https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/18634-how_to_translate_a_chm_file_with_trados_60.html

How to translate a .chm file with Trados 6.0
Thread poster: Ruben Berrozpe (X)
Ruben Berrozpe (X)
Ruben Berrozpe (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
Feb 21, 2004

Hello all,

I have been browsing around (really not much) looking for instructions on using Trados with this kind of help file, but then I thought that maybe someone could easily enlighten me by directing me to the place where this is extensively dealt with.
As far as I know, some kind of plug-in is needed, since the "basic package" does not support dealing directly with .chm files.

Thanks very much in advance.

Rubén

PS: Any idea w
... See more
Hello all,

I have been browsing around (really not much) looking for instructions on using Trados with this kind of help file, but then I thought that maybe someone could easily enlighten me by directing me to the place where this is extensively dealt with.
As far as I know, some kind of plug-in is needed, since the "basic package" does not support dealing directly with .chm files.

Thanks very much in advance.

Rubén

PS: Any idea whether Trados 6.5 can deal "natively" with this sort of file?
Collapse

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 09:27
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
You need the source files Feb 22, 2004

CHM is a compiled HTML Help file. You should translate the HTML source files and then compile the help again.

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Confirmed by Trados Support Feb 23, 2004

Hi,
Hynek's analysis is confirmed by Trados Support:

.chm files are indeed compiled HTML help files. As far as I know, there's a tool from Microsoft called HTML Help Workshop that allows you to decompile the .chm file into HTML files which you can then translate using the standard HTML DTD settings file html4.ini. I'm sure there are also other tools that can do this.

HTH, Ralf

Ruben Berrozpe (X)
Ruben Berrozpe (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Hynek and Ralf Feb 23, 2004

I actually found an alternative and quite inexpensive tool for this: Pocket CHM from FlySkySoft (www.fs3000.com); I think the full license is around €25 so it might be a good idea to have a look at it when facing a translation of compiled help files (just FWIW).

Changing topic: Did anyone see this topic appearing on the home page? I have already filed a support request because I couldn't see it - and
... See more
I actually found an alternative and quite inexpensive tool for this: Pocket CHM from FlySkySoft (www.fs3000.com); I think the full license is around €25 so it might be a good idea to have a look at it when facing a translation of compiled help files (just FWIW).

Changing topic: Did anyone see this topic appearing on the home page? I have already filed a support request because I couldn't see it - and considering the number of views, I would dare say others couldn't either.

Thank you again
Rb
Collapse

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
HTML Help Workshop Feb 23, 2004

Ruben,

You can download the HTML Help Workshop from:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/htmlhelp/html/hwMicrosoftHTMLHelpDownloads.asp

It's free. But maybe Pocket CHM is better; I don't know, I have always translated only the source files and I never had to d
... See more
Ruben,

You can download the HTML Help Workshop from:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/htmlhelp/html/hwMicrosoftHTMLHelpDownloads.asp

It's free. But maybe Pocket CHM is better; I don't know, I have always translated only the source files and I never had to decompile CHM.

As for the forum thread, you are right, it's not visible on the home page. I came here through the Recent Forum Posts page.
Collapse

buuuuu
buuuuu
German to zzz Other zzz
How to recompile a decompiled and translated chm-file??? Nov 21, 2005

Hi there,

how can I recompile a decompiled and translated chm-file???

I see in the HTML Help workshop, that I can decompile an chm, but afterwards I do not see the possibility to recompile, as the programme asks for an project file that I do not have!?

If I create a project file, I do not know how to include the files and the structure of the chm I want to translate!

Can anybody help... PLEEEEASE...
See more
Hi there,

how can I recompile a decompiled and translated chm-file???

I see in the HTML Help workshop, that I can decompile an chm, but afterwards I do not see the possibility to recompile, as the programme asks for an project file that I do not have!?

If I create a project file, I do not know how to include the files and the structure of the chm I want to translate!

Can anybody help... PLEEEEASE
Collapse

Aleksandr Okunev (X)
Aleksandr Okunev (X)
Local time: 10:27
English to Russian
You need to know the "main" file Nov 21, 2005

buuuuu wrote: how can I recompile a decompiled and translated chm-file???

You should not alter folder structure of the help and you should point the compiler to the "home" file or 'title page' of the help system, from where it will follow the links and assemble everything into one CHM file.

HTH
Alex

Aleksandr Okunev (X)
Aleksandr Okunev (X)
Local time: 10:27
English to Russian
The tool I use Nov 21, 2005

The tool I have been using for years is
HTM2CHM converter.
The link to a limited English version is here:
http://www.softodrom.ru/win/scr/get.php?id=2811
Russian version is absolutely free, you can see its page here:<
... See more
The tool I have been using for years is
HTM2CHM converter.
The link to a limited English version is here:
http://www.softodrom.ru/win/scr/get.php?id=2811
Russian version is absolutely free, you can see its page here:
http://www.softodrom.ru/win/ap/p2811.shtml

Stay well
Alex
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to translate a .chm file with Trados 6.0

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »