https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/184039-word_2007_vista_started_crashing_when_trados_fl_2007_installed.html

Word 2007/Vista started crashing when Trados FL 2007 installed
Thread poster: mard
mard
mard
Local time: 17:39
English to Dutch
Oct 28, 2010

Word 2007 under Vista has recently started crashing on start-up when Trados FL 2007 is installed (fine without). Suspect (but not sure) that Trados8.dot is the problem. Have tried re-installing Trados from my original download, then re-downloaded from SDL site and re-installing. Nothing has worked sofar.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Walter Blaser
Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 18:39
French to German
+ ...
Replace TRADOS8.DOTM Oct 28, 2010

If you suspect that the Trados template may be the culprit, why don't you simply replace this template instead of reinstalling the entire software?

Beware: for Word 2007 and 2010 you need the template TRADOS8.DOTM and not the .DOT. Copy this file from the Trados \templates folder to your Word 'Startup' folder.

Walter

mard
mard
English to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Done that - no joy Oct 28, 2010

Was the first thing I tried, without succes. That's why I re-downloaded Trados from SDL's site, just in case the file I have is corrupt.

Do you know where I could get a 'clean' Trados8.dotm file?

Thanks

Walter Blaser
Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
The Trados templates are in the Trados program folder Oct 28, 2010

You'll find all templates in c:\Program Files\SDL International\T2007\TT\Templates\'.

Walter

mard
mard
English to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Trados8.dotm Oct 28, 2010

I do have those. Have spent the last day or so swapping them in and out to no avail. Was therefore wondering if the file I was using was already corrupted.

mtmlinguasoft
mtmlinguasoft
Local time: 12:39
English
.dotm not .dot? Dec 22, 2010

I'm trouble-shooting an install of Trados 2007 on a new machine. Can you tell me why .dotm not .dot? Also, I get a Visual Basic error whenever I try to open a TU - wrong number of arguments. The fix in SDL's KB did not work.
Help is appreciated!

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
.dotm Dec 23, 2010

MTM LinguaSoft wrote:

I'm trouble-shooting an install of Trados 2007 on a new machine. Can you tell me why .dotm not .dot? Also, I get a Visual Basic error whenever I try to open a TU - wrong number of arguments. The fix in SDL's KB did not work.
Help is appreciated!

As far as I could make it out, it is .dotm because it is a template which is "macro-enabled" for MS Word 2007 and above.

mard
mard
English to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
dotm and dot Dec 23, 2010

.dotm is indeed the macro-enabled template for Word 2007 and upwards.

For what it is worth, I never managed to solve my problems with the existing installation and ended up upgrading to Windows 7 and re-installing Trados (and everything else on my machine!)

Good luck.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word 2007/Vista started crashing when Trados FL 2007 installed

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »