Aude Sylvain
Aude Sylvain  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 15:40
English to French
+ ...
Oct 20, 2010

Hello,
I have a large text, and am requested to translate only half of it.

The part I need to translate is highlighted in yellow.

Is there an easy manner to exclude a large part of a file from being translated in Studio?

I am certain this has been addressed before but I could not locate any relevant
... See more
Hello,
I have a large text, and am requested to translate only half of it.

The part I need to translate is highlighted in yellow.

Is there an easy manner to exclude a large part of a file from being translated in Studio?

I am certain this has been addressed before but I could not locate any relevant thread, except this one http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/172169-leaving_links_or_text_untranslated_in_trados.html which is a bit different (speaks about single segments). I did not find this (basic) info on SDL's site either. Once again I am certain it's written somewhere but it seems I don't use the right keywords!

Thank you in advance
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
If it is a Word document Oct 20, 2010

Use the Search & Replace function in Word:

Open S&R (CTRL+H)
Press the advanced button.
Place the cusror in "Search for" field.
Press the Format button you see on bottom left, chose "Highlighted".
Press the Format button again and chose "Highlighted" - this way Word will look for NOT highlihted text.
Place the cursor in the "Replace with" field.
Press Format, chose "Character" and select "Hidden" (you must make that option active).
Use "Repl
... See more
Use the Search & Replace function in Word:

Open S&R (CTRL+H)
Press the advanced button.
Place the cusror in "Search for" field.
Press the Format button you see on bottom left, chose "Highlighted".
Press the Format button again and chose "Highlighted" - this way Word will look for NOT highlihted text.
Place the cursor in the "Replace with" field.
Press Format, chose "Character" and select "Hidden" (you must make that option active).
Use "Replace all", save the document.
Open this document in TagEditor, save as TTX, then translate that TTX in Studio.

That's all.
Creating a TTX helps to keep unnecessary tags out of segments.
Collapse

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
spelling mistake in highlighted Oct 20, 2010

You're right, highlighted text has been addressed before here
http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/176825-how_to_make_only_selected_highligted_terms_translatable_in_studio_2009.html
but unless you happened to search for "highligted" you wouldn't have found it...
See more
http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/176825-how_to_make_only_selected_highligted_terms_translatable_in_studio_2009.html
but unless you happened to search for "highligted" you wouldn't have found it
Collapse

Aude Sylvain
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Jerzy Oct 20, 2010

Thank you, yes it is a Word document. I was hoping I could do that directly in Studio... But that's perfect, I will go through Tag Editor!

Aude Sylvain
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
highlig... Oct 20, 2010

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

but unless you happened to search for "highligted" you wouldn't have found it

Thanks Emma I admit I didn't try with typos!

Aude Sylvain
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
error message Studio ("QuickInserts will not be available") Oct 20, 2010

Jerzy Czopik wrote:
Creating a TTX helps to keep unnecessary tags out of segments.

Hi Jerzy,
I did create a ttx, but I have the above error message in Studio when I try to upload it.
The "convert to translatable format" and "copy to target language" steps are ok, but I have an error message for the 2 last steps (Analyze files, Pre-translate files):

QuickInsert will not eb available. Failed to create Framework 1 plug-in fliter components.
Error plug-in filter definition file
\User\[name]\AppData\Local\Temp\eiuczdnx.nq1\jzcgg4c5.jje.xml:
Failed to load C++ PLug-in DLL C:\Program Files (x86)\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\Studio1\TradosWordBinaryFile.dll

[File type ID: TRADOS Word Filter 1.0.0.0.]

Do you have any idea of what it means and how it can be solved?

Alternatively, if I simply upload and work on the *.doc file (having hidden the appropriate parts), would be the difference (I'm not sure to understand what you mean by "keep unnecessary tags out of segments")?

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Another options Oct 20, 2010

Hi Aude,

If the highlighted text is easy to get at quickly then you could also use the hidden font attribute in Word and then when you open the document in Studio it won't be there. To see it you can use the filter to show all content in case you need the context as you work (or use the preview).

Then when you are done unhide the text in the target document.

Regards

Paul

Aude Sylvain
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Paul Oct 20, 2010

SDL Support wrote:

Hi Aude,

If the highlighted text is easy to get at quickly then you could also use the hidden font attribute in Word and then when you open the document in Studio it won't be there. To see it you can use the filter to show all content in case you need the context as you work (or use the preview).

Then when you are done unhide the text in the target document.

Regards

Paul

Hi (again) Paul,
Thank you, this was my question indeed.
Sorry but could you quickly explain how to use the filter in order to see the whole content?

Regards
Aude

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
The way through TagEditor is on purpose Oct 20, 2010

Dear Paul, believe me - I know how to
The circumvention via Tageditor shall elliminate ALL hidden parts, when I do not use TE as a medium, I get a lot of segments which do consist of only tags in Studio - this is all hidden text.
So that is why I go for TE.

And I think you are referring to display filter here.
If that is it, please show the "Display filter" (View - Toolbars), then chose "Show all c
... See more
The circumvention via Tageditor shall elliminate ALL hidden parts, when I do not use TE as a medium, I get a lot of segments which do consist of only tags in Studio - this is all hidden text.

If that is it, please show the "Display filter" (View - Toolbars), then chose "Show all content" there instead of "Show all segments".
Collapse

Aude Sylvain
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
TE Oct 20, 2010

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

If that is it, please show the "Display filter" (View - Toolbars), then chose "Show all content" there instead of "Show all segments".

Thanks J, the problem is that I have this error message when I upload the TTX (I retried several times) and still get it).
Would you know how to get rid of this? Or should I simply ignore it and translate the file as usual?

Thanks very much for your reply re the display filter! (phew, I still have a looot to learn!)

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Looks like your Filter Framework hast got damaged Oct 20, 2010

Could you please close Studio.
Go to the folder: C:\Users\yourself\Documents\SDL Trados Studio\File Types
and move the content to a different directory.
Then go to C:\Program Files (x86)\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\Studio1\File Types and copy the content to above folder.
Then start Studio and try again.

Aude Sylvain
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Done and a new problem appeared :( Oct 20, 2010

Hi Jerzy,

Thank you. I just did the changes you mentioned (*), but now.... I can open the ttx in Studio (and the 4 preparation stemps seem to be completed), BUT I can't use preview and I can't save the target file because "the tag structure in TagEditor is invalid".

(*) in fact I had done that yesterday, already, to solve another pb I had with the real-time preview funct
... See more
Hi Jerzy,

Thank you. I just did the changes you mentioned (*), but now.... I can open the ttx in Studio (and the 4 preparation stemps seem to be completed), BUT I can't use preview and I can't save the target file because "the tag structure in TagEditor is invalid".

(*) in fact I had done that yesterday, already, to solve another pb I had with the real-time preview function for PPT. http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/183295-real_time_preview_not_working_in_studio_sp3_powerpoint_2010.html#1607126
Now all the files I have in both "file types" folders are dated Aug 2010, that is before SP3 (August: when I reinstalled Studio, I believe). Is that normal, or should they have been updated with SP3 (i.e. dated Oct 2010)?

Thank you

[Edited at 2010-10-20 18:38 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-10-20 18:38 GMT]
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Mine (Studio SP3) are also dated August Oct 20, 2010

Could you please delete also the following files (obviously backup first):
C:\Users\yourself\AppData\Roaming\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\9.1.0.0\BaseSettings.xml
C:\Users\yourself\AppData\Roaming\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\9.1.0.0\UserSettings.xml
and try again?

Aude Sylvain
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
initial setup wizard Oct 20, 2010

Thanks,
I have done that (moved these 2 files to my desktop), and when I launch Studio, the initial setup wizard opens... Isn't there any risk that I loose everything (list of pending projects etc. - of course I have a backup of my TMs) if I go through the wizard??

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
No Oct 20, 2010

You may lose the list of projects in Project view, which you can retrieve by opening the projects (for example by double click on each sdlproj file).
Nothing serious will really be lost.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio - leave a part of the text untranslated

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »