How do I find my translated TUs in Studio?
Thread poster: Sherefedin MUSTAFA

Sherefedin MUSTAFA
Netherlands
Local time: 14:09
English to Macedonian
+ ...
Oct 19, 2010

Hi,
Pls help me find my 14374 translation units of a TM.
I am using it in Studio 2009 SP3.
I am 100% certain that some segments I am translating at this moment are yet translated and stored but they don't show up.

TIA

Mark Nathan  Identity Verified
France
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...
Update translation memories Oct 19, 2010

might be the answer, but I am not a Studio expert.

I have noticed that when I am backing up Studio TMs they sometimes do not seem to have changed since the last backup until I run the Batch Task "Update Main Translation Memories" or "Update Project Translation Memories" (I ought to know more about the difference between these two) in the project view.

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Did you always update your TM by finalizing Oct 21, 2010

Do you work with a project TM or not?

If you work with a project TM, confirming a segment will store it in your 'Project TM' and not in the main TM. Only when you run the batch task 'Finalize', the Project TM will be written to your main TM. This might be one reason why your TUs do not show up in your main TM. In that case, you would have to run the Finalize task on all projects where you did not do this.

Walter

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
The 'Project TM' is a way to keep your translations private for a while Oct 21, 2010

Mark Nathan wrote:

might be the answer, but I am not a Studio expert.

I have noticed that when I am backing up Studio TMs they sometimes do not seem to have changed since the last backup until I run the Batch Task "Update Main Translation Memories" or "Update Project Translation Memories" (I ought to know more about the difference between these two) in the project view.

Mark

The new concept of the 'Project TM' has been introduced mainly for groups of translators working at the same time with a common TM. When several translators share a common TM, as soon as one of them confirms a segment, this segment will be stored in the TM, which means that another translator could get it as a suggestion for one of his translations. However, the sentence that this first translator just stored might not be his final version of the sentence and he might not like the fact that someone else uses this target translation in another document because it is likely to be changing again.
In order to avoid these situations, SDL came up with the concept of the 'Project TM', which is a kind of "intermediate TM" between the translator and the "main shared TM". It allows you to keep your translations for you until you feel happy to release them to the other fellow translators. This is done automatically when you 'Finalize' a project, but you may also do this at any time during translation by going to "Project - Batch Tasks - Update Main Translation Memories'.

A project TM is created by default if you work with Studio Professional, but not with Studio Freelance. In both versions, you can change the default behavior, either on a project basis or by modifying the task sequence 'Prepare' to prepare without a project TM.
Studio SP3 has a new feature, which will - I hope - reduce the number of accidents due to the user not realizing that he updates a project TM: it shows the project TM separately in the list of attached TMs.

Walter

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do I find my translated TUs in Studio?

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search