addition to the toolbar icons, particularly as it seems to contain a few extra options. Is there any way to make this appear or is this a compatibility problem?

Also, I cleaned up a document as a test and noticed that I was unable to clean it unless I close the document first (as a command pops up telling me the document is in use). Is there any way of overriding this? I was able to clean documents in Office 2003 irrespective of whether they were open or not.

Thank you very much in advance for any tips!

Sarah Downing

German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Extra info Oct 18, 2010

I just realised that it might not work because Word 2010 doesn't generally have any drop-down menus except for the File menu, but I wonder if there is any way of enabling quick access to such options as fix document, which was something that I ended up having to use occasionally and doesn't seem to be represented by an icon.

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 00:53
French to German
+ ...
Its all in the ribbon Oct 18, 2010

I am wondering why the drop-down Trados menu is not appearing though. From what I know from Office 2003, this should appear in addition to the toolbar icons, particularly as it seems to contain a few extra options.

You partially found the answer yourself: Word 2010 does not have any menus, but ribbons instead. You'll find all the commands in the 'SDL Trados' ribbon. It also contains the "Fix Document" option.

Also, I cleaned up a document as a test and noticed that I was unable to clean it unless I close the document first (as a command pops up telling me the document is in use). Is there any way of overriding this? I was able to clean documents in Office 2003 irrespective of whether they were open or not.

Do you mean the cleanup function in Workbench or the cleanup macro? If you use the cleanup function in Workbench, it is obvious that you need to close the document in Word before you do this, otherwise the file would still be in use. This is true for any version of Word. If you use the cleanup macro inside Word however, you work directly on the file that is open in your Word session. There is no difference in procedure or behavior between Office 2003, 2007 and 2010.

Walter

German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Unfortunately, certain commands ARE missing in the ribbon Oct 18, 2010

[quote]Walter Blaser wrote:

You partially found the answer yourself: Word 2010 does not have any menus, but ribbons instead. You'll find all the commands in the 'SDL Trados' ribbon. It also contains the "Fix Document" option.

Unfortunately, this is not the case Walter. I have checked the ribbon and it does not contain certain commands such as the fix document option.

Do you mean the cleanup function in Workbench or the cleanup macro? If you use the cleanup function in Workbench, it is obvious that you need to close the document in Word before you do this, otherwise the file would still be in use. This is true for any version of Word. If you use the cleanup macro inside Word however, you work directly on the file that is open in your Word session. There is no difference in procedure or behavior between Office 2003, 2007 and 2010.

Furthermore, whilst this may be obvious to you and it would reflect standard program behaviour (a fact of which I as an experience computer user am well aware), I have to tell you that I can indeed clean up a document while it is open in Office 2003, so there is no reason in the world why I shouldn't be able to do the same in Office 2010. I like this feature and want to be able to use it in 2010, so am wondering what is going on.

PS: I forgot to say - thank you anyway for taking the time to reply.

[Edited at 2010-10-18 17:17 GMT]

Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Something must be wrong with your configuration Oct 18, 2010

Walter Blaser wrote:

Sarah Downing wrote: Unfortunately, this is not the case Walter. I have checked the ribbon and it does not contain certain commands such as the fix document option.

It does on my Word 2010, in the second section from the right I have three commands: Expand Segment, Shrink Segment and Fix Document. If you don't have them, it means that something is not configured correctly. Did you copy the TRADOS8.DOTM template into your Word startup folder (and delete the TRADOS8.DOT template)?

Walter Blaser wrote:Do you mean the cleanup function in Workbench or the cleanup macro? If you use the cleanup function in Workbench, it is obvious that you need to close the document in Word before you do this, otherwise the file would still be in use. This is true for any version of Word. If you use the cleanup macro inside Word however, you work directly on the file that is open in your Word session. There is no difference in procedure or behavior between Office 2003, 2007 and 2010.

Sarah Downing wrote: Furthermore, whilst this may be obvious to you and it would reflect standard program behaviour (a fact of which I as an experience computer user am well aware), I have to tell you that I can indeed clean up a document while it is open in Office 2003, so there is no reason in the world why I shouldn't be able to do the same in Office 2010. I like this feature and want to be able to use it in 2010, so am wondering what is going on.

The fact that this does work on your system with Word 2003 does not mean that it is normal and that it should be done this way. It should be obvious that processing a document in Workbench whilst it is still open and therefore in use in Word can cause unexpected problems and should be avoided. And, as I already mentioned, if you really do not want to close your document before cleaning it, use the cleanup macro. It will do what you want and in addition will be much faster than doing the cleanup in Workbench.

Walter

German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your help - your tips have solved my problem! Oct 18, 2010

The fact that this does work on your system with Word 2003 does not mean that it is normal and that it should be done this way. It should be obvious that processing a document in Workbench whilst it is still open and therefore in use in Word can cause unexpected problems and should be avoided. And, as I already mentioned, if you really do not want to close your document before cleaning it, use the cleanup macro. It will do what you want and in addition will be much faster than doing the cleanup in Workbench.

Walter [/quote]

Dear Walter, I am editing my previous post because I feel that I reacted overhastily and may have taken offence where none was meant, so I apologise if this was the case. I didn't think the answers to my questions were obvious though, which is why I reacted a bit sensitively.

The first time I read your response, I apparently didn't read it properly. It just reread it and noticed your tips about the templates. I have to tell you, this was the answer and you have saved my bacon! Thank you VERY much! I did not realise that there are in fact two different templates for the different versions of Word, but of course this makes a lot of sense. I'm very grateful for your help!

Do you know for a fact that Trados is not designed for one to clean up files while they are open? I just checked the reference guide, but there was no mention of this. Isn't it possible that Trados might have actually programmed it this way? This is a serious question because if I'm not supposed to clean up docs while they are open in Word, I will avoid this in future despite the fact that I always thought this was an intended feature and it has thus far caused no problems. However, how is it even possible for Trados to configure my installation in this way? If it's not an intended feature, shouldn't Trados have just refused to clean the doc in the first place?

Anyway, thanks again for taking the time to help me. Sometimes the solutions are so very simple, but finding the files and knowing precisely which one to put where can be less so. I have just switched from 2003 to 2010, so I was not familiar with the fact that there were two templates. Now I know.

Cheers,

Sarah

[Edited at 2010-10-18 23:11 GMT]

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Close file first Oct 19, 2010

Sarah Downing wrote:

Do you know for a fact that Trados is not designed for one to clean up files while they are open?

I can confirm that Walter is right. You have to close the file first. (My experience in Office 2000, 2007 and 2010)

German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for confirming Oct 19, 2010

Thank you for commenting, Emma. I didn't say I didn't believe Walter, but it is beyond me why on earth it works for me and nobody else. You have to admit that that is kind of weird and you can't blame me for assuming that this was a normal feature. I asked two other friends and another one of them told me that she can't clean open files either. Despite this, I am also aware that you can't do much with files that are open in other programs as I have encountered such cases time and again, so it boggles my mind what is different with my installation that magically allows me to do this. Either way, I can't do it in the new installation on my laptop and I'll be reinstalling Trados on my desktop too (when I reinstall the whole bloody lot), so it's good to know that this is not an intended feature because if it were, this would suggest that things weren't working as they should.

Cheers,

Sarah

Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
The cleanup process needs to access the file in R/W mode Oct 19, 2010

Sarah

The cleanup process in Workbench processes the Word document and removes the hidden text and tags before saving the updated file under the same filename. I can hardly imagine how it should do this if the file is in use in WORD! This is pure IT logic and not specific to the Trados SW at all.

Walter

German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It logic Oct 19, 2010

Walter Blaser wrote:

Sarah

The cleanup process in Workbench processes the Word document and removes the hidden text and tags before saving the updated file under the same filename. I can hardly imagine how it should do this if the file is in use in WORD! This is pure IT logic and not specific to the Trados SW at all.

Walter

Walter, as I repeatedly mentioned above, I am aware of how strange this is in terms of IT logic - I know a bit about It logic myself! However, that still doesn't explain why and how it would work for me. Originally, I mistakenly left the Word file open and then cleaned it up. I've been doing this for years and never once had any issues, so this is indeed weird and puzzling. Despite the fact that it goes against IT logic, it works for me - at least on this one particular installation.

German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Addendum Oct 21, 2010

As an addendum to my previous question: I observed how my Trados installation cleans up open documents. Well, it turns out that they're not open. When I click clean, Trados AUTOMATICALLY closes the open document, which is a pretty nifty feature in my opinion (assuming it's intended) and means that I no longer have to worry about cleaning docs when they are open because once I click on clean, they are closed. Also, it means that I don't have to close the document manually before cleaning.

Soluna
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:53
English to German
Could you please tell me exactly how you did this? Oct 23, 2010

Sarah Downing wrote:

Dear colleagues,

I recently purchased the latest version of Trados (Studio 2009) along with SP3. I've installed everything (including Multiterm) without any apparent glitches. However, I did have to manually move the Trados template to the Office 2010 startup folder in order for the Trados toolbar icons to appear (thanks to a past post on proz.com!). I am wondering why the drop-down Trados menu is not appearing though. Sarah Downing

Hi Sarah,

I have the same problem - and I am new to both Studio and Office 2010 (used Office 2000 before). How did you get the Tradols toolbars into Word exactly? Where do I find the Trados template?

Thanks!

Soluna

German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How I did it, but this might not work with other installations Oct 23, 2010

Hi Soluna,

Based on the above posts, I'm not entirely sure that this is something that is meant to happen in Trados, but my weird and wonderful installation does it this way. I had assumed that this was a normal feature of Trados, until I asked around and was told that nobody else's Trados behaves in this way. All I do is click on Clean and my open document to be cleaned is closed and then cleaned.

Cheers,

Sarah

Soluna
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:53
English to German
I meant the toolbars not the cleaning Oct 23, 2010

Sarah Downing wrote:

Hi Soluna,

Based on the above posts, I'm not entirely sure that this is something that is meant to happen in Trados, but my weird and wonderful installation does it this way. I had assumed that this was a normal feature of Trados, until I asked around and was told that nobody else's Trados behaves in this way. All I do is click on Clean and my open document to be cleaned is closed and then cleaned.

Cheers,

Sarah

Hi again Sarah,

Thanks for your reply. However, my question was related to how you got your Trados Toolbar into Word because I have got a problem with that and I haven't been able to fix it. I found the template file but where exactly in Word do I copy it? I am really struggling and have spent nearly 1400 Pounds on the new setup with Studio 2009 and Office 2010 - and I can't work now!

Thanks,
Soluna

German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Where to find the Word startup file Oct 23, 2010

Hi Soluna,

First of all, make sure that it is the .dotm template that you are copying and not just the .dot template. Otherwise, you will have the same issues as I did and not all Trados commands will show up in the toolbar (as the .dot template - as I understand it - is only designed for versions of Word up to 2003 and the additional commands are shown in a drop-down menu, which doesn't show up in 2010, as there are no drop-down menus other than the file menu).

You need to copy the .dotm template into Word's startup folder, so that it is automatically opened/activated as an add-on when you start up Word.

You should find it here: C:\Documents and Settings\Soluna\Application Data\Microsoft\Word\Startup

Once you've done that, you should find that when you open Word SDL Trados appears as a separate tab in the toolbar along the top. When you click on it, you should find that a menu appears with all the commands.

One thing you may have to do and you Word might also notify you of this when you first try working with Trados is to adjust the macro settings, as the .dotm is a type of macro and won't work if the macros aren't enabled.

To do this, go to File-Options-Trust Center-Trust Center Settings-Macro Settings (this is usually automatically displayed when you open Trust Center Settings anyway. If not, it is listed on the left). Then, I had to adjust the settings to "Enable all macros". I am not sure if the Trados template will work with the slightly safer setting of "Disable all macros except digitally signed macros", but I will have to try it when I get a chance as that is a slightly securer setting.

If you have any more problems, let me know and I'll try to walk you through it. Once you find the TRADOS8.dotm template and then find the Word startup folder, it's quite simple and adjusting the macro settings shouldn't be too difficult either, but don't hesitate to ask for more help if you need it. I'm thankful to Walter for letting me know that there is a special template for Word 2010 because that is something I wasn't aware of.

Cheers,

Sarah

Hi again Sarah,

Thanks for your reply. However, my question was related to how you got your Trados Toolbar into Word because I have got a problem with that and I haven't been able to fix it. I found the template file but where exactly in Word do I copy it? I am really struggling and have spent nearly 1400 Pounds on the new setup with Studio 2009 and Office 2010 - and I can't work now!

Thanks,
Soluna [/quote]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados drop-down menu not appearing in Word 2010

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search