Thread poster: Svetlana Gladkova

Svetlana Gladkova  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 07:27
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
Nov 1, 2010

I have a problem on a new computer. It is Windows 7 Professional and has Office Starter 2010 installed which I hoped would be sufficient for me because I don't really translate in Word (mostly in TagEditor) and it has both English and Russian spell checking dictionaries that I need.

I installed Trados (both Suite 2009 and 2007 - the latter I actually use most of the time). Everything seems to work so far but one crucial aspect - I can't set spell checking up in TagEditor. WinterTree dictionary does not work for me because it does not have a Russian dictionary (and I have no idea if I could get/buy it anywhere at all). When I try to select one of the two Word spell checking plug-ins, I get the following errors:

Failed to start Microsoft Word. Check there's no ghost instance of Microsoft Word in the task manager.

I check and no, I find no ghost instances. Then when I try to apply the changes, the error is:

The Microsoft Word spelling checker plug-in was not loaded.

So I have a feeling there must be some incompatibility between Word 2010 and Trados 2007 but hope there may be some workaround to connect TagEditor to Word spell checker which I already have. Does anyone have any idea on a possible solution?

Russian Federation
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Small addition Nov 1, 2010

I have tried to install a trial version of Office 2007 after all and everything works just fine so the reason for the problem must be Office 2010. But another problem now is that I don't think it's even possible to buy Office 2007 - on Microsoft website I am redirected to buy 2010 immediately. And it does not look like an option - at least until we get some hotfix from SDL for spellchecker to work in TagEditor at least and some other problems that may exist.

Oleksandr Kolot  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 03:27
English to Russian
+ ...
Try to contact Microsoft's Russian Office Nov 1, 2010

http://www.microsoft.com/worldwide/phone/contact.aspx?country=Russia

Alexey Ivanov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Before calling Support Nov 1, 2010

try switching between the two options of the Word spell checker. Go to Menu> tools> plug-ins. There you will see 2 options:
1. Microsoft Word Spelling Checker 2.0, and
2. Word Spelling Checker

Just select the other one and make sure no word files are open.
I had the same problem with the older versions of both the TE and MS Office. Usually it helped.

Russian Federation
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Why? Nov 2, 2010

Thank you for the idea Oleksandr but in this case I have a feeling that it is SDL that should do something about incompatibility with Office 2010 instead of asking Microsoft to change their newly launched product because of compatibility issues that don't really damage a whole crowd of people.

Russian Federation
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Have tried Nov 2, 2010

Alexey Ivanov wrote:

try switching between the two options of the Word spell checker. Go to Menu> tools> plug-ins. There you will see 2 options:
1. Microsoft Word Spelling Checker 2.0, and
2. Word Spelling Checker

Just select the other one and make sure no word files are open.
I had the same problem with the older versions of both the TE and MS Office. Usually it helped.

Alexey, this was obviously the very first thing that I have tried - in fact, on my previous installation with Office 2003 this was exactly my solution and it worked just fine - but it does not work at all this time, no matter what combination of plug-ins I try to switch between.

Alexey Ivanov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Try the knowledge base Nov 2, 2010

Svetlana Gladkova wrote:
Alexey, this was obviously the very first thing that I have tried - in fact, on my previous installation with Office 2003 this was exactly my solution and it worked just fine - but it does not work at all this time, no matter what combination of plug-ins I try to switch between.

As the last thought:
1. Try repairing the installation of SDL Trados Freelance from the Control Panel> Programs> SDL Trados 2007 Freelance>Repair
2. Try searching Trados KB, maybe they have a fix for it. If not, the only solution available is applying to Trados Support

I was going to buy MS Office 2010 and you problem is of great interest to me. If it is not too much trouble, could you tell us later what was the root cause of this problem and how you fixed it.
Thank you in advance,

Alex

[Edited at 2010-11-02 10:00 GMT]

Russian Federation
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Will keep this thread updated Nov 2, 2010

Alexey, I will be sure to keep this thread updated should anything new happen in the process. Unfortunately I have searched the SDL KB carefully (this should go before posting here, after all) and there's no description for the problem, nor any solution so I am rather confident it is simply incompatibility with Office 2010 that causes the problem and it should probably be fixed by some hotfix. As for repairing my installation, I don't think I should do it now as I have the trial for Office 2007 working perfectly for now (and it will work for 2 months) and the problem should only return if I uninstall it - and that's not something I am really very much willing to do as this seems to be the only way for me to wait for some hotfix.

I will be sure to report the problem to SDL as soon as I figure out how to do that - for now it looks like the only support option in my account is searching in the knowledge base where I can see nothing. As soon as I find the place to contact them, I will do that - and hopefully that will push them to start working on a hotfix as I expect quite a number of translators will be migrating to Office 2010 and this is a serious problem.

JulietteC
Local time: 02:27
English to French
Same problem here Jan 8, 2011

Hi Svetlana,

I currently have the same kind of problem: I have a new laptop with Office starter 2010 installed. I installed SDL Trados 2007 without problem, but now, when I open and SDLx file, I have a message saying Word doesn't seem to be installed on the computer and the spellchecker has been desactivated.

Did you find a solution to your problem or did you buy Microsoft Office 2010?

Thanks a lot!

Russian Federation
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sticking to Office 2007 seems to be the only option now Jan 10, 2011

Juliette, unfortunately there seems to be no solution to this problem for now other than sticking to Office 2007 - Office 2010 seems to have a different structure (I tried both Starter and Standard versions so it's not about the version, it's about how spell checker functions in general) that is not compatible with how SDL uses Word spell checker. In fact, my experience shows that you can have both versions - 2010 and 2007 - installed on one computer and Trados will recognize the one that offers the spell checker in a correct form. But for now I have decided to stick to Office 2007 instead of migrating to 2010 and numerous other users support this option as my research shows.

JulietteC
Local time: 02:27
English to French
Thanks! Jan 10, 2011

Hi Svetlana,

thank you for your answer.

I just installed a trial version of Office 2010 family and student, and now the spellchecker seems to work, so I think the Starter version is the problem. (I read it doesn't contain macros and other things, so this might be the problem)

Russian Federation
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
This is unexpected! Jan 10, 2011

This is very interesting because only last week I used the vacation time to play with the trial of Home & Student as well and it did not work at all. I am very glad that it works for you so chances are it could work for me as well provided that I could identify some other reason for the problem - now it looks like there are some additional system issues (I am on Windows 7 32-bit) that interfere as well.

Marina Oliveira  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 01:27
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Same happening for Portuguese MS spell checker Feb 16, 2012

Svetlana Gladkova wrote:

This is very interesting because only last week I used the vacation time to play with the trial of Home & Student as well and it did not work at all. I am very glad that it works for you so chances are it could work for me as well provided that I could identify some other reason for the problem - now it looks like there are some additional system issues (I am on Windows 7 32-bit) that interfere as well.

Hi Svetlana and all,

September last I swapped from a Vista OS running Office 2003 to a Windows 7 64-bit new laptop running Office 2010 Home & Student edition and get the same error in TagEditor when loading any of the two MS spell checkers. Also searched SDL KB and the web and was having another go at finding out any solution, ending up in this thread. I am using SDL Studio 2009 with SDL Trados 2007 included.

Did you find any solution in the meantime? I can't go back to Office 2007 because my licence is only valid for the 2010 editionicon_frown.gif

In addition to the spell checker issue in TagEditor, I have also experienced incompatibility issues with individual files in Studio 2009 which does not create a target word document. I either get an error like "Studio failed to create Microsoft Word document" or Studio just crashes and creates a source document (untranslated). Did any of you experience a similar problem?

Thank you,
Marina

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MS Word SpellChecker error - plug-in not loaded in TagEditor

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search