Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:01
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Oct 28, 2010

Dear all,

I don't remember having this problem with Trados 2007, so I'm wondering what's happening:

When I do a concordance search for a sentence fragment, I am presented a lot of matches containing the individual words, but not the segment I translated and confirmed just the second before, which contains the exact wording:

I don't understand how this concordance algorithm is useful in any way? Is there some setting I should adapt?

Kind regards,
Erik

Edited to add correct image URL.

[Bearbeitet am 2010-10-28 10:02 GMT]

[Bearbeitet am 2010-10-28 10:04 GMT]

[Bearbeitet am 2010-10-28 10:05 GMT]

[Bearbeitet am 2010-10-28 10:07 GMT]

[Bearbeitet am 2010-10-28 10:08 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Adam Bojan  Identity Verified
Poland
Dutch to Polish
+ ...
The same problem/objection here Oct 28, 2010

This problem has already been mentioned in eg. http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/163876-studio_sp2:_fuzzy_matches_make_no_sense.html

I am writing this just to confirm that I experience the same problem with concordance search and fuzzy matches, not finding something I know there is, strange percentage score, the search not able to find a slightly changed word form eg. plural with -s or -en, but at the same time finding very different words as almost 100% matches. The whole issue is very annoying and often makes this functionality useless. I am seriously considering switching to another tool.
Regards,
Adam Bojan

MikeTrans
Germany
Member (2005)
Italian to German
+ ...
Set up the fuzziness of Concordance Oct 29, 2010

efreitag,

as mentionned in the other post, the concordance feature in Trados is messy.
You can however change the fuzziness of the concordance in the Options: Set it to 75-90% to avoid garbage returns. This will not eliminate cases as those shown above, but should reduce them.
SDL has to work on this issue, also on the Fuzzy Match algorithms, otherwise I will not take this CAT tool for serious any more.

Greets,
Mike

[Edited at 2010-10-29 13:06 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-10-29 13:06 GMT]

Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Fuzzyness Oct 29, 2010

Dear Mike,

Thanks for the information. I've played with the fuzzyness value, but maybe not enough... I'll investigate further.

Thanks so far!

Regards,
Erik

Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
just a workaround Oct 29, 2010

Mike,

Even if it works, this is still just a workaround, right? I think the algorithm should work in such a way that the best matches should always be presented first, no matter how the fuzzyness setting?

I can't get rid of the impression that the algorithms used in Studio are questionable. I don't remember having this kind of problem to such an extent in earlier versions of Trados.

Laurent KRAULAND  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Erik, look at this (if not already done)... Oct 30, 2010

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/183991-how_to_have_trados_concentrate_on_relevant_text_rather_than_tag_material_for_finding_matches.html

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio SP3: Concordance pretty useless

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search