Trados Studio 2009 SP2
Thread poster: Jun Amano
Jun Amano
United States
Local time: 16:07
English to Japanese
+ ...
Oct 22, 2010

I just bought the software. How can I use autosuggest? Environment English-Japanese. Right now no suggested words appear while I translate.

Direct link Reply with quote

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 23:07
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
info on autosuggest Oct 22, 2010

This post may help you:
http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/183308-tgb_trados_2009_sp3_is_this_the_full_version.html#1607317

Also, within Studio, go to Help and enter the word "autosuggest" in the search box.

Jun Amano
United States
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Autosuggest Oct 22, 2010

Thank you Emma for your comment. Does this mean that I cannot use Autosuggest funtion if I don't have enough units? Isn't there any default autosuggest?

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Yes and no Oct 22, 2010

Yes you can use the autosuggest function because it has 3 sources. So if you, say, have a termbase, you can use that.

No, you cannot create an autosuggest dict without having 25000 units. You can merge several TMs to make one as a possible solution or you can download one here
http://www.translationzone.com/en/downloads/autosuggest-download.asp
but they may not have your language combination.

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
AutoSuggest is created from a Translation Memory Oct 22, 2010

Jun Amano wrote:

Does this mean that I cannot use Autosuggest funtion if I don't have enough units? Isn't there any default autosuggest?

Jun

The AutoSuggest dictionary is generated from your translation memory and contains sentence fragments from your TM. There is no such thing as a "default AutoSuggest dictionary", exactly the same as there is no "default translation memory".
If SDL wanted to deliver this with the product, the big question would be: what should these memories contain? I fear, the answer would be very difficult (without even considering the intellectual property issues).

Walter

Jun Amano
United States
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Default autosuggets Oct 22, 2010

Thank you Walter.
I asked the question because when I refered to the Trados instructions.
"How to add an autoSuggest Dictionary file"
The note says: Default AutoSuggest dictionaries are used when you create a project or start a new translation using the Open Document command.

What does this Default Autosuggest mean?
Thank you for your help.

Jun Amano
United States
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What is a termbase? and how can I use it? Oct 22, 2010

I am sorry to ask very basic questions. What is a termbase? How does it help the autosuggest?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Studio 2009 SP2

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search