Thread poster: Dominic Currie
Dominic Currie
Dominic Currie  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 15:30
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Oct 25, 2010

Is there a way to change the system field "created by" in SDL Trados Studio 2009. It seems to pick up the information from user name and computer name (in Vista) on the Computer or Laptop, but is there a way to override this?

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 20:30
English to Thai
+ ...
Find and Replace Oct 25, 2010

I remind of a simple way: use Find and Replace All functions when you open the *.txt format TM in Notepad or Word.

Soonthon Lupkitaro

Walter Blaser
Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
There is no .TXT export in Studio 2009 Oct 25, 2010

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.) wrote:

I remind of a simple way: use Find and Replace All functions when you open the *.txt format TM in Notepad or Word.

Soonthon Lupkitaro

Dear Soonthon

Dominic is talking about Studio 2009. There is no .TXT export of the TM in Studio.

Besides, you could also do this in the .TMX export, but what's the purpose? It would only change the user for existing TUs, but all newly created ones will again have the same standard value.

Walter

Walter Blaser
Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Unfortunately no Oct 25, 2010

Dominic Currie wrote:

Is there a way to change the system field "created by" in SDL Trados Studio 2009. It seems to pick up the information from user name and computer name (in Vista) on the Computer or Laptop, but is there a way to override this?

Not that I know off. This question has already been raised. As opposed to SDL Trados 2007, where one could define users with a given name, Studio uses the Windows user name as user name and I do not know of any way to override this.

Walter

Dominic Currie
Italy
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Another limitation of Trados Studio 2009 compared to Trados 2007 Oct 26, 2010

Thanks for the feedback Walter. You're right what I was interested in was being able to choose the username for the "created by" field going forward, i.e. for newly created translation units.

Anyway, it's a real shame that it cannot be changed. Perhaps someone knows how to change the user name in Windows (Vista) so that it gets picked up by Trados Studio 2009. I tried changing the user name on my laptop (which was in my wife's name), but although the user name changed in Windows it
... See more
Thanks for the feedback Walter. You're right what I was interested in was being able to choose the username for the "created by" field going forward, i.e. for newly created translation units.

Anyway, it's a real shame that it cannot be changed. Perhaps someone knows how to change the user name in Windows (Vista) so that it gets picked up by Trados Studio 2009. I tried changing the user name on my laptop (which was in my wife's name), but although the user name changed in Windows it didn't change in the "created by" field in Trados Studio 2009.

Moreover, this is an example of some of the limitations of Trados Studio 2009 compared to Trados 2007. I've come across another issue of lack of flexibility in Trados Studio 2009 as opposed to Trados 2007, in the setting the date format for substitution localization. In Trados 2007 you could pretty much set the date to any format, whereas in Trados Studio 2009 the date formats are tied to the language setting. This has created a problem for me because I have a client that wants US spelling, but UK/European date formats, however, I can't do this in Trados Studio 2009. Hopefully, this is an issue, like the inability to change the "created by" system field, that will be resolved in the future.
Collapse

Gfarley
Gfarley
Norway
Norwegian (Bokmal) to English
+ ...
Another use for this missing function Jun 6, 2011

When I import a .tmx file from a colleague I want the TUs to show that THEY translated it and when, not that I translated it on the date and time I imported the file.

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Somewhat different issue Jun 6, 2011

Gfarley wrote:

When I import a .tmx file from a colleague I want the TUs to show that THEY translated it and when, not that I translated it on the date and time I imported the file.

The issue you mention here is a different one than the topic of the thread: you have a TMX interoperability problem, while the thread is about Studio being incredibly daft about assigning user IDs.

Your imports are losing the creator ID and creation date on the import because of some TMX incompatibility.
I.e. in your situation, your colleague is probably using some other CAT, not Studio. Their CAT duly records the creation ID and date+time in the TMX. Then you import that TMX and Studio fails to recognize those fields for some reason, and assigns your ID and the current date+time to all segments by default. To fix the problem, you can try importing the TMX Workbench, re-exporting it and then importing to Studio (TMX handling is better in the old Workbench than in Studio), or you can try changing the o-tmf string in the TMX to "TW4Win 2.0 Format" to fool Studio and hopefully get a proper import.
If you think this is horribly broken and unacceptable, then you are right. It appears that CAT vendors are not interested in ensuring real interoperability. No big surprise there, but it's kind of infuriating.

Here's a thread on the original issue with the best workaround I could find (apart from fixing the TMX files after the fact).

It would be nice to have some comment on this from SDL. Will this functionality be added at long last? Is there an idea for this that we can vote on?

Dominic Currie
Italy
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Changing user ID in Windows for Studio 2009 Jun 7, 2011

I just wanted to mention that I found that I was able to change the username for the Studio "created by/changed by" fields by creating a new user in Windows (Vista in my case). A bit drastic I know, but for example I created a new user with my username on the laptop that originally had a username in my wife's name, and when I used Studio it picked up my new username for the "created by/changed by" fields.
In fact, you can set up as many users as you like in windows, and I've set up anothe
... See more
I just wanted to mention that I found that I was able to change the username for the Studio "created by/changed by" fields by creating a new user in Windows (Vista in my case). A bit drastic I know, but for example I created a new user with my username on the laptop that originally had a username in my wife's name, and when I used Studio it picked up my new username for the "created by/changed by" fields.
In fact, you can set up as many users as you like in windows, and I've set up another user and username for a particular client that prefers to use a specific code for "created by/changed by" fields.
Of course it would be much easier if you could go in and change the username directly within Studio like you could in Trados 2007.

By the way there is an idea to vote on for this feature at http://ideas.sdl.com/ideas/detail.asp?i=2846
Collapse

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Voted Jun 7, 2011

Dominic Currie wrote:

I just wanted to mention that I found that I was able to change the username for the Studio "created by/changed by" fields by creating a new user in Windows (Vista in my case).

That's the workaround I posted a few months ago, linked in my post right above yours.

Dominic Currie wrote:
By the way there is an idea to vote on for this feature at http://ideas.sdl.com/ideas/detail.asp?i=2846

Thanks, I voted and encourage everyone else to vote. Maybe we can eventually make Studio behave like a civilized 21st century application.

István Hirsch
István Hirsch  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
Workaround Jun 7, 2011

Almost as Soothon suggested, but with .tmx:

Export sdltm as tmx.
Open that tmx file in Notedpad++, and replace creationid=”old” with creationid=”new”.
Save the file (do not Save as) and upgrade to sdltm.

TUs in Studio will show the new creationid (of course, when you go on working, the TUs created after this conversion, will show the Windows' creationid.)

By the use of a more sophisticated Search/Replace in Notepad++ considering „creat
... See more
Almost as Soothon suggested, but with .tmx:

Export sdltm as tmx.
Open that tmx file in Notedpad++, and replace creationid=”old” with creationid=”new”.
Save the file (do not Save as) and upgrade to sdltm.

TUs in Studio will show the new creationid (of course, when you go on working, the TUs created after this conversion, will show the Windows' creationid.)

By the use of a more sophisticated Search/Replace in Notepad++ considering „creationdate”, you can set a different „creationid” for every single day.
Collapse

Gfarley
Gfarley
Norway
Norwegian (Bokmal) to English
+ ...
Retaining CreationID when importing to Trados 2009 Feb 1, 2012

FarkasAndras wrote:

To fix the problem, you can try importing the TMX Workbench, re-exporting it and then importing to Studio (TMX handling is better in the old Workbench than in Studio), or you can try changing the o-tmf string in the TMX to "TW4Win 2.0 Format" to fool Studio and hopefully get a proper import.
If you think this is horribly broken and unacceptable, then you are right.

Sorry I posted a bit off topic Andras, but I'll confirm your solution in case anyone else stumbles in here like I did. First, you were correct that the import file came from a non-Trados product, in this case Deja Vu. Fooling Studio with the tweak to the o-tmf string did not work, but importing it into Trados 2007, exporting it and importing it into 2009 DID work - the ID of the my colleague who did the translation and the date they did it now shows up in my TM instead of my ID and the date I imported it.

I thought most products got better in later releases. Obviously in this area Trados has got worse...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Changing the "created by" system field in SDL Trados Studio

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »