TGB Trados 2009 SP3, is this the full version?
Thread poster: Lucy Williams
Lucy Williams
Lucy Williams  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:29
Spanish to English
Oct 19, 2010

I'm interested in buying Trados 2009 and have seent the group buy on proz http://www.proz.com/tgb/430
but a friend told me to be careful of SP3 as it's a service pack and not the full version, is this true?

Also, does this TGB version come with sdl support, does anyone know?

Thanks.

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Yes it is Oct 19, 2010

It is Studio 2009 Freelance.
The only think it doesn't come with is the "plus" as far as I can see, which means you can create AutoSuggest dictionaries.
SP3 is the current service pack. It is the full application.
SDL provides free installation and licence support on all its products. (TGB and full price alike)
If you want to get support for other things (e.g. technical help) you have to pay for a support agreement separately and renew it every year.

Lucy Williams
Spain
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
support agreement Oct 19, 2010

That's hugely helpful, thank you. If I bought it through the TGB, how would I pay for the support agreement, do you know? Through the trados website?

Drew MacFadyen
Drew MacFadyen  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:29
Spanish to English
+ ...
Further clarification Oct 19, 2010

Emma is right, this TGB is for the full license - Studio 2009. The SP3 just refers to the service pack release #3.

The plus version is not related to making dictionaries - the plus version allows you to install the software on two concurrent machines for those working in a team or on a home network. The plus version is available with this TGB, when presented with check out, buyers simply have the option of buying the standard or the plus edition - plus is only an additional 50 eu
... See more
Emma is right, this TGB is for the full license - Studio 2009. The SP3 just refers to the service pack release #3.

The plus version is not related to making dictionaries - the plus version allows you to install the software on two concurrent machines for those working in a team or on a home network. The plus version is available with this TGB, when presented with check out, buyers simply have the option of buying the standard or the plus edition - plus is only an additional 50 euros.

The software does come with Autosuggest. Autosuggest creator is a different product that gives you the ability to create dictionaries out of your existing terminology. Autosuggest creator is a separate product and can be added on to the TGB purchase. It should be noted that Autosuggest creator works best when a linguist has a terminology asset greater than 250,000 units.

Hope this helps explain the TGB purchase and options.

Regards,

Drew
Collapse

Walter Blaser
Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
AutoSuggest is created from a Translation Memory Oct 19, 2010

Drew MacFadyen wrote:

It should be noted that Autosuggest creator works best when a linguist has a terminology asset greater than 250,000 units.
Drew

Hi Drew

May I just clarify the following: AutoSuggest is not mainly about terminology, but about suggesting sentence fragments from the TM (translation memory). The TM must have at least 25'000 (not 250'000) TUs in order to be able to create an AutoSuggest dictionary from it.

Walter

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Further Clarification Oct 19, 2010

To add to Walter's comment and to avoid any confusion:

AutoSuggest is a FEATURE to suggest portions of text as you type. This feature has three different sources:
- AutoSuggest dictionaries generated from translation memories (25,000 TU's is the minimum as Walter pointed out)
- Termbases
- Autotext entries

I hope everything's clear now.

[Upraveno: 2010-10-19 12:41 GMT]

Lucy Williams
Spain
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
support Oct 19, 2010

That's great. Can anyone tell me how to buy the support agreement and how much it is?

Walter Blaser
Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
You can buy the support agreement on translationzone.com Oct 19, 2010

The annual fee is 20 % of the value of the installed software and includes not only support but also free upgrades as long as the agreement runs.

Walter

Drew MacFadyen
Drew MacFadyen  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:29
Spanish to English
+ ...
Thanks for setting me straight - Support add on via TGB available Oct 19, 2010

Thanks Walter, Stanislav for setting me straight - 25,000 is quite a difference from 250,000.

Lucy, support for installation is provided by SDL free of charge, additional support level agreements which include free upgrades are bought through SDL as the PSMA. If you add your name to the TGB when we send you the link to process payment at the discount price, you will be able to add on additional items like PSMA, Autosuggest creator, Plus edition, training and more. You are not obli
... See more
Thanks Walter, Stanislav for setting me straight - 25,000 is quite a difference from 250,000.

Lucy, support for installation is provided by SDL free of charge, additional support level agreements which include free upgrades are bought through SDL as the PSMA. If you add your name to the TGB when we send you the link to process payment at the discount price, you will be able to add on additional items like PSMA, Autosuggest creator, Plus edition, training and more. You are not obligated to purchase these items, but as Jerzy points out, it has certainly been worthwhile for his business.

Regards,

Drew
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TGB Trados 2009 SP3, is this the full version?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »