Edward Bradburn
Edward Bradburn
Germany
Local time: 13:59
German to English
+ ...
Oct 31, 2010

Hello,

I have just updated both Studio and MultiTerm to SP3.

I am not currently using TRADOS on a daily basis, although I now have a Studio project package due in a week so I would appreciate a little help on a troubling problem.

I am working through some tutorials and decided to add a Termbase to a document translation to leverage my old Excel termbases. Having added a new termbase and imported the Excel terms OK, I then added this to the document project
... See more
Hello,

I have just updated both Studio and MultiTerm to SP3.

I am not currently using TRADOS on a daily basis, although I now have a Studio project package due in a week so I would appreciate a little help on a troubling problem.

I am working through some tutorials and decided to add a Termbase to a document translation to leverage my old Excel termbases. Having added a new termbase and imported the Excel terms OK, I then added this to the document project in Studio and tested it.

Following problems occur:

- From within Studio, the termbase clearly opens (the message changes to read "No results available"), but no matches are shown.
- Adding a term via the Editor window (mark entries and "Add new term") brings up the termbase editing window (Termbase Viewer), but when I click the save icon I get the message "Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt."

Note that I *can * edit entries in the Termbase Viewer normally, by clicking the pencil icon, making changes and then clicking the save icon.

Additionally, any further attempts to add the same termbase entry result in either the message

"The selected term "XXX" already exists in the active termbase. Would you like to edit the existing term?". If I click yes, then I get the same runaround as above: the Termbase Viewer window will not let me save any edits. Where Multiterm thinks it has saved the entry I have no idea, since opening Multiterm later reveals precisely zero additions.

or

"The term is currently being edited by another user. Try again later."

Note that I have also experienced occasional full Studio crashes when adding the term. This seems to happen if I am very quick with clicking the save icon when the Termbase Viewer window loads. It may be for other reasons, however.

As before, I'm less than overwhelmed by the stability of TRADOS. I have yet to enjoy a bug-free session with either Studio or Multiterm and for this reason rely on other tools to complete my daily workload.

There is simply nothing more off-putting than software that continually crashes, throws errors or otherwise plays up when deadlines are approaching.

I therefore really hope these issues can be fixed: to my mind, stability is far more important than features, no matter how fancy.

[Edited at 2010-10-31 11:42 GMT]
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Solution is being worked on but... Oct 31, 2010

... it's worth checking a few things that have resolved this for others.

Hi Edward,

Have you looked at this KB?

http://talisma.sdl.com/article.aspx?article=3093&p=1

Users switching between Workbench and Studio can encounter this problem because the components are not reregistering correctly between the two different applications. Wh
... See more
... it's worth checking a few things that have resolved this for others.

Hi Edward,

Have you looked at this KB?

http://talisma.sdl.com/article.aspx?article=3093&p=1

Users switching between Workbench and Studio can encounter this problem because the components are not reregistering correctly between the two different applications. Whilst SP3 should have resolved this problem we have discovered the cause of why it is not for some users and will be issuing a fix for it shortly. In the meantime, running the launchstudio.bat in this KB might fix the issue for you.

Regards

Paul

[Edited at 2010-10-31 16:06 GMT]
Collapse

Edward Bradburn
Edward Bradburn
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I'll give it a whirl Oct 31, 2010

Hi Paul,

Thanks for getting onto this issue as well.

I have not used Workbench today at all, but I'll give the solution a whirl. Note that – unlike the KB article – termbase searching using the search tab is not working for me either right now.

I haven't used Multiterm before (i.e. as a component of TRADOS 2007) if that clarifies anything.

Normally, my work is concentrated in Workbench and Tag Editor, and both of these programs have been wo
... See more
Hi Paul,

Thanks for getting onto this issue as well.

I have not used Workbench today at all, but I'll give the solution a whirl. Note that – unlike the KB article – termbase searching using the search tab is not working for me either right now.

I haven't used Multiterm before (i.e. as a component of TRADOS 2007) if that clarifies anything.

Normally, my work is concentrated in Workbench and Tag Editor, and both of these programs have been working very well for a long time now (hence my annoyance with Studio, since it's unfortunately a step backwards right now).

Ed
Collapse

Roberta Beyer
Roberta Beyer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:59
Member (2011)
French to English
Same problem Apr 3, 2013

I am having the same problem for a few terms, a few years later. I have never used Workbench or any version of Studio prior to 2011. Anybody have any ideas?

[Editada em 2013-04-03 06:56 GMT]

Andrew Tucke (X)
Andrew Tucke (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:59
Spanish to English
Same problem in Studio 2011 with MultiTerm 2011 Desktop May 16, 2013

"I am having the same problem for a few terms, a few years later. I have never used Workbench or any version of Studio prior to 2011. Anybody have any ideas?"

I am having the same problem, which I have not had before with the 2011 package. Mind you, this is just after I updated Java and had to adjust some security settings to get the Termbase Viewer to work in Trados.

Pascal Zotto
Pascal Zotto  Identity Verified
Austria
Member (2009)
Dutch to Luxembourgish
+ ...
also got this problem regularly May 24, 2013

but I think I found out why it happens:

on one or two occasions I realized (at the point of entering a new term) that there was still another term being worked on (not saved). Problem is that Trados instead of prompting the user to save this open term first, simply goes on with the new term.

At some point I realized that the errors of a term not being editable (because another users is "editing" them) pops up exactly for such unsaved terms.

Ok, we could now
... See more
but I think I found out why it happens:

on one or two occasions I realized (at the point of entering a new term) that there was still another term being worked on (not saved). Problem is that Trados instead of prompting the user to save this open term first, simply goes on with the new term.

At some point I realized that the errors of a term not being editable (because another users is "editing" them) pops up exactly for such unsaved terms.

Ok, we could now try to watch somewhat better and save all terms but as all translators know, you are quite often under such a pressure to finish off jobs in time that there are still a few that slip through.

My request to Trados programmers would be that they simply add a check whether there is an open term (being edited) at the very point the user wants to add/edit another term and to prompt him to close/save/dismiss this still open term first before letting Trados go on with opening a new entry form.

Cheers, Pascal
Collapse

I agree with Pascal Oct 28, 2014

Pascal raises a good point. I often forget to save when adding a new term directly in Trados Studio.

In fact, this seems like an unnecessary step in the first place. Since I'm taking the time to highlight the source and target terms, and then to right click to "add term", then that's already 3 steps I've taken. This should be enough to confirm to Trados that yes indeed I do want to save this term.

Note to SDL - it may seem like a minor thing, but it's these small time-s
... See more
Pascal raises a good point. I often forget to save when adding a new term directly in Trados Studio.

In fact, this seems like an unnecessary step in the first place. Since I'm taking the time to highlight the source and target terms, and then to right click to "add term", then that's already 3 steps I've taken. This should be enough to confirm to Trados that yes indeed I do want to save this term.

Note to SDL - it may seem like a minor thing, but it's these small time-savers that translators with crazy tight deadlines really appreciate.

Instead, I've wasted 10 minutes Googling the error message to see what's going on (for an issue that really doesn't need to happen in the first place.

Hope you'll take this suggestion into consideration.

Thanks,
Rhonda
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
The good news is that... Oct 29, 2014

Scubabe wrote:

Note to SDL - it may seem like a minor thing, but it's these small time-savers that translators with crazy tight deadlines really appreciate.

... Studio 2014 SP2, due in a few weeks time, removes the need for Java and with this a few additional enhancements were immediately possible. One of these is a quick add term. So if you are only interested in the term and not in adding additional information to it, then you will have an additional command that immediately saves the term quickly in one go.

You could make this happen before too if you use AutoHotkey, but the interaction with Java could make this very unreliable. So some days it worked fine for me and some days it did not. If you want to try it here's the script I used:

;------------------------------------------------------------------------------
; Add term to termbase and save it.
;------------------------------------------------------------------------------
^9::
Send ^{F2}
Sleep, 2000
Send ^{F12}
Return

So I press Ctrl+9 after selecting source and target terms and they are added and saved in one go. You could change the shortcut to whatever you like, but you might have to play with the Sleep value. 2000 was fairly consistent for me, but not 100% reliable.

Studio 2014 SP2 is much better and it's pretty much instant.

Regards

Paul

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Adding term from Editor (Studio) to Multiterm does not work

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »