Thread poster: Aurélie Charvet

Aurélie Charvet  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 14:02
English to French
+ ...
Oct 27, 2010

Hi,

I've been using Studio for a few weeks now and I like it even though I think it's often not user-friendly enough (considering the price, I'd have expected it to be perfect!)

I have a question regarding the use of termbases in the editor view. I'm often using several termbases at once, and when I add a term I would like to be able to choose which termbase I add it to, depending on the subject.

Do you know if this is possible? If not, I really think it's a flaw of the software. I consider it to be a very basic feature.

Thank you for your answers!

Direct link Reply with quote

Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
Vote for it! Oct 27, 2010

It's been proposed:

http://ideas.sdl.com/ideas/detail.asp?i=3406

Paul Filkin of SDL thinks it'sa good idea, too:

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/TW_users/message/55224

so with luck it will be implemented soon.

Giles

France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Giles Oct 27, 2010

I would have thought it was a basic function but apparently it didn't cross SDL's mind!

I've just voted for this idea, thanks for your tip!

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
No rapid way... Oct 27, 2010

Aurélie Charvet wrote:

I've been using Studio for a few weeks now and I like it even though I think it's often not user-friendly enough (considering the price, I'd have expected it to be perfect!)

Simply impossible.
The package contains Multiterm

I have a question regarding the use of termbases in the editor view. I'm often using several termbases at once, and when I add a term I would like to be able to choose which termbase I add it to, depending on the subject.

Do you know if this is possible?

In a rapid, sound way?
No.
IMO the only one working (but very slow) way is to open all the termbases you need in Multiterm and add terms in the selected termbases using its awful Interface.
In Trados, you should change the main (default) termbase which doesn't make sense, it's even slower than Multiterm Desktop.

If not, I really think it's a flaw of the software. I consider it to be a very basic feature.

Avalable from eternity in Wordfast Classic...

Cheers
GG

France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I was afraid so... Oct 27, 2010

Dziękuję Grzegorz!

It's true that Multiterm is very "user-unfriendly"!

Well, there is no real solution to this problem since I don't want to spend my time toggling between Studio and Multiterm or going through the Project settings and changing the default termbase each time I want to add a term.

I know Wordfast enables you to choose the right termbase but sometimes I don't find Wordfast very convenient to use (either Classic or Pro) and I like the way Studio displays everything you need in one window.

I'll just wait and see, and maybe I'll find out I want to go back to Wordfast!

Aurélie

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Off topic... Wordfast... Oct 27, 2010

Aurélie Charvet wrote:

It's true that Multiterm is very "user-unfriendly"!

Well, no furher comments...

I know Wordfast enables you to choose the right termbase but sometimes I don't find Wordfast very convenient to use (either Classic or Pro) and I like the way Studio displays everything you need in one window.

So Wordfast does
BTW, this feature is available only in Classic.
The terminology handling in Pro is really worse than in Classic, e.g. no terminology sharing, you can't define custom location for the termbases, the fuzzy terminology recognition is really, really basic (no stemming) and can't be used in a sound way for heavily inflected languages etc.

I'll just wait and see, and maybe I'll find out I want to go back to Wordfast!

BTW, I never used Wordfast in the real life.
I always hated to translate directly in Word in Trados like environments like Wordfast or Metatexis, even if they were superior to Trados.
For Wordfast Pro, I have sound workarounds

Cheers
GG

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Adding terms to different termbases in Studio

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search