Create a TM in SDL Trados Studio 2009 from a SDLXLIFF file?
Thread poster: SandraV

SandraV  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 02:42
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Nov 11, 2010

Hi,

I am new at Trados Studio 2009. I opened a document and started to translate the resulting SDLXLIFF file, but I am not sure if this has created a TM or if I had skipped an important step in order to create the TM. If this is so, is it possible to create the TM after I have started translating the SDLXLIFF file? Should I finish the translation and then create the TM? Should I have created a TM before starting translating?
I must have a TM in order to translate other files related to this job later.
I have been watching some trutorials, but I'm afraid I don't understand. Please Help me!!

Thanks!

Direct link Reply with quote

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 09:42
French to German
+ ...
You need to assign a TM when you start translating Nov 11, 2010

It is obvious that you need to assign a TM to your translation job before you start translating otherwise all the sentences (segments) will not be written into your TM and you will also not get any matches from the TM while translating.

When you click on "Open Document" in Studio, the first thing it shows you is a window where you can select/check the language pair. On this window, you can select (by clicking on 'Add') the TM(s) you want to use.

If you have already started translating, no problem: you can still go to this window by clicking on the button "Project Settings", assigning your TM and then go back to the segments you translated and simply confirm them by hitting CTRL-ENTER.

It is quite difficult to start using a new software without adequate initial training, so I suggest that you get some additional training before you start using this comprehensive software.

Walter

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Import it is another way Nov 11, 2010

Hi Sandra,

Another way would be to create a new TM in the Translation Memories view and them import the SDLXLIFF into it. But if you haven't translated a lot then Walters suggestion might be faster.

Regards

Paul

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 14:42
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
Automatic update of TM Nov 12, 2010

Create a new TM [blank] and open it in your translated bilingual *.sdlxliff file. Your TM will be updated automatically for each "confirmed TU" if you set it in T2009 > Tools > Options/Preference menu.

Soonthon Lupkitaro

SandraV  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 02:42
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Nov 15, 2010

Thank you all for your help!

itKara
Italy
Italian to English
I also thank you for your help Jan 4, 2011

I also benefitted from the replies, and in fact Walter Blaser has helped me out with queries in the past. Thank you.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Create a TM in SDL Trados Studio 2009 from a SDLXLIFF file?

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search