Multiterm does not open
Thread poster: msw22
msw22
Local time: 15:16
English to German
Oct 18, 2010

Hello
I am a student currently enrolled in a course on CAT tools and a newbie to the Trados software. For the purposes of my course I was required to install SDL Trados 2007 Suite, SDL Trados Studio 2009 Freelance Plus and SDL-Multiterm 2009 Desktop SP2. I managed to align previously translated documents with WinAlign and was also able to create a translation memory, but cannot open Multiterm to create a term base. Whenever I click on the Terminology Management button in Studio, I get the following error message: “root element is missing”.
I uninstalled and reinstalled Multiterm, but the application will still not open.
Any suggestions on how this problem can be solved would be greatly appreciated.
MSW

Direct link Reply with quote

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 16:16
French to German
+ ...
Can you launch Multiterm from Start - All Programs? Oct 18, 2010

The button 'Terminology Management' in Studio is just a link that triggers the launching of the Multiterm application.

I suggest you try to launch Multiterm directly from the All Programs folder. This will tell us whether Multiterm is not properly installed or just the link is broken.

If you can launch it directly, simply forget about the button in Studio. If you cannot, I suggest that you run a repair of the Multiterm installation.

Walter

msw22
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Still cannot launch Multiterm Oct 18, 2010

Dear Walter
Thanks so much for your fast reply. I tried to launch Multiterm directly from the All Programs folder. Unfortunately, I still get the same error message. How do I run a repair of the Multiterm installation?
Miriam

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Please try the Side-by-Side tools Oct 18, 2010

This should be installed along with your Multiterm and Trados.
First launch the "Activate MT 2009" task.
Should that not help, try "Repair MT 2009".
If you don't have the corresponding program group, look in your Multiterm installation folder.

msw22
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Can't find Side-by-Side tools Oct 18, 2010

Dear Jerzy
Thank you for replying to my enquiry. This question might sound stupid, but I seem to be unable to locate the Side-by-Side tools. Are these automatically installed? Our course tutor provided us with the following download links: SDL Trados Suite 2007 FL, SDL Trados 2009 SP2 and SDL MultiTerm 2009 SP2. I followed her installation instructions precisely, but am not sure whether the Side-by-Side tools you mentioned where actually installed.
When I go to Program Files>SDL>Installers, I see the following files: MultiTerm2009, MultiTerm2009SP2 and SDLTradosStudioSP2. Where exactly do I have to look for the SidebySide tools?
Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Side-by-Side issues... Oct 18, 2010

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

This should be installed along with your Multiterm and Trados.
First launch the "Activate MT 2009" task.
Should that not help, try "Repair MT 2009".

As I noticed recently, the Side-by-Side tools are often installed incorrectly or corrupt and they don't work.
If you receive crazy messages stating Multiterm 2009 is not installed, you should first reinstall Side-by-Side in order to avoid the entire multicrap reinstallation.

Cheers
GG

msw22
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Side-by-Side tools don't solve my problem Oct 19, 2010

I installed the Side-by-Side tools and launched the “Activate MT 2009” task, unfortunately to no avail. I then tried the “Repair MT 2009” task, but I still get the same error message: “root element is missing”.
What else can I try to make MultiTerm work? Do I also need to activate MT 2007? I am at the end of my wits. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

xxxansticea  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Hi colleague! Oct 20, 2010

It is Anne from the course. I have been experiencing exactly the same problem, I don't know if that can help... But definetely help to keep one's sanity.
I installed and disinstalled multiterm three times, and I installed the whole 2007, studio 09 and multiterm on another computer to compare, which seems to work better. Yeh forget about the bottom "terminology management," and try to open it in My documents. For some reasons, it seems to be installed in two places.

What a waste of time, they are days where I just want to cry...
And it is supposed to make our life easier!? did you read all the other errors message and problems other people seem to encounter! It is just crazy!!!
I will talk about it on blackboard, as if that was going to help...
Good day

Anne

msw22
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Problem still not solved! Oct 22, 2010

Dear Anne
Thank you so much for your support. At least I am not the only one experiencing this sort of problem. I tried to launch the application from my documents, but didn't find it there. I also contacted SDL Trados. Hopefully they will be able to help me get out of this mess.
Keep you posted on blackboard.
Miriam

Mr.Q  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
STILL not opening (Multiterm 2014) Jun 27, 2015

Hi,

I have uninstalled, re-installed, tried both drives, removed Canon, checked all the pre-install instructions and STILL the programme does not open.

I have a support request logged with SDL but their suggestion was regarding Canon. Did not work.

I have had enough. I've never spent so much money for a programme that I have had to spend hours on, just to get the basic functions to work as advertised.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Multiterm does not open

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search