International Translation Day 2017

Join ProZ.com/TV for a FREE event on September 26-27th celebrating International Translation Day! 50+ hours of content, Chat, Live Q&A & more. Join 1,000's of linguists from around the globe as ProZ.com/TV celebrates International Translation Day.

Click for Full Participation

Is there a way to create a glossary from the existing Translation memories?
Thread poster: vramaswamaiah
vramaswamaiah
Local time: 23:07
French to English
Oct 25, 2010

Is there a way to create an automatic glossary from the existing trados memory file? I do have SDL Trados installed in my machine. Do we need to convert the existing memory files into some other format for creating the glossary? If any one knows about this, kindly reply back immediately.
Thanks in advance for all the potential helpers.


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Aude Sylvain  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 19:37
English to French
+ ...
Multiterm Extract Oct 25, 2010

I understand that this is the function of Trados Multiterm Extract (which does not come with Multiterm - must be purchased separately) :
http://www.translationzone.com/en/products/sdlmultitermextract/

I haven't used it yet, I can't tell much more about this. Maybe colleagues will be able to give more info or feedback...


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 00:37
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
Batch process Oct 25, 2010

Multiterm Extract is good for batch processing of your TM into a glossary. For selective inputs of terms, you can open a *.txt format TM as a source text document for translation, and (gradually) select certain terms as your glossary terms. You need not purchase a copy of Multiterm Extract.

Soonthon Lupkitaro


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Christiane Lalonde  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 13:37
Member
English to French
txt format TM Oct 25, 2010

Hello Soonthon,
Could you please explain more about this method?


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Aude Sylvain  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 19:37
English to French
+ ...
batch processing of existing TMs Oct 25, 2010

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.) wrote:

Multiterm Extract is good for batch processing of your TM into a glossary. For selective inputs of terms, you can open a *.txt format TM as a source text document for translation, and (gradually) select certain terms as your glossary terms. You need not purchase a copy of Multiterm Extract.

Soonthon Lupkitaro


Indeed, if vramaswamaiah needs a method to select terms manually and one by one, any method can be used: .txt TM, xls sheet, any terminology tool (either independent tools or integrated in CATs)...

My understanding is that s/he needs to process existing TMs. The question is "Is there a way to create an automatic glossary".
Selecting terms manually (one by one) to create a glossary out of an existing TM of thousands of segments might be a bit time-consuming I'm afraid.

Btw Multiterm Extract is available as a demo. This gives you a list that cannot be exported directly (for this one needs to buy the -awfully expensive- licence) but which can be used as a basis to create a glossary.
I assume there are other similar programmes available on the market, but I am not aware of these.

[Edited at 2010-10-25 10:55 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

István Hirsch  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:37
English to Hungarian
Multiterm Convert seems enough… Oct 25, 2010

…for the purpose if you extract the text from the .txt file first:

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/183434-multiterm_glossary_based_on_tm_possible.html


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Aude Sylvain  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 19:37
English to French
+ ...
Multiterm convert Oct 25, 2010

Hello István,

I saw the thread you quote after I posted my reply, indeed.
I am not sure to understand what the output is though: does this process allow to align the ST and TT in a table (2 columns), so you can either
- import the full TUs as glossary terms in Multiterm, or
- come through each TU 'manually', delete everything but the interesting terms and then import what 'remains' in Multiterm?

Thanks very much,
Aude


Direct link Reply with quote
 

István Hirsch  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:37
English to Hungarian
Multiterm Convert Oct 25, 2010

Hello Aude,

If everything goes well, you can extract the source and the target text aligned from the .txt TM file by this method. Then it is possible to use this two-column table, or just parts of it, to import into a termbase, after Multiterm conversion. If, for example, you copy/paste the table into an Excel spreadsheet and write the source and the target language on top of the columns, Multiterm conversion can be started.

István


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Aude Sylvain  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 19:37
English to French
+ ...
Multiterm Convert Oct 25, 2010

István Hirsch wrote:

Hello Aude,

If everything goes well, you can extract the source and the target text aligned from the .txt TM file by this method. Then it is possible to use this two-column table, or just parts of it, to import into a termbase, after Multiterm conversion. If, for example, you copy/paste the table into an Excel spreadsheet and write the source and the target language on top of the columns, Multiterm conversion can be started.

István


Thanks István! That seems interesting - a bit more combursome and... 1,000 times less expensive that buying Multiterm extract. I will give it a try asap.

I hope this will also meet the asker's needs.

Have a good evening!

Aude


Direct link Reply with quote
 
vramaswamaiah
Local time: 23:07
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Need your suggestion / help Oct 28, 2010

Dear Istvan / Aude,

Thank you very much for all your suggestions and help in this regard.

However, as intimated in my first posting, I have a project based Trados memory file, from which I am planning to make a glossary. I do not have a .txt TM from each of the source document. Using this TM (one single TM for the entire project), is there a way to create a glossary using any of the tools / applications available in Trados? Or MultiTerm Extract is the only answer for this?

Regards,
Vidyashankar Ramaswamaiah

István Hirsch wrote:

Hello Aude,

If everything goes well, you can extract the source and the target text aligned from the .txt TM file by this method. Then it is possible to use this two-column table, or just parts of it, to import into a termbase, after Multiterm conversion. If, for example, you copy/paste the table into an Excel spreadsheet and write the source and the target language on top of the columns, Multiterm conversion can be started.

István


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 19:37
English to Czech
+ ...
An idea Oct 28, 2010

Hello Vidyashankar,
AFAIK, you can export your TM into TMX. Then it should be possible to use Okapi to create an Excel table from the TMX (never tested that myself though); and use MultiTerm Convert to convert the Excel into MultiTerm.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 19:37
French to German
+ ...
You have to be aware of the difference between a TM and a termbase Oct 28, 2010

vramaswamaiah wrote:

Dear Istvan / Aude,

Thank you very much for all your suggestions and help in this regard.

However, as intimated in my first posting, I have a project based Trados memory file, from which I am planning to make a glossary. I do not have a .txt TM from each of the source document. Using this TM (one single TM for the entire project), is there a way to create a glossary using any of the tools / applications available in Trados? Or MultiTerm Extract is the only answer for this?

Regards,
Vidyashankar Ramaswamaiah


Dear Vidyashankar

The suggestions you have received explain how you could convert the contents of your translation memory (TM) to a termbase. But that is only the technical aspect of it. I hope you are aware of the fundamental difference between a TM and a termbase. A TM stores entire sentences in one language pair only whereas a termbase contains important "terms" in several languages. This means that you cannot simply transfer the content of your TM to a termbase, but need to "extract" the relevant terminology from the TM content. The purpose of a termbase is to be a kind of "dictionary" of important/relevant terms and not to contain entire sentences (otherwise it would the same as a TM). This means that you need to extract only the relevant terms from your TM and this process will always need human intervention as only you can decide which terms you judge worthwhile to take over to your termbase. There are tools such as Multiterm Extract that will help you ease this process, but it will still require human intervention in order to make the correct choices.

Walter


Direct link Reply with quote
 
vramaswamaiah
Local time: 23:07
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Only checking on the alternatives..... Oct 28, 2010

Dear Walter,

Thanks for the replies. You have understood my requirement perfectly.

Yes, I am aware of the difference between a TM and the termbase. I am not saying/asking that I need to convert the entire TM into a termbase. I need to extract only the important/technical/relevant terms from this TM in order to prepare a glossary. My only objective is to create/generate a termbase/glossary from the TM I have. I am checking about the alternative possibilities (if any) to carry out this task. It looks like MultiTerm extract is the only answer though it needs manual intervention again.

Regards,
VS.

Walter Blaser wrote:

vramaswamaiah wrote:

Dear Istvan / Aude,

Thank you very much for all your suggestions and help in this regard.

However, as intimated in my first posting, I have a project based Trados memory file, from which I am planning to make a glossary. I do not have a .txt TM from each of the source document. Using this TM (one single TM for the entire project), is there a way to create a glossary using any of the tools / applications available in Trados? Or MultiTerm Extract is the only answer for this?

Regards,
Vidyashankar Ramaswamaiah


Dear Vidyashankar

The suggestions you have received explain how you could convert the contents of your translation memory (TM) to a termbase. But that is only the technical aspect of it. I hope you are aware of the fundamental difference between a TM and a termbase. A TM stores entire sentences in one language pair only whereas a termbase contains important "terms" in several languages. This means that you cannot simply transfer the content of your TM to a termbase, but need to "extract" the relevant terminology from the TM content. The purpose of a termbase is to be a kind of "dictionary" of important/relevant terms and not to contain entire sentences (otherwise it would the same as a TM). This means that you need to extract only the relevant terms from your TM and this process will always need human intervention as only you can decide which terms you judge worthwhile to take over to your termbase. There are tools such as Multiterm Extract that will help you ease this process, but it will still require human intervention in order to make the correct choices.

Walter


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 19:37
French to German
+ ...
It cannot be done automatically Oct 28, 2010

vramaswamaiah wrote:

It looks like MultiTerm extract is the only answer though it needs manual intervention again.


How would you expect this to happen without manual intervention? Do you expect the software to be able to select the words you would like to have in your termbase among the full content (sentences) in your TM? Based on what should it do this?

Multiterm Extract can help you do this by suggesting terms based on their frequency of occurrence and filtering out "normal" words (so-called stopwords), but you will still need to go through them and validate them.

Walter


Direct link Reply with quote
 

István Hirsch  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:37
English to Hungarian
Multiterm Extract seems necessary Oct 28, 2010

Dear Vidyashankar,

I realize now, thanks to Walter’s explanation, what the problem to be solved is. I had thought the task was just to convert a TM, or parts of it, into a termbase without any change. If it is about „automatic” extracting a dictionary from a TM, Multiterm Convert is not enough.

Regards,
István


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is there a way to create a glossary from the existing Translation memories?

Advanced search







Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search