Target file cannot be saved (Studio SP2)
Thread poster: Joe ALTUNGY

Joe ALTUNGY  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 04:09
English to French
Oct 22, 2010

Hello,

After completing a translation, Studio SP2 doesn't want to save my target document with the following message

"An error occurred while converting fields back to Microsoft Word format: Possible field(s) deletion."

Does anyone have a clue? Thank you for your advice.

Joe ALTUNGY

Direct link Reply with quote

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Most probably a missing <field> tag Oct 22, 2010

Joe

Check your source text for the occurrence of 'field' tags and verify on each of them that the target also contains these tags.

'Field' tags MUST always be transferred to the target segment, otherwise this causes this type of blocking error.
A hint: such tags are often surrounding Internet hyperlinks (URLs).

Unfortunately, the Verifier tells you that the field tags are missing but does not tell you where in the document they appear.

Walter

[Bearbeitet am 2010-10-22 18:16 GMT]

Joe ALTUNGY  Identity Verified
France
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
URL confirmed Oct 23, 2010

Walter,

Your explanation confirms what I was sensing as I had twice the problem, and in both cases there were Internet hyperlinks in the source text.
Many thanks.

Joe

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
It is a quite common problem Oct 24, 2010

Because these 'field' tags are quite common, they are also part of the sample document which SDL uses for the training course.
And because it is so important to always transfer these tags to the target, I always spend quite some time explaining and practicing this in the course. I actually show the participants the error message that you reported and tell them what they need to check should they ever get this error message.

Walter

Joel Earnest
Swedish to English
F8 Oct 24, 2010

I always press the F8 key to check for tag errors in the last stages of translation. With the right verification settings, you can also check for things like repeated words at the same time

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Target file cannot be saved (Studio SP2)

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search