Thread poster: Marketing-Lang.

Marketing-Lang.  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:17
English to German
+ ...
Nov 8, 2010

Dear Prozzers,
sorry if this is old hat, but I can't find anything relevant in this forum.

Studio 2009 is constantly coming up with "No match found" for segments I know have been translated. These segments contain tags. If I use the manual concordance search with F3, Studio immediately finds my 100% match.

Yes, that's *100%*.

Background: The TM was imported from Trados 2007, with the tag settings set for a hybrid scenario (mixed legacy and Studoi 2009 systems). Because of this problem, I went back to the import stage, creating a new TM and importing the old TM as text only.

The problem remains.

Any ideas?
Thanks,
-Mike-

Traduloc
Spain
English to Spanish
Searching the wrong place Nov 8, 2010

Maybe you are performing the search selecting the term on the translation window instead of the source. Then it looks into the translated TM strings.

Regards,

Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, but... Nov 9, 2010

...the problem occurs with the automatic TM search after confirming the last segment.
Could the fact that the TM has almost 100.000 TUs be a factor?
-MH-

Tapsa
Local time: 10:17
English to Finnish
Have you checked settings for search? Nov 9, 2010

I have about 200 000 entries and no problems. Have you checked settings in Project>Project settings>All language pairs>Search (and your specific language pair)? There are separate settings for search and concordance.

Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Same problem here Nov 9, 2010

Sorry, no help here. Just wanted to chime in and say you're not alone: I'm having the exact same problem. No solution yet, Trados support was trying to help, but the error doesn't seem to be reproducable. In my case, the match is usually found without problems after the second try.

Also, I'm having the same problem with the concordance feature (you said you didn't). I'm curious if others find the core of the problem...

Tapsa
Local time: 10:17
English to Finnish
Germany? Nov 9, 2010

If settings in Studio do not help, maybe the problem is in language settings (Windows). Try to change them to English in Control Panel.

In other threads it has become clear that operating system language/language settings (and Nokia softare - not the first time with Trados) interfere somehow with the software.

If I remember right, there was some issue with at least German and Finnish Windows and Trados and Nokia software before Studio (the "culture" thing). Strange that they did not remember it while developing Studio.

[Edited at 2010-11-09 12:30 GMT]

Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Interesting... Nov 9, 2010

@ Tapsa,
Thanks for the "Culture" thing. It's interesting because I do have Nokia's PC Suite on my PC. I may be located in Germany, but my Windows 7 is actually in English, as is Studio 2009.
And about the Search options you mention: I have in both case the default values of 70 and 30.
-Mike-

Nihal Sen
United States
Local time: 03:17
Member (2016)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Concordance problems Feb 16, 2011

Hi,

I am also experiencing same sort of problems with Trados 2009. I can translate with it, but the concordance feature absolutely does not work and the program itself does not automatically bring any fuzzy or exact matches. I have checked my settings several times yet, nothing changes. I wonder if there is anyone who has managed to solve these problems.

George Cook
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:17
French to English
+ ...
And here Mar 17, 2011

We are also experiencing this issue. Sometimes 100% matches do not appear in the translation results window, sometimes fuzzy matches. In all circumstances, they can be found (sometimes three or four entries) by using the concordance search. The settings are the same as we have been using for months, and nothing appears out of the ordinary.

Try as I might, I haven't been able to get to the bottom of this, and neither, it appears, has anyone else, as none of the forum entries appear to descibe a solution to this issue.

Does anyone, in fact, have a solution to this?

Nicolette Quigley
German to English
+ ...
Same problem Apr 1, 2011

Hi folks,

I am experiencing precisely the same problem here. I checked all my setting but 95% matches I know are there are not inserted automatically into the target segment.

The longer I am working with Studio the more frustrated I get. A ssoon as I think I solved one problem, the next one crops up.

It is no great help to copy the segment from the concordance search where it does appear and then paste it into the target segment.

Regards
Nicolette

XXXphxxx  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:17
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Has a solution been found to this? Sep 23, 2011

I've tweaked, search and tried my best to find out why no matches are showing. What is the point of Studio 2009 if it doesn't perform this basic function? Am I being stupid? In the meantime I continue to work with 2007... Anyone out there with any ideas please?

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Missing Matches Sep 23, 2011

Dear all,

I have read these comments several times on ProZ and on many occassions I have asked for an example I can reproduce so we can attempt to explain why you are not seeing what you expect.

Concordance and TM Lookup are different, and to date I have not received a single example from anyone that clearly shows this does not work as intended.

Please post your example here, or email me at pfilkin@sdl.com and we will be happy to review them. If it really doesn't work we have to fix it..!

Regards

Paul

SusieZ
United States
German to English
Example?? Oct 3, 2011

Paul,

I'm experiencing the same problem. Actually, it only started happening after I used the autotranslate feature. Now, none of my 100% matches that I know are there are not appearing. And, not only that, but the results shown in the target window show what was filled in using autotranslate but the top window with results shows "no matches found". Of course, I can highlight the source and pull up the translation in concordance, hightlight the results and paste, but that is oh so time consuming and unreliable, because that means I have to rely on my memory of whether or not I think I've translated something before.

What kind of example do you need in order to reproduce this? I don't understand. Is it not enough that you so many people are reporting this problem? But, I'd be happy to oblige.

We translators are under a lot of pressure to deliver on time. We really can't take the time to tweak the software. It simply has to work.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
It does have to work... Oct 3, 2011

Hi Susie,

Your issue starts to sound a little different but I'm not sure. So let me try to explain what I mean.

If people report something they have to be able to explain what is happening with an example so we can reproduce it. This gives us the opportunity to either explain what they are misunderstanding or reproduce the problem and then resolve it.

So, if you are not seeing 100% matches where you know they are there then the best example of all would be this:

1. Send us the TM you are using
2. Send us the project so we have your files for tranlsating and the settings you are using
3. A step by step example of what you did... this might just be the following
- open the document in the project
- go to segment number 234
- look at the match and note there is none
- do a concordance on the source and note a 100% is found
- open the TM and search for same phrase, note it is in the TM

So this kind of thing. If we don't have this then what are supposed to fix? The examples I have seen todate have not shown this to really be a problem that needs to be fixed by development. They have all been things that just needed explanation.

Now, this doesn't mean there isn't a problem or that we are ignoring it. It just means we need someone to show us what the problem is. If you can do this we would be only to pleased to look at it.

Regards

Paul

SusieZ
United States
German to English
Thanks... Oct 3, 2011

Paul, but unfortunately this project is simply too large and I'm bound by a non-disclosure agreement, so I can't send you all of that information.

However, I have found that the translation that is in the translation memory does populate the target field if I pre-translate the file, not in the editor directly, however. This project has over 100 files with a lot of repetitive content that at first pulled up with no problems in the editor while I was working on the separate files, but which now is not showing up where it should in the editor. I'm not aware that I made any changes at all, so I can't really give you a step-by-step description of how I got from my now point C from my original point A.

I guess I'm just too new at this and don't fully understand the software, which is why I was looking for help here.

Maybe, if I can't figure this out and I'm working on a smaller project, I can send you the files you requested.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2009: No matches found

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search