Trados2007 error: Object reference not set to an instance of an object, for Ppt files
Thread poster: Susan Ruusunen

Susan Ruusunen  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 10:10
English to Finnish
+ ...
Oct 21, 2010

Could someone help with this problem..?

I keep getting the error: (-2147467259) Object reference not set to an instance of an object" when trying to clean up TagEditor file back into a PowerPoint file.

-I use Trados 2007, Workbench v. 8.3.0 (build 863) and Office Ppt 2007, and Vista.

I've already tried several earlier suggestions from the archives, but nothing has worked... Getting desperate here.

-Both the original pptx and the ttx I created, are indeed in the same folder
-I earlier did an identical job (same client) and there the cleanup worked just fine.
-Tried saving the pptx into ppt, no use
-Tried searching for some unnecessary xmls according to earlier suggestions to similar problems, they didn't exist
-Tried saving with a shorter name, no use
-Registered Trados yet again, no use
-Checked licences, all ok there
-checked translationzone help stuff, nothing suitable there
-Tried opening Powerpoint software in the background and then using Save Target as... in the TagEditor, but that keeps on giving a similar 'Object reference not set to an instance of an object.' and refuses to save anything.

Direct link Reply with quote

Adam Łobatiuk  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 09:10
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
PPT & rebooting Oct 21, 2010

You wrote "Tried saving the pptx into ppt, no use", but does that mean you created ppt files, translated them with your TM and tried cleaning them up? If not, you could try that - there might be some non-100% matches, but this should not involve a lot of additional work. Also: have you tried rebooting your computer and/or using another user account? You never know...

Poland
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
Werecat Oct 21, 2010

Also - you could try Werecat, which is popular with Wordfast users. You'll get a doc with tagged text, which will be later inserted back. It works.

Of course that doesn't solve the Trados problem, but will help you get the job done.

Finland
English to Finnish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
tried a few of these.. still no luck Oct 21, 2010

Adam Łobatiuk wrote:

You wrote "Tried saving the pptx into ppt, no use", but does that mean you created ppt files, translated them with your TM and tried cleaning them up? If not, you could try that - there might be some non-100% matches, but this should not involve a lot of additional work. Also: have you tried rebooting your computer and/or using another user account? You never know...

Hi Adam!
Ah, I mean: Originally I received the pptx file from my client, and opened that in TagEditor, translated it.. and then the cleanup didn't work.
Then I tried, just in case, to save the pptx as a ppt file, and tried the Cleanup with workbench with that (no luck).
- and yep, rebooted already a few times, will try the another user account next..

Edit: Still no luck with anything.
I'd really need some help figuring this out so I could deliver the files to a client.... anyone..?
I'll be happy even with wild guesses at this point!

[Edited at 2010-10-21 17:28 GMT]

Finland
English to Finnish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Help? Oct 21, 2010

I've now been trying to figure this out for over 7 hours, still no luck with any earlier suggestions. The client can't process the Trados files, so all I can do now is try to find a solution to this problem.
All help will be greatly appreciated - feeling a bit hopeless with this "#¤%&/ Trados.

Poland
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
PPT and PPTX Oct 21, 2010

Susan,

When you open the same file in PPT and PPTX formats in Tag Editor, the TTX files will be different. That is why you can't just change the file format and then try and clean up. You have to first save pptx as ppt, open the ppt in Tag Editor, translate it using your TM, and then save as the target PPT file.

What problems did you have with Werecat that it didn't work for you?

Finland
English to Finnish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
These might work, thanks! Oct 21, 2010

Hi Adam,
Thanks tonnes for your advice! It didn't occur to me that ppt and pptx create different kind of files, apparently I've been spoiled with ttx files , and seldom working with powerpoint.

Werecat works very well in fact, didn't know such a shapeshifter existed (outside TrueBlood) - thanks for the hint.
Shall see tomorrow, how the final conversion goes, it's a large file. Will update some info here.

Finland
English to Finnish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
still no results - powerpoint horror Oct 22, 2010

Ok, even though it is veeery slow to open each sentence in Word, Werecat works fine in general, but then gets confused when finds more paragraphs than in the powerpoint file. Apparently in a chart, trying to figure that one out, how to fix it.. (and Fix Document did not help) -- I even tried processing it several times with the back-conversion (red paw), and it always stops at that chart.

As for the .ppt and .pptx differences; very good to know - but for some reason, I cannot process a .ppt file in my TagEditor at all, as TagEditor crashes when it tries to open a .ppt.
-->Also tried editing the Regedit (deleting tageditor folder in it), which sometime earlier helped in another tageditor crashing problem, but no help this time.

I can, however, process a .pptx file just fine (which is the format I received from the client).
It opens in the TagEditor fine, works really nicely.. but then I cannot either Save it as target nor do the Cleanup.

Sigh,
Susan

Finland
English to Finnish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yesss, finally: Werecat finished triumphantly! Oct 22, 2010

I feel like I'm monologuing like all the baddies.
Anyway, thanks again tonnes for help Adam, your hint of using Werecat was priceless. I'll buy lunch, if you ever pop in Finland.

It left only a couple of topics out of the pptx, but those are fast and easy to change manually. The only real confusion she and I ran into was a wrong number of paragraphs in one table - I went back and forth trying to figure out how to even the number, and ended up adding two paras in the Word file, and hey presto - it worked!

What a relief! This file had 60+ slides, so this truly helped.

Will recommend Werecat to anyone running into same back conversion problems (although still hoping to fix Tageditor-powerpoint- "cooperation" issue).

Warm thanks & greets
Susan

Poland
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
Great! Oct 22, 2010

I'm glad I could help, Susan and thanks for the lunch
The error in itself seems to be a quite common problem related to programmatic references to MS Office and/or Windows. Maybe fixing the installations of MS Office and .Net components will help in the long run.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados2007 error: Object reference not set to an instance of an object, for Ppt files

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search