How should I return the unclean and clean files plus TM-files for TagEditor/TW?
Thread poster: Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 09:19
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Oct 25, 2010

I have done it earlier for TW+Word but not for TW+TagEditor. What are the differences?

Before I can do that, I have to add the missing tags that I know are missing in some target segments. The problem is I'm not sure how to do this and I have have a tight deadline.

I just got this large-volume project and have not had time to get into TagEditor. Only have until noon tomorrow Tu
... See more

I have done it earlier for TW+Word but not for TW+TagEditor. What are the differences?

Before I can do that, I have to add the missing tags that I know are missing in some target segments. The problem is I'm not sure how to do this and I have have a tight deadline.

I just got this large-volume project and have not had time to get into TagEditor. Only have until noon tomorrow Tuesday CET before I have to submit a first trial of the project. If the agency is satisfied I will get the PO.

I've started to translate a few of the more than hundred .ttx files with TW+TE, but I worry I won't be able to add the missing tags in the end and submit in time (or at all).

To submit the unclean files, isn't that just to "Save bilingual as"? (After I've added the missing tags).
Thereafter, to submit the clean files, "Save target as"? And finally submit the five TW TM-files?
Collapse

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 14:19
English to Thai
+ ...
Unclean and clean files plus TM-files for TagEditor/TW Oct 25, 2010

>I have done it earlier for TW+Word but not for TW+TagEditor. What are the differences?
You work on TE interface (*.ttx file format), not Word interface.
>Before I can do that, I have to add the missing tags that I know are missing in some target segments. The problem is I'm not sure how to do this and I have have a tight deadline.
Copy source (placeable) to your translated segment.
>To submit the unclean files, isn't that just to "Save bilingual as"? (After I've added t
... See more
>I have done it earlier for TW+Word but not for TW+TagEditor. What are the differences?
You work on TE interface (*.ttx file format), not Word interface.
>Before I can do that, I have to add the missing tags that I know are missing in some target segments. The problem is I'm not sure how to do this and I have have a tight deadline.
Copy source (placeable) to your translated segment.
>To submit the unclean files, isn't that just to "Save bilingual as"? (After I've added the missing tags).
Yes
>Thereafter, to submit the clean files, "Save target as"?
Yes
>And finally submit the five TW TM-files?
Yes. But why 5 TMs?

Soonthon Lupkitaro
Collapse

Fredrik Pettersson
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Do I need to use TW:s Tools/Clean up when translating in TagEditor? Oct 25, 2010

Do I need to use TW:s Tools/Clean up when translating in TagEditor?

Or is it enough to first "Save bilingual as..." (unclean file) and then "Save target as..." (clean file)? No need to use TW:s Tools/Clean up? It seems quite straight forward. The problem now is the missing tags in target segments. Because I can't "Get as placeable" as when I select a segment, sometimes not even the internal tags will get displayed in the green source segment field. So there is nowhere to copy from.<
... See more
Do I need to use TW:s Tools/Clean up when translating in TagEditor?

Or is it enough to first "Save bilingual as..." (unclean file) and then "Save target as..." (clean file)? No need to use TW:s Tools/Clean up? It seems quite straight forward. The problem now is the missing tags in target segments. Because I can't "Get as placeable" as when I select a segment, sometimes not even the internal tags will get displayed in the green source segment field. So there is nowhere to copy from.

With the 5 TW TM-files, I was referrering to these files:

the main TM-file, the .tmw
the other 4 files: .iix, .mdf, .mtf, mwf
Collapse

Fredrik Pettersson
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
"No verification plug-in could verify this document" Oct 25, 2010

"No verification plug-in could verify this document"

I just run a verify on the .ttx file but couldn't get it to work. Do I need to install a plug-in for verifying?

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 14:19
English to Thai
+ ...
My replies Oct 25, 2010

>Do I need to use TW:s Tools/Clean up when translating in TagEditor?
It is better to use: To update your TM.
>Or is it enough to first "Save bilingual as..." (unclean file) and then "Save target as..." (clean file)?
This is also OK.
>The problem now is the missing tags in target segments.
Your cleanup process can fail.
>So there is nowhere to copy from.
Tag view can be full, partial or brief.
>With the 5 TW TM-files, I was referrering to these f
... See more
>Do I need to use TW:s Tools/Clean up when translating in TagEditor?
It is better to use: To update your TM.
>Or is it enough to first "Save bilingual as..." (unclean file) and then "Save target as..." (clean file)?
This is also OK.
>The problem now is the missing tags in target segments.
Your cleanup process can fail.
>So there is nowhere to copy from.
Tag view can be full, partial or brief.
>With the 5 TW TM-files, I was referrering to these files:
I see.
>"No verification plug-in could verify this document"
TagEditor QA checker shows missed tags for you. Set Option before verification. No need for a plug-in.

Soonthon Lupkitaro
Collapse

Fredrik Pettersson
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
So I can use both TE and TW to get unclean and clean files? Oct 25, 2010

So I can use both TE and TW to get unclean and clean files?

And the best way?: Save bilingual as... (in TE) and Tools/Clean up/Update TM (in TW).

Should I add the bilingual file that I saved with TE when I use Tools/Clean up/Update TM (Add files to clean up)?

Fredrik Pettersson
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, it worked fine with the first file! Oct 25, 2010

Thank you very much, it worked fine with the first file! Will run verify on the other also.

Only received these error messages (because I have not translated the whole document yet):

(No error messages in the tag column).

Walter Blaser
Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
You should really spend some time on getting trained Oct 25, 2010

Dear Fredrik

Looking at the amount of questions you raised recently in this forum and the nature of them, I would strongly suggest that you get some basic training before you try to use such a comprehensive and sophisticated tool.

We are willing in this forum to help people who have a real problem, but some of your questions were very basic and even after we gave you an answer you often came back and insisted on the fact that you did not how to do it (e.g. about inserti
... See more
Dear Fredrik

Looking at the amount of questions you raised recently in this forum and the nature of them, I would strongly suggest that you get some basic training before you try to use such a comprehensive and sophisticated tool.

We are willing in this forum to help people who have a real problem, but some of your questions were very basic and even after we gave you an answer you often came back and insisted on the fact that you did not how to do it (e.g. about inserting a tag in the target when you had forgotten to do it the first time).
In addition, you seem to have the habit of posting all your questions both in the proz.com and in the TW_users forum, which does not really make a lot of sense, especially since some of the helpers here are active in both forums.

Another hint I would like to give: from my understanding, you started using this software only recently and you are currently experimenting both with the 2007 version as with Studio, with the risk of starting to mix up things. I would therefore join the advice that some other fellow list members have already given: go for the new generation of software, which is Studio 2009 and forget about SDL Trados 2007. It is already difficult enough to learn how to effectively use Studio that you should not make this task even more difficult by trying to grasp the two of them.

Walter
Collapse

Fredrik Pettersson
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I am going to continue to ask questions at this forum that will assist me as a new translator Oct 25, 2010

I am going to continue to ask questions at this forum that will assist me as a new translator.
I can not see the point in selecting those questions that are appropriate for you Walter. I have received great help from the answers I have received so far. Thanks to Dr. Lupkitaro's replies yesterday I will be able to submit my translation in time, he told me exactly what I needed in this situation.

Perhaps you have misunderstood your role Walter? Are you one of the site staff? If
... See more
I am going to continue to ask questions at this forum that will assist me as a new translator.
I can not see the point in selecting those questions that are appropriate for you Walter. I have received great help from the answers I have received so far. Thanks to Dr. Lupkitaro's replies yesterday I will be able to submit my translation in time, he told me exactly what I needed in this situation.

Perhaps you have misunderstood your role Walter? Are you one of the site staff? If not, I why don't you concentrate on your work as translator instead of making unnecessary remarks such as those to me?

Please, you do not need to give me any more pieces of advice, I work from early morning until late in the night 7 days a week to try to get my translation business go around. In addition to this, I would prefer not to have to feel guilty or to feel bad for asking "the wrong type of questions".

So, I ask you again not to reply to my forum posts if you think I ask too basic questions. Your type of advice is really the least I need, I hope you can understand that after reading this.

If you think I break the rules here, please file a complaint to the site staff instead.

Regards,

Fredrik
Collapse

Fredrik Pettersson
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Worked fine with all the others too Oct 25, 2010

No tag errors at all! So probably I should be able to Save bilingual as... and Save target as...(or Clean up in TW) without problems.

Luisa Ramos, CT
Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:19
English to Spanish
Two things Oct 26, 2010

Would you consider translating not knowing one of the languages and just with the help of a dictionary or a friend? I guess not. It is the same with CAT tools, especially with Trados, and specifically with TagEditor. There is a world to read and a universe to understand. Trados is not intuitive at all; one must read, and read again. From the basics to the complicated, almost everything is in the manuals. Almost. After reading and understanding, and trying to make sense out of everything you read... See more
Would you consider translating not knowing one of the languages and just with the help of a dictionary or a friend? I guess not. It is the same with CAT tools, especially with Trados, and specifically with TagEditor. There is a world to read and a universe to understand. Trados is not intuitive at all; one must read, and read again. From the basics to the complicated, almost everything is in the manuals. Almost. After reading and understanding, and trying to make sense out of everything you read, if you encounter a problem you will probably figure a way out of it. Think of all the time and aggravation that you will save. For those occasions when a reasonably knowledgeable person finds him or herself really stuck, and with a pressing deadline, there are the forums.

You said: "I am going to continue to ask questions at this forum..." That brings me to the second thing I wish to mention. There are many, many forums in Proz. One should post in the appropriate forums. In this case, it would have made much more sense to post in the Trados forum, for the benefit of anyone with the same problem in the future. Think of the forums as categories. If someone wants to know about marketing for translators, that is the forum to go to; if someone wants to joke around, the off-topic forum is the one; we even have that at Proz. Likewise, if someone has a problem with a CAT tool, the best information is posted and found in the corresponding forum: Across, Trados, DejaVu, etc. So, there is a lot to read at Proz too, like learning how to conduct oneself and how to navigate the site.

Walter's advice on both respects was right on target.
Collapse

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo
Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:19
Swedish to English
+ ...
Please continue / but consider the amount of people who are likely to help you Oct 26, 2010

Fredrik Pettersson wrote:

I am going to continue to ask questions at this forum that will assist me as a new translator. I can not see the point in selecting those questions that are appropriate for you Walter.

Fredrik - do you really find it so unreasonable for Walter, and other professionals, to expect you to at least do some groundwork yourself before asking other busy, but helpful, professionals to solve your problems? Such as taking some time to actually learn the professional tools you need to for your new business.

I work from early morning until late in the night 7 days a week to try to get my translation business go around.

And still you need others to supply you with the expertise you seem to find to time-consuming to acquire yourself? Maybe you need to revise your rates? SV as a target language commands pretty good rates for experienced, professional translators. On top of that, your CN > SV combination must be pretty rare. If you can provide translations to a professional standard in this language pair, you should be able to raise your rates whilst still growing a successful business.

By charging a higher rate, you might also be able to find the time to learn the tools you need to grow your business. You might also use some of this extra time to do a minimum amount of research prior to posting KudoZ questions. A few days ago you scored a full 10/10 postings on the homepage for those who view EN > SV, SV > EN, EN monolingual.

You might also want to consider offering some help to others in forums or KudoZ. This is likely to have a positive effect on the number of colleagues who want to help you out when you're stuck in the future, re. tools or terminology. If you continue to ask/request/demand without answering/giving/providing, you're unlikely to receive the professional help you appear to depend upon.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »