How to create TM out of two files (source and clean target)??
Thread poster: Ivan Tobias

Ivan Tobias  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:58
Slovak to English
+ ...
Oct 30, 2010

Hi,

I'm currently working on a large project that came not only with the file that I'm supposed to translate but also with an example of a similar project (2 files, the source text and the translation - target).

I would like to create a TM that would be based on the previous project but I'm not really sure how to join those two files together. I would appreciate any help I can get.

Thank you.

Regards

Ivan

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 11:58
English to Czech
+ ...
WinAlign Oct 30, 2010

Hi Ivan,
the answer is WinAlign, shipped along with the SDL Trados bundle.

United Kingdom
Slovak to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
winalign Oct 30, 2010

I was considering that but I'm not sure whether it would work, since the files are in Word 2007 and include a number of different font styles, tables and graphics...
Will it work anyway?

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
No problem, WinAlign handles Word files very well Oct 30, 2010

It will work quite well especially if the documents use the same structure since WinAlign takes into consideration the Word formatting.

Walter

United Kingdom
Slovak to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
cool Oct 30, 2010

I'll give it a try and see...the file is huge...

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 16:58
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
SDL Align Oct 30, 2010

I recommend SDL Align in SDLX package for many language pairs. It is more stable and more efficient than WinAlign.

Soonthon Lupkitaro

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Look for training! Oct 31, 2010

I just wanted to add a little piece of advice: look for proper training about your tool. Trados is an industrial tool and training will be a big advantage for you in the long run and will help you answer lots of questions and avoid tons of frustration and time. Good luck!

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
How huge? Oct 31, 2010

Ivan Tobias wrote:

I'll give it a try and see...the file is huge...

If it's properly big (hundreds of pages, tens of thousands of sentences), you should definitely use an autoaligner (a program that tries to identify which sentence goes whith which). Then you can just use what the autoaligner produces or review it partially or fully to correct misalignments.
Even if you reviee it fully, you'll save a massive amount of time compared to doing it with winalign.
Here's an autoaligner I wrote:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/aligner/

[Edited at 2010-10-31 08:40 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to create TM out of two files (source and clean target)??

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search