Problem with Excel rows and columns - Studio SP3
Thread poster: Daniel Weston

Daniel Weston  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:06
French to English
+ ...
Oct 25, 2010

I'm having a strange problem occur with Studio SP3. I'm translating an Excel 97-2003 workbook with four worksheets. Worksheets 1,2 and 4 are coming out fine. For some reason, worksheet 3 is acting up. It happens after the prepare phase. The source file gets changed - the first four rows are changed and the first column is changed. I'm baffled as to why this is happening. It is very distressing. Has anyone had this occur yet? I really need to get it resolved in the next day, so I'm hoping SDL can help me out here.

Thanks!


 

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 18:06
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
Can you check your memory management trouble? Oct 25, 2010

Can you check your memory management trouble? This frequently originates from bad management of your PC RAM memory. For a quicker solution, I extracted only the worksheet in question (e.g. very complicated data structure sheet) to a new file, translated and copy & paste back.

Soonthon Lupkitaro


 

Daniel Weston  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:06
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
what memory management trouble? Oct 25, 2010

I have no trouble with my memory management. If it were a management issue the other worksheets in the workbook would be just as affected since they are no different from the one in question. I have done the same thing as you and I end up with the same problem. Did Paul ask you to help me?

 

ΕRѴӀЅ ОЅНΑϜӀ
Albania
Local time: 13:06
Member (2010)
English to Albanian
+ ...
What is the point? Oct 25, 2010

Greetings,

please rephrase the question because I cannot make a point from the above question. What exactly are you trying to do and what is not working?

Best regards,

Ervis


Daniel Weston wrote:

I'm having a strange problem occur with Studio SP3. I'm translating an Excel 97-2003 workbook with four worksheets. Worksheets 1,2 and 4 are coming out fine. For some reason, worksheet 3 is acting up. It happens after the prepare phase. The source file gets changed - the first four rows are changed and the first column is changed. I'm baffled as to why this is happening. It is very distressing. Has anyone had this occur yet? I really need to get it resolved in the next day, so I'm hoping SDL can help me out here.

Thanks!


[Edited at 2010-10-25 16:43 GMT]


 

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 13:06
French to German
+ ...
Can you translate sheet # on its own? Oct 25, 2010

Daniel

I know this is not explaining what is happening, but can you process sheet #3 properly if you isolate it in a separate workbook and open this one in Studio.

It would at least give you a workaround to get the job done and at the same time maybe help to find out what is going wrong.

Walter


 

Daniel Weston  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:06
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
worksheet on its own Oct 26, 2010

I've tried Walter's suggestion of creating a new file with just worksheet three, but I am still having problems. Somehow if gives different source words to translate instead of what is really in the source file. Paul was helping me with this, but he had to travel. I'm hoping he had time to pass it off to someone else at SDL.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Regards


 

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:06
English
Working on the sdlxliff Oct 26, 2010

Daniel Weston wrote:

I've tried Walter's suggestion of creating a new file with just worksheet three, but I am still having problems. Somehow if gives different source words to translate instead of what is really in the source file. Paul was helping me with this, but he had to travel. I'm hoping he had time to pass it off to someone else at SDL.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Regards


Hi Daniel,

Unfortunately I spent several hours at the airport and had to return; Finnair on strike. So we spent some time on your document yesterday. As I mentioned to you yesterday none of us have any problem with the excel file itself, however we can reproduce the problem using the sdlxliff you sent me.

I passed this over to the development team at the end of the day and they will hopefully find time to investigate it today. In the meantime I'll mail you my sdlxliff and maybe you can use this to get your translation completed.

Regards

Paul


 

Daniel Weston  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:06
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Oct 26, 2010

Thank you, Paul.

 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem with Excel rows and columns - Studio SP3

Advanced search







Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search