Thread poster: MyrdahlAcademic
MyrdahlAcademic
MyrdahlAcademic
Canada
Local time: 02:12
Norwegian to English
Oct 26, 2010

Hello
I'd appreciate any help with why an .sdlppx package does not open in an up-to-date version of Trados Studio 2009 Starter Edition.
From what I can tell from the SDL website, the Starter Edition should be able to open any packages created in other versions.
I get the following message:"Error processing command line arguments: The package or project '39145' cannot be opened because it contains a newer version of the project format (3.1.0.0)
not supported by your ver
... See more
Hello
I'd appreciate any help with why an .sdlppx package does not open in an up-to-date version of Trados Studio 2009 Starter Edition.
From what I can tell from the SDL website, the Starter Edition should be able to open any packages created in other versions.
I get the following message:"Error processing command line arguments: The package or project '39145' cannot be opened because it contains a newer version of the project format (3.1.0.0)
not supported by your version of SDL Trados Studio. Update to the latest SDL Trados Studio release to open this package or project."

This sounds like a "buy the expensive version" command.... which would obviously make the Starter Edition relatively useless?

Thank you.

Eileen
Collapse

Walter Blaser
Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 11:12
French to German
+ ...
Update to SP3 Oct 26, 2010

This error is probably due to the fact that you use SP2 and the package you received has been created with SP3. It is not due to the differences in versions, but to the incompatibility of the service pack levels of the two involved partners.

In SP3 the file formats have been changed. Compatibility downwards is assured: a SP3 client can open a package created in SP2, he will simply see a warning that the file formats are being automatically converted, but the other way round is not
... See more
This error is probably due to the fact that you use SP2 and the package you received has been created with SP3. It is not due to the differences in versions, but to the incompatibility of the service pack levels of the two involved partners.

In SP3 the file formats have been changed. Compatibility downwards is assured: a SP3 client can open a package created in SP2, he will simply see a warning that the file formats are being automatically converted, but the other way round is not possible.

You may however solve the problem easily by upgrading your Starter Edition to SP3 (which si actually what the error message suggests).

Walter

This sounds like a "buy the expensive version" command.... which would obviously make the Starter Edition relatively useless?

Just to make things clear: you do not need to buy any upgrade, you can continue to use your Starter Edition. The only thing you need to do is install the SP3 Upgrade, which you can download from your customer account. That's all.

[Bearbeitet am 2010-10-26 09:38 GMT]
Collapse

MyrdahlAcademic
MyrdahlAcademic
Canada
Local time: 02:12
Norwegian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Oct 26, 2010

This clarified things considerably & solved my problem. Thank you!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Opening sdlppx in Trados Studio Starter Edition

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »