Cannot use SDL Trados Studio 2009 for translations from English to Chinese? Why?
Thread poster: Michelle Ningyu

Michelle Ningyu
Canada
Local time: 12:06
Member (2010)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Oct 25, 2010

Since the SDL Trados is installed in my PC, I could never get around with English to Chinese translations. The only effective functions for me now is the translations from Chinese to English....something must be wrong here, but I couldn't figure it out...

Any ideas/ assistance would be greatly appreciated!!

Direct link Reply with quote

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 18:06
English to Czech
+ ...
TM language pair? Oct 25, 2010

Hello Michelle,
may the TM language pair direction be the culprit? If your TM is Chinese => English, it goes without saying that you can't use it for English => Chinese translation and vice versa.

If my guess is wrong, could you please provide us with some more information? That would be very useful.

[Upraveno: 2010-10-25 17:36 GMT]

Michelle Ningyu
Canada
Local time: 12:06
Member (2010)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
TM has been set up successfully but it's not functioning Oct 27, 2010

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:

Hello Michelle,
may the TM language pair direction be the culprit? If your TM is Chinese => English, it goes without saying that you can't use it for English => Chinese translation and vice versa.

If my guess is wrong, could you please provide us with some more information? That would be very useful.

[Upraveno: 2010-10-25 17:36 GMT]

Hi Stanislav,
I double checked, for my TM Chinese => English, it will appear in TM bar when I do translation job from Chinese to English; and for my TM English => Chinese, TM appear in TM bar when I open English to Chinese translation job....

however it won't go any farther than that - which means, TM stays there in TM column; I can see the symbols of the TMs, but they are useless to me, i.e. none of the TM is functioning - they do not provide the word suggestions or whatsoever to me, which is the way they are supposed to conduct, is it right?

Only Machine Translation is working.

Any assistance/ ideas/ thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Does concordance work? Oct 27, 2010

Michelle

In order to find out what the culprit is, I suggest you try a few things.

The first would be to see if Concordance search works. If it does, you know at least that the TM is working OK.

If this is the case, try to lower the match rate (in Project Settings, under the TM, go to the 'Search' node and lower the match rate) to see if you then get any suggestions while translating a text.

You may also do a test with a small test document that contains similar sentences to see if your TM works ok.

Walter

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Expectations/Misconceptions Oct 27, 2010

Michelle Ningyu wrote:
...none of the TM is functioning - they do not provide the word suggestions or whatsoever to me, which is the way they are supposed to conduct, is it right?

Hello Michelle,
now I believe you misunderstood the concept of TMs entirely. The purpose of translation memories is not to suggest individual words, but rather entire segments (usually sentences).

If a segment has 10 words, the fuzzy search rate for your TM is set to decent 75% and the segment repeats later in the text with only 6 identical words (i.e. 60%), the TM will not provide any results because the fuzzy search rate is set too high.

You can proceed as suggested by Walter, or – I guess even better – create a small sample document with the following two sentences:

This is my first translation with SDL Trados Studio.
This is my second translation with SDL Trados Studio.

Then translate these two in Studio and you'll see if the software is working or not.

At any rate, I would strongly suggest that you take a proper training, especially if you are new to translation memory software.

[Upraveno: 2010-10-27 09:14 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cannot use SDL Trados Studio 2009 for translations from English to Chinese? Why?

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 only €415 / $495
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on ProZ.com

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by ProZ.com and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €415 / $495 / £325 / ¥60,000 You will also receive FREE access to our getting started eLearning program!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search