please help - Why can't I open a PDF file using SDL Trados 2009?
Thread poster: Michelle Ningyu
Michelle Ningyu
Canada
Local time: 19:18
Member (2010)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Oct 31, 2010

This might sound like a beginner's question, but it really bothers me....

I tried to open a PDF file that has already been saved in my computer from SDL Trados 2009, however when I click "open file" all that is available for me to open are Word files? How come I cannot see my PDF file? Did I not set up something beforehand??

Help please, I've got a job due tomorrow. Thought it was easy, but looks like it's not, at least for me.....

Many thanks in advance. Any assistance or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Direct link Reply with quote

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 07:18
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
SDL Trados Studio 2009 Menu Oct 31, 2010

Open the Studio Menu > Tools > Options > File types. You might deselect many file types except Word (e.g. PDF, XML, PPT, HTML). Select PDF file type. If you cannot see PDF file type again, check C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\SDL Trados Studio (assume your Windows is installed at drive C:) and see if PDF type file name is missing or not.

Soonthon Lupkitaro

Michelle Ningyu
Canada
Member (2010)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Still cannot open it Oct 31, 2010

I did what you said :

Open the Studio Menu > Tools > Options > File types.
I saw that PDF is indeed SELECTED. but I cannot open it in SDL Trados....

any thoughts???

thanks again

Laurent KRAULAND  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 01:18
French to German
+ ...
A great option to open PDF, sure... Oct 31, 2010

but a PDF can also be a scanned image (like .JPG, .GIF, .PNG - you name it) which was wrapped in a PDF for convenience.

I assume that Studio will open PDF's created with a DTP software (InDesign and its competitors) or rather extract the text from such files just fine.

I doubt that it works like an OCR software - but am always willing to learn, so Studio users may contradict me as per this point.

Make a simple test: open your PDF with Adobe Reader and try to copy and paste its content in MS Word. If it doesn't work, you are dealing with a scanned image which was enclosed in a PDF...

(edited for typos)

[Edited at 2010-10-31 05:59 GMT]

Michelle Ningyu
Canada
Member (2010)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
PDF Adobe Reader vs scanned image Oct 31, 2010

Guess you are right.
Yes, with PDF created in Adobe Reader, I did copy and paste its content in MS word.
I am afraid that I am dealing with a scanned image, which is quite possible.

I will try later to see if I can open an real PDF file (the one with Adobe Reader)

Thanks.

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 01:18
French to German
+ ...
This is normal Oct 31, 2010

Michelle Ningyu wrote:

This might sound like a beginner's question, but it really bothers me....

I tried to open a PDF file that has already been saved in my computer from SDL Trados 2009, however when I click "open file" all that is available for me to open are Word files? How come I cannot see my PDF file? Did I not set up something beforehand??

Help please, I've got a job due tomorrow. Thought it was easy, but looks like it's not, at least for me.....

Many thanks in advance. Any assistance or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

This is absolutely normal. When you open a PDF file, it gets converted to Word as you cannot edit directly a PDF file. Studio extracts the text from your PDF document (in the same way as any other PDF conversion tool would do) and generates a Word document, which you can then translate. What you deliver is a Word document as it is technically impossible to edit a PDF document and save it again as PDF.
Try to do a preview in the Editor, it will open the file in Word.

Walter

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

please help - Why can't I open a PDF file using SDL Trados 2009?

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search