Marinus Vesseur
Marinus Vesseur  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 03:54
English to Dutch
+ ...
Nov 24, 2010

Dear colleagues

A client of mine is sending me a DVD with InDesign files, version CS4. The files are stored as INDD and INX files, the latter being a format that SDL Studio supposedly can work with. The only thing I worry about (well, not the only one) is that the main file is enormous, more than 4 GB. Is it wise to try and open this thing with SDL Studio?

Or, I can download InDesign for free and use it for 30 days, which would be sufficient. I could, of course, work st
... See more
Dear colleagues

A client of mine is sending me a DVD with InDesign files, version CS4. The files are stored as INDD and INX files, the latter being a format that SDL Studio supposedly can work with. The only thing I worry about (well, not the only one) is that the main file is enormous, more than 4 GB. Is it wise to try and open this thing with SDL Studio?

Or, I can download InDesign for free and use it for 30 days, which would be sufficient. I could, of course, work straight in InDesign, but there are many repetitions, so a CAT tool would be great.

Then there is the option of using Trados 2007. Apparently one can extract the text from the file and work in
TagEditor, which would be fine.

Any suggestion on the best way to proceed?

Much appreciated

- Rien

[Edited at 2010-11-24 18:18 GMT]
Collapse

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 17:54
English to Thai
+ ...
INX file Nov 25, 2010

InDesign INX file is smaller but T2009 preview need InDesign program to install to you PC. I am not sure T2007 can handle the CS4 version or not, but T2009 does. INX file is text file with tags but without graphics.

Soonthon Lupkitaro

Marinus Vesseur
Canada
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Working with InDesign files Nov 25, 2010

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.) wrote:
.. INX file is text file with tags but without graphics.

Soonthon Lupkitaro

thanks again, but I read something else on the Adobe website:

"Exporting an InDesign CS2 document as INX data and then importing the INX data into the
same version of InDesign CS2 exactly recreates the original document."

Apparently the INX file is in fact an XML file with ALL the data, which would mean it would be about the same size as the original INDD file. I would love to be able to create a smaller file without the graphics to work with, but this doesn't seem to be the way to do it.

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 12:54
English to Czech
+ ...
Ask the client Nov 25, 2010

Hello Marinus,
can you perhaps ask the client to do the INDD > INX exports for you? It is a normal workflow I use with large international clients and everything is working fine. Of course, this means the client has to have InDesign.

Or you can download the 30-days trial (as you mentioned above) and do the exports/imports yourself.

As regards your concerns about the file size:
1. Start with the 4 GB file: then open it in Studio and have Google translate
... See more
Hello Marinus,
can you perhaps ask the client to do the INDD > INX exports for you? It is a normal workflow I use with large international clients and everything is working fine. Of course, this means the client has to have InDesign.

Or you can download the 30-days trial (as you mentioned above) and do the exports/imports yourself.

As regards your concerns about the file size:
1. Start with the 4 GB file: then open it in Studio and have Google translate about a third of it.
2. Export this "translation" back into INX
3. Open this INX to re-create the original INDD.
If there is a problem, this will help you identify it at the beginning, not at the end after you've finished the entire project.
Collapse

Marinus Vesseur
Canada
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Testing the workflow first Nov 25, 2010

Excellent tip - trying to convert the file back partly translated as a test, I mean.

The client is sending me the files in both formats, INDD and INX and I've told them about possible formatting issues which will give them some extra DTP work. They know, so I think I'm good.

I'm also asking because I need two translators, one for Dutch, one for English, to help with this job. I would like to make it as simple as possible for them, preferably as a ready-made ttx file. I'
... See more
Excellent tip - trying to convert the file back partly translated as a test, I mean.

The client is sending me the files in both formats, INDD and INX and I've told them about possible formatting issues which will give them some extra DTP work. They know, so I think I'm good.

I'm also asking because I need two translators, one for Dutch, one for English, to help with this job. I would like to make it as simple as possible for them, preferably as a ready-made ttx file. I'm still studying the issue.

Thanks!
Collapse

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Forget about TTX Nov 25, 2010

Hello Marinus,
If I may suggest, forget about TTX. TagEditor filters are far less reliable than those in Studio and especially with large files you might easily find yourself in a situation where you cannot produce the target INX.

Francoise Perigaut
Francoise Perigaut
Germany
German to French
+ ...
My experience Nov 26, 2010

I'm a complete beginner to InDesign myself, so I can't help at all for technical matters, but I confirm you should test the workflow very carefully with your client before taking on the job.

I bought InDesign CS4 some time ago for a direct client which sends to me InDesign files with very few text, only for packagings, flyers, etc.
I had checked the workflow in Studio, it looked extremely easy. Importing, translating and exporting the INX file worked like a charm! I was a tad
... See more
I'm a complete beginner to InDesign myself, so I can't help at all for technical matters, but I confirm you should test the workflow very carefully with your client before taking on the job.

I bought InDesign CS4 some time ago for a direct client which sends to me InDesign files with very few text, only for packagings, flyers, etc.
I had checked the workflow in Studio, it looked extremely easy. Importing, translating and exporting the INX file worked like a charm! I was a tad irritated there was more text in Studio to translate than I could see in the pdf file, but it all was so easy that I thought I would still be much faster even translating this additional text.

But although I had really checked everything ten times, the target file looked fairly different from the original file and in fact, it was not acceptable for my client, way too much DTP work for them to do on it.

I for now work on those files in InDesign directly. It is OK in my case since the files are so short and the length of the translation is essential, which I can see better when I work directly in InDesign. But it would be totally impossible to do for longer texts, InDesign is clearly not made for word processing. I see you mention it as an option too ("I could, of course, work straight in InDesign") - forget about it since your project seems to be huge, you have to be sure to find another workflow that is 100% reliable.

Maybe the files of my client are particularly tricky, but don't only test if you can import and export the file, you need to also send the test file to your client and have it checked very carefully to be sure it will be OK for him.

[Edited at 2010-11-26 10:32 GMT]
Collapse

Walter Blaser
Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
With Studio 2009 and ID CS4 use IDML Nov 28, 2010

Hi Marinus

If you already use Studio 2009 and your client uses the CS4 version of InDesign, I suggest you talk with your client and ask him to export his ID document to IDML instead of INX.

The IDML format introduced by Adobe starting with the CS4 version (the current one is CS5) is a XML-based format, which is much cleaner (much less tags than INX) and easier to handle than the INX format and is supported by Studio.
Studio will also handle the INX format, but as
... See more
Hi Marinus

If you already use Studio 2009 and your client uses the CS4 version of InDesign, I suggest you talk with your client and ask him to export his ID document to IDML instead of INX.

The IDML format introduced by Adobe starting with the CS4 version (the current one is CS5) is a XML-based format, which is much cleaner (much less tags than INX) and easier to handle than the INX format and is supported by Studio.
Studio will also handle the INX format, but as I said, preference should be given to IDML whenever this is possible.

Walter
Collapse

Jonathan Hopkins
Jonathan Hopkins  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Where do I find the idml file type? Mar 9, 2011

This may be just a trivial question to most. But I expected to see the Indesign file type idml in the file types options. But it's not there. I thought this file type was introduced in SP2. I have SP3.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Walter Blaser
Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Your list of filetypes is ideed incomplete .. Mar 9, 2011

.. as there should be an additional line labelled 'Adobe InDesign CS4-CS5 IDML'. It looks as if something went wrong when you upgraded to SP3.
I suggest that you copy the contents of the folder 'c:\Program Files\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\Studio1\File Types" to the folder with the same name in your user profile (c:\Users\\Documents\SDL Trados Studio\File Types) and then restart Studio. Before you do this, check that this folder contains a file named '\Idml.sdlfiletype'.
Alternatively, you
... See more
.. as there should be an additional line labelled 'Adobe InDesign CS4-CS5 IDML'. It looks as if something went wrong when you upgraded to SP3.
I suggest that you copy the contents of the folder 'c:\Program Files\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\Studio1\File Types" to the folder with the same name in your user profile (c:\Users\\Documents\SDL Trados Studio\File Types) and then restart Studio. Before you do this, check that this folder contains a file named '\Idml.sdlfiletype'.
Alternatively, you could also copy only this file over or even add it from the Options - File Types dialogue of Studio.

Walter
Collapse

Jonathan Hopkins
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Seems to be more than one problem with this installation Mar 9, 2011

Thanks for your prompt replay Walter. I tried your suggestion, and yes, the idml file type is indeed in the program files, but by copying and pasting, nothing has happened.

Unrelated to that, I've been trying to create a new xml file type and I only get this error.

I think I may just try to reinstall or repair the installation.

Jonathan Hopkins
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Re-installation didn't help :-( Mar 10, 2011

I tried repairing the installation over the Windows 7 control panel, but that was unsuccessful. The only other thing I can think of is uninstalling the software completely and re-installing. Though, I'm not sure how that will affect the licensing. I have the Plus version, so I can use the same licence on two different machines (currently installed on my old dekstop, which I haven't used in nearly a year, and my new machine, on which I'm having this problem). Will I have to "return" the licence? ... See more
I tried repairing the installation over the Windows 7 control panel, but that was unsuccessful. The only other thing I can think of is uninstalling the software completely and re-installing. Though, I'm not sure how that will affect the licensing. I have the Plus version, so I can use the same licence on two different machines (currently installed on my old dekstop, which I haven't used in nearly a year, and my new machine, on which I'm having this problem). Will I have to "return" the licence? Or does that not apply to the plus version? Looking in the licence manager, the option of returning the licence is greyed out.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Many thanks in advance.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation project with InDesign CS4 files

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »