Thread poster: MFoxTrans
MFoxTrans
MFoxTrans
United States
Local time: 22:22
Japanese to English
Oct 19, 2010

So they have posted this tool on the OpenExchange:

http://www.sdl.com/en/language-technology/partners/sdl-openexchange/browse-studio-applications/apps/sdl_ttx_it.asp

I downloaded it and tried it, but it is a disaster. I went to go open the resulting TTX file in TadEditor (2007) and the source lan
... See more
So they have posted this tool on the OpenExchange:

http://www.sdl.com/en/language-technology/partners/sdl-openexchange/browse-studio-applications/apps/sdl_ttx_it.asp

I downloaded it and tried it, but it is a disaster. I went to go open the resulting TTX file in TadEditor (2007) and the source language segments all show up as tags, not as source language segments. essentially no source language shows up. Completely unusable. any one else get this?

My other problem with this tool is it is essentially worthless (even if it worked) in its current form (just like their bilingual preview generator tool). For example, if I have a Word document, and I add it to a new project in Studio 2009, but for whatever reason I need it done in 2007, even if I could export a usable TTX file, i have absolutely no way to get it back to a target Word file, because TagEditor won't let me save it as anything but a TTX file.

If I am wrong or missing something on either of these points , please enlighten me.
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:22
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Well... you have the target Word file already Oct 19, 2010

Corianton wrote:
My other problem with this tool is it is essentially worthless (even if it worked) in its current form (just like their bilingual preview generator tool). For example, if I have a Word document, and I add it to a new project in Studio 2009, but for whatever reason I need it done in 2007, even if I could export a usable TTX file, i have absolutely no way to get it back to a target Word file, because TagEditor won't let me save it as anything but a TTX file.

If I am wrong or missing something on either of these points , please enlighten me.

Why do you need to save target from TagEditor? You can do that easily from Studio.
As I understand the purpose of this plug-in it is to generate a ttx out of SDLXLIFf and that's it.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Interesting result Oct 19, 2010

They are so bad I know My best guess is that the TTX It tool is designed to create TTX files for translating in Studio. You only select the source in TTX It and then when you open the file in Studio you set the target. This is deliberate because if you work on a multilingual, project you don't want to have to set all the languages as seperate files for each language before... See more
They are so bad I know My best guess is that the TTX It tool is designed to create TTX files for translating in Studio. You only select the source in TTX It and then when you open the file in Studio you set the target. This is deliberate because if you work on a multilingual, project you don't want to have to set all the languages as seperate files for each language before you start. You just create one file and then use Studio to create them for you when you set up the Project.

Try opening it in Studio, select your target language, then save the TTX Bilingual. Now try and open that in TagEditor. Maybe that's better? At the end of the day it's only using the Workbench API to save you time in creating TTX files. If you want to translate them in TagEditor why not use Workbench in the first place?

On the Bilingual Preview Generator, I'm sure they've created another disaster, but I'm afraid I don't see your point here. This tool is designed to create a file for Preview only from an SDLXLIFF. Nothing else. The file format can be a word document (with side by side or top and bottom display), an excel document, or xml. I has nothing to do with TTX It at all and it would never be added to a Project?

Post Post Edit : Maybe you are confusing it with this?

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/182404-revising_trados_2007_translations_in_sdl_trados_studio.html#1603087

Maybe you can clarify more precisely what the problem is with an explanation of the steps you are taking and why?

Regards

Paul

[Edited at 2010-10-19 19:20 GMT]
Collapse

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
purpose of "ttx it" Oct 19, 2010

Corianton wrote:

I went to go open the resulting TTX file in TadEditor (2007) and the source language segments all show up as tags, not as source language segments.

As Jerzy says, the idea of the TTX It app is to create a ttx so that you can work with it in Studio. So you shouldn't be opening it in TagEditor at all.

TTX It is precisely to save you opening Workbench or Tag Editor at all. It has worked for me perfectly every single time (that's about 3 times a day for the last month) and it saves a lot of time.

Open the ttx in Studio, translate it and "save as" (shift F12) in 2 formats: a bilingual ttx and a target language .doc (or whatever the original file format is). Now you can deliver your translation to your client in the original format and also as a TTX to ensure compatability if he/she does not use Studio yet.

HTH

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 11:22
English to Thai
+ ...
Quick steps Oct 20, 2010

On an earlier discussion about SDL TTX IT, it has been designed to open batch of files quickly and without repeating steps to work in Studio.

Soonthon Lupkitaro

natashawilliams
natashawilliams
German to English
Non-translatable text appearing in ttx files Jan 12, 2011

Has anyone experienced problems when converting xliff files from Studio 2009 to ttx format? The TTX it app works perfectly when converting MS Office files to ttx, but when I convert xliff files, I always end up with quite a lot of coding at the top of the file that appears as translatable. It always has the 'value' tags. Is there any way to omit this from the ttx files? Thanks!

freelancer_TH
freelancer_TH
Local time: 11:22
English to Thai
Do we actually have a tool to help Trados freelancers to work with SDL Trados Studio 2009 package? May 27, 2011

The purpose of TTX Its! is not quite useful if we need to grasp both ex-trados and new studio users to work in the same pace as we normally need to analyse and pre-translate the files at the same time as well. To do this, we need to use Synergy in SDL Trados 2007.

The question is "Do we actually have a tool to help Trados freelancers to work with SDL Trados Studio 2009 packages?". When we upgrade to use this new version, how can we continue working with our trados freelancers?

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
This tool is part of the answer... May 27, 2011

freelancer_TH wrote:

The question is "Do we actually have a tool to help Trados freelancers to work with SDL Trados Studio 2009 packages?". When we upgrade to use this new version, how can we continue working with our trados freelancers?

This is all about preparing work for translators you use. The easiest approach would be for the translators to use Studio Freelance or Studio Starter Edition because they would obviously be able to open and work on a package you send them.

If you only have Translators using the legacy tools then you need to prepare all your files as TTX first, and this is where the TTXit application is useful. There is also a compatibility setting in Studio to ensure that the roundtrip from Source to TTX to SDLXLIFF to TTX survives the trip without problems. You can find a document on this here:

How to work with the translation supply chain with SDL Trados Studio 2009 : http://bit.ly/i8qajn

Perhaps this is what you wanted?

Regards

Paul

Paola Leaño
Paola Leaño  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:22
English to Spanish
+ ...
Where can I find TTX-it app? Jun 14, 2012

Hello!

I'm using SDL Trados Studio 2009 and I want to create a billingual file. (I started from a .doc file, bad I know) the thing is that now I cannot download this TTX-it APP is not available at the link provided.

Does anybody know where can I download it?

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
new link Jun 14, 2012

Paola Leaño wrote:

Hello!

I'm using SDL Trados Studio 2009 and I want to create a billingual file. (I started from a .doc file, bad I know) the thing is that now I cannot download this TTX-it APP is not available at the link provided.

Does anybody know where can I download it?

Try this link:
http://www.translationzone.com/en/openexchange/AppDetails.aspx?appid=1

If it doesn't work, go to http://www.translationzone.com/en/openexchange/ and search for TTX IT.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL TTX it tool

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »