Studio 2009 SP3 and Word 2010 - Have I made a terrible mistake?
Thread poster: Soluna

Soluna
English to German
Oct 23, 2010

Please bear with me, I am a dinosaur!

I've ben working with the ancient Trados 7 and Word 2000 happily and productively for many years. Due to a recent malware attack I had to rebuild my system and decided to upgrade to Windows 7 Professional, the latest SDL 2009 SP3 and Office 2010 (as I am getting more and more files in later Office versions and the converter doesn't always work so well - and spent a lot of money on all that! I hadn't quite realised what a learning curve this was going to be). Word looks quite different but I'll get used to it. The problem is I can't work out how Studio and Word are going to work together. When I first opened Word after installing it looked normal (as far as I can tell!). After installing SDL it seemed to have some toolbar missing and there was certainly no Trados toolbar as usual.

Because Studio 2009 looks so strange to me I decided to go for the Trados 2007 option I was also given. After installing that I still have no toolbar in Word. It dawned on me that it may not actually work with Word 2010!

My preference would be to work with Trados 2007/Word 2010. If anyon has that setup please let me know whether it works for you.

Thanks!

[Edited at 2010-10-23 17:35 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Aude Sylvain  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 01:58
English to French
+ ...
template Oct 23, 2010

Hi Soluna,

in any case you need to install the template in MS Word ("Trados8.dot", if I'm not mistaken).
The process for adding new templates in MS Word 2007/2010 is explained here: http://www.proz.com/forum/wordfast_support/172040-installing_%20tool_in_ms_word_2007_windows.html#1516198

And no worries, I confirm that Trados 2007 works perfectly with Word 2010 (and 2007)!

Aude

[Edited at 2010-10-23 10:47 GMT]

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Use the TRADOS8.DOTM for Office 2007 + 2010 Oct 23, 2010

Aude's instructions are correct except that for Office 2007 and newer you need to copy the .DOTM template instead of the .DOT.

This will give you the 'SDL Trados' ribbon in Word. Note: it is not a menu anymore, but a "ribbon"-style toolbar. I mention this, because some posters recently mentioned that they could not find the Trados "menu".

Walter

Soluna
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Not there yet.... Oct 23, 2010

Thanks to both of you for your comments.

These are the instructions I found under your link, Aude:

"Unzip ptools.zip in the folder C:\Users\Aude\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates.

Click on the Office button, then click on Word Options. Click on Popular in the left pane, enable the option Show Developer tab in the Ribbon and click on OK.

Open the Developer tab and click on Document Template. Enable PlusTools.dot on the Templates tab each time you need it."

The problem is I cannot find án Office button in the Templates folder! There is a folder "Live Content" and the files "Normal.dot" and "Trados8" (the latter of which is the trados8.dotm that I copied to this location on the advice of another user).

I have now got a new Add-In Ribbon with the usual Trados buttons but I cannot use it because I can either see the document or the ribbon - not both together! As soon as I click back on the document after clicking on a command the Trados ribbon disappears again! It's very frustrating!!

If anyone has any more ideas I would be very grateful because I really have no idea how to handle this!

Thanks
Soluna

Soluna
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Typo Oct 23, 2010

I noticed that I wrote in my original post that my preferred option would be SDL 2007 and Word 2001 - of course that should have been Word 2010! Have corrected it now...

Aude Sylvain  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
- Oct 23, 2010

The problem is I cannot find án Office button in the Templates folder! There is a folder "Live Content" and the files "Normal.dot" and "Trados8" (the latter of which is the trados8.dotm that I copied to this location on the advice of another user).

I have now got a new Add-In Ribbon with the usual Trados buttons but I cannot use it because I can either see the document or the ribbon - not both together! As soon as I click back on the document after clicking on a command the Trados ribbon disappears again!

Hi Soluna,

The 'Office button' refers to Office 2007, in Office 2010 this button is replaced by the 'File' tab.
Please see below a more detailed explanation for Trados 2007/Word 2010. Since you can see the 'Developer' tab in Word I guess you may skip step 1, I mention it just in case.

1- click on the 'File' tab, then in the left had pane on 'Options', then in the left pane on 'Customized ribbon'. In the right pane of 'Customized ribbon', add the 'Developer' item in the right hand box (you will find the item in the left box selecting 'popular commands') so this 'Developer' tab appears when you open Word. Click OK and close the window.

2- in Word, click on the 'Developer' tab, then on 'Document Template' in the ribbon, and add 'Trados8.dotm' (*) (or enable it if it is there but not enabled). Click OK.

Now you should have an SDL Trados tab in Word and, if you click on it, a ribbon with all the functions, which should remain in place (and active) when you open a document in Word for translation and begin translating. Of course you must have Trados' Translator Workbench running (with an active TM) at the same time, but that's not specific to Office 2010.

Does it work?

(*) just in case, I double checked and in my computer (Windows 7) the actual 'trados8.dotm' file is located in C:\Program Files (x86)\SDL International\T2007_FL\TT\Templates.
The Trados.dotm item in C:\Users\Aude\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates is only a shortcut. That might be a difference between the way Trados and +tools are installed. Maybe that is why you're having those problems?

[Edited at 2010-10-23 23:13 GMT]

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
It is much simpler than this Oct 24, 2010

Soluna

You don't need to go through these complicated steps and also do not need the Plus Tools.

Simply close your Word session, then copy the file 'TRADOS8.DOTM' from the folder 'c:\Program Files\SDL International\T2007\TT\Templates\' to the folder 'c:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Word\' (in Vista + Windows7) or 'c:\Documents and Settings\\ApplicationData\Microsoft\Word'.

Then restart Word.

If the problem subsists, close Word and delete the file 'NORMAL.DOT' in Word's template folder.

Walter

Soluna
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
It's working! Oct 24, 2010

I just got it to work - reinstalled everything and followed Walter's instructions! Thanks to both of you Aude and Walter, I felt so alone with this yesterday and just having a reply and suggestions from someone made me feel so much better and in the end I was able to do it thanks to you! I have a great general PC support contract but those guys don't know anything about Trados, so this forum and people like you make all the difference.

Thanks again and have a lovely Sunday!

Kai Fiebach (Dipl.Ing.)  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
English to German
set your sails Oct 24, 2010

Because Studio 2009 looks so strange to me

I understand how you feel, a lot of us have been at this point. However, sometimes you have to leave the known shores to find new lands. So do yourself a favor and try working with Studio during calmer times. Once you understand how it works, Studio can raise the comfort and productivity to a new level, so you probably will not go back to Word later... Just be sure to read the "SDL Trados Studio 2009 Migration Guide" that Studio installs to get an idea of the new processing.

Soluna
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Will do! Oct 24, 2010

Thanks for your suggestion and for understanding!
I just managed to get Trados 2007 and Office 2010 speaking to each other so I will work with that setup for a while - have lost almost 2 weeks of work now so must knuckle down! But I definitely give Studio 2009 a try when things are back to more normality!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2009 SP3 and Word 2010 - Have I made a terrible mistake?

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search