Studio 2009/Trados - Multiterm issues/bugs
Thread poster: Tapsa

Tapsa
Local time: 16:55
English to Finnish
Oct 27, 2010

I am a heavy user of Multiterm Termbases and have built many rather large termbases during years.

There are some issues/bugs in Studio (and Trados?) environment:

1. This one is a nasty one. It started propably after SP2 (I'm not sure). (I have discussed this earlier, sorry about bringing this up again, but nothing seems to have been done to fix this problem)

I have many entries (at least thousands, maybe over ten thousand) that differ only by the case of the first letter (source), like:

In Photoshop terminology:

EN: Exclusion
FI: Poistava

In general terminology:

EN: exlusion
FI: pois sulkeminen
FI: pois jättäminen

Now, in Studio, when translating and there is the word "exclusion" in source text, the term recognition shows only the first match it finds (In above case, only the Exclusion/Poistava entry). The case of the source text does not matter, and it does not matter if the entries are in the same termbase or different termbases. If the Exlusion/Poistava entry would be in lower case, the term recognition would show all found entries

2. This one happened also in previous versions (Studio) and in Trados if I remember right. So this is not necessarily just a Studio issue.

Every time there is a major upgrade in the software, and the termbases must be upgraded during update, the termbases (at least some of them) grow enormously.

Last time (Studio SP3) my 0,5 G termbase grew to almost 3 G !!!

The only way to "restore" normal situation is to export all entries, create a new termbase, and import those entries.

3. In Finnish the words often have different meanings depending on the context.

So, when I started to build my main termbase years ago, I started to add terms basically in this way (as they appear in dictionaries):

EN: colour
FI: värittää
context: konkr
example: Colour the wall red
.
.
.
FI: värittää
context: kuv
example: She tends to colour her stories

Sometime along the way (this started before Studio, if I remember right) I was not able to add identical target terms anymore like this. I wonder, if there is a setting in Multiterm that allows this again.

Although it may not seem to make any sense to add multiple identical target terms, there is at least for me. The words may have many, many meanings in Finnish, and it is much more convenient and informative to group ("sort") those meanings by context in the entry, than to add multiple contexes under the target term.

4. This is a minor one, but still...

In Studio, when I perform a termbase search in Termbase Search tab, there is no button to start the search. I can only start it by hitting Enter, and that plays the windows alarm beep or something at first, like there was something wrong in what I did.

5. This is rather a missing feature than a bug

In Studio, it would be very handy, if you could start the termbase search/fuzzy search through right-click menu after selecting the word.


 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2009/Trados - Multiterm issues/bugs

Advanced search







Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search