Alaa Zeineldine
Alaa Zeineldine  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 02:13
Member (2002)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Oct 21, 2010

I am using Trados 2007 to translate a very large file. The file that contains a large number of strings of upper case/number combinations that should be ignored (e.g. A120, X45, ES24). The combinations always start with a letter. I have tried setting up substitution for acronyms and numbers, which I need to do anyway, but this does not seem to work when the string contains a combination of letters and numbers.

Any ideas?

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Not for T2007 unfortunately Oct 21, 2010

In Studio however you could use the display filter to show you segments containing just those acronyms, then copy them to target and confirm.
For T2007 you would need to have a complete list of those acronyms and insert it in the variables list.
If you are able to separate those acronyms in a file, then you can easily copy them and then insert in the variables list. In that case even Trados 2007 will replace all them automaticaly.

Alaa Zeineldine
Egypt
Member (2002)
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks. Oct 23, 2010

It is not feasible to separate those string in a text file. Thanks for your help anyway, Jerzy.

István Hirsch
István Hirsch  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
Try this... for me it works Oct 25, 2010

I hope this will recognize the names of products containing capital letters followed by numbers without a space (A120, EX24, ABCD4567 and so on) as 100% matches during translation. (Quotation marks are not parts of the expressions).

Open the file in Word, go to Edit/Find & Replace and
Find: „<([A-Z]@[0-9]@)>”
Replace with: „{0>\1<}0{>\1<0}^p” Format: red
Wildcard: checked

Delete everything that is not r
... See more
I hope this will recognize the names of products containing capital letters followed by numbers without a space (A120, EX24, ABCD4567 and so on) as 100% matches during translation. (Quotation marks are not parts of the expressions).

Open the file in Word, go to Edit/Find & Replace and
Find: „<([A-Z]@[0-9]@)>”
Replace with: „{0>\1<}0{>\1<0}^p” Format: red
Wildcard: checked

Delete everything that is not red:
Find: (blank) Format: not red (click on „red” twice)
Replace with: (blank)
Wildcard: not checked

Change red to black:
Select the whole text that remained, click on the arrow next to the character colour symbol and restore the original automatic (black) colour.

Save the file with a new name and close it.

Open Translator Workbench, create a new TM, go to Tools/Clean up, where Add the new file and select the „Update TM” radio button, then Clean up. Ready.

Now if you open and translate the original Word document against the new TM, it will hopefully recognize the product names making it possible to translate them to fuzzy.
Collapse

Alaa Zeineldine
Egypt
Member (2002)
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
This regex solves the problem Oct 28, 2010

Thank you, István.

What I have done, is to use the regular expression you have suggested to change the style of all those strings to tw4winExternal. This seems to work pretty well.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Acronyms with numbers

Translation news related to SDL Trados

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »