How to import Wordfast TM into Studio SP3?
Thread poster: Peggy Maeyer
Peggy Maeyer  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:11
English to German
Oct 25, 2010

Dear colleagues,

I am totally new to Trados but am considering to buy it now - so far I've been working with Wordfast (Classic and Pro). I've downloaded the Trados Studio SP3 trial version to get a first impression of the tool.

My problem: In order to be able to try out and work efficiently with the trial version, I would like to import my Wordfast TM into Trados. I tried to open a WF TM in Studio but this only lead to an error message, something along the lines of "this TM cannot be opened because Trados 2007 is not running on your system".

Which steps do I have to follow to import a WF TM into Trados? Or does this error message
mean that it is not possible at all to use WF TMs in Trados Studio SP3? Would it then be better for me to buy Trados 2007 first and then upgrade to Studio later? Or is there a workaround for this problem?

As I said, I am totally new to Trados and have no experience with exchanging TMs between different CAT tools either, so I kind of assume this problem might be not a problem at all for experienced users ...

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Peggy

Direct link Reply with quote

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 22:11
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
TMX format Oct 25, 2010

TMX is the industrial standard for TM you can import to Studio SP3. Although WF's *.txt format is same as Trados' *.txt format, the TM data structure are different. You need to export WF TM as TMX format to import to SP3.

By the way, if you cannot see TMX format option at SP3, your SP3 may be erroneous (some users claim about this on their latest update of Trados Studio SP3.)

Soonthon Lupkitaro

Peggy Maeyer  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Oct 25, 2010

Dear Soonthon Lupkitaro,

Thanks for your helpful answer, now I figured out how to do it.

Regards,
Peggy

Annabel Rautenbach  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Highjack your question: Work on WordFast files in Trados Oct 25, 2010

Hi there

Sorry for highjacking your question with my own question.

I have been using trados for a while now and have no intention of learning or buying a new program.

However, one of my new clients (who gives me a lot of work) only works with Wordfast. Is there a way that I can work on their txml files in Trados (I have 2007 and 2009), and return it to them in some sort of Wordfast file?

Thanks, all answers will be greatly appreciated.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
This method works well Oct 25, 2010

Annabel Koekemoer wrote:

Hi there

Sorry for highjacking your question with my own question.

I have been using trados for a while now and have no intention of learning or buying a new program.

However, one of my new clients (who gives me a lot of work) only works with Wordfast. Is there a way that I can work on their txml files in Trados (I have 2007 and 2009), and return it to them in some sort of Wordfast file?

Thanks, all answers will be greatly appreciated.

Hi Annabel,

You can try this method. It works quite well;

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/163400-how_to_open_wordfast_txml_with_trados_studio.html#1511623

Regards

Paul

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to import Wordfast TM into Studio SP3?

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search