https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/184130-tados_2009_update_file_with_changed_memory_entries.html

Tados 2009 Update file with changed memory entries
Thread poster: Steve Erpelding

Steve Erpelding  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 01:31
French to German
+ ...
Oct 29, 2010

Hi all,

I hope I didn't skip an already existing post.
I can't find any option in Trados Prof. 2009 SP2 for the folllowing option:
If I translate several files for the same project and always confirmed every single segment and at some point I want to change an entry in the memory and apply this change in all the previously translated files, where could I do this? I suppose it's somewehre in the batch tasks, but I can't find it.

Many thanks in advance.
... See more
Hi all,

I hope I didn't skip an already existing post.
I can't find any option in Trados Prof. 2009 SP2 for the folllowing option:
If I translate several files for the same project and always confirmed every single segment and at some point I want to change an entry in the memory and apply this change in all the previously translated files, where could I do this? I suppose it's somewehre in the batch tasks, but I can't find it.

Many thanks in advance.

kind regards,

gg
Collapse

Expialidocious  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Have you found a solution to this problem yet? Feb 7, 2011

Hi,

I have the same problem. If you found a solution back in October, could you share it?

Thanks!

Steve Erpelding  Identity Verified
Spain
French to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
no solution found yet Feb 7, 2011

either it's a topic that doesn't interest much people or it's sth that's that obvious that no one wants to answer.

My "workaround" (it's not a real one) is to enter in each file, search for the concerned segments and change it manually.

kind regards,

g

Roy OConnor (X)
German to English
Try modifying the memory Feb 7, 2011

I don't think there is a batch edit in Studio that modifies files simultaneously.
One way of doing this though would be to change the segments in the memory (search/replace target text), applying any filters you may need, and then automatically translate the files again with the modified memory.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (1970)
English
Updating the files from an updated TM Feb 8, 2011

Hi,

The way to do this in Studio, or one way anyway, is to use the Batch Task - Pre-translate. There is a setting here that allows you to have different Translation overwrite modes:

The default is to overwrite the existing translation if a better match is found, but you can force this to always overwrite. If you select this mode on your Project (to ensure i
... See more
Hi,

The way to do this in Studio, or one way anyway, is to use the Batch Task - Pre-translate. There is a setting here that allows you to have different Translation overwrite modes:

The default is to overwrite the existing translation if a better match is found, but you can force this to always overwrite. If you select this mode on your Project (to ensure it does not affect all projects going forward) then when you run the Batch Tasks - Pre-translate Files on the Project then all the files in your Project will update based on the content of the TM you are using. So if you change the segment in your TM it will be reflected across every file in the Project.

You can make this change under Tools-Options if you like, and then every Project or Document you work on will apply these rules. If you make the change under Project - Project Settings then only the active Project will be affected.

I hope this is what you were looking for?

Regards

Paul
Collapse

Neal Witkowski  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Pre-translate works, but there's a catch... May 19, 2011

Aside from the fact that "pre-translate" is misleading description for this scenario, there is one serious flaw:

1) Any comments previously existing in segments that are "updated" with the pre-translate function are deleted! I discovered this right before delivering a rather complex job. Extremely aggravating!

There really needs to be a better solution. I often encounter the situation while translating that I perform a global term change in the TM and want the change to
... See more
Aside from the fact that "pre-translate" is misleading description for this scenario, there is one serious flaw:

1) Any comments previously existing in segments that are "updated" with the pre-translate function are deleted! I discovered this right before delivering a rather complex job. Extremely aggravating!

There really needs to be a better solution. I often encounter the situation while translating that I perform a global term change in the TM and want the change to be applied to my current project. In the past, you could simply use the "Translate to Fuzzy" and or "Translate" feature in WB. As far as I can tell, Studio 2009 no longer accommodates this scenario.

[Edited at 2011-05-19 13:32 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tados 2009 Update file with changed memory entries

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

SDL Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within SDL Trados Studio

SDL Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »