Thread poster: Ahmed Maher
Ahmed Maher
Ahmed Maher  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:20
English to Arabic
+ ...
Nov 30, 2010

Hi,

I want to align two columns of source and target with winalign and to have the exoported segments from Winalign identical to the rows of the columns.
Some of the rows in the columns has two or 3 separated sentence, and I want to know how to make Winalign align the rows in the table regardless of its sentences.

Thanks,

Luisa Ramos, CT
Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:20
English to Spanish
Disconnect, merge, and connect Nov 30, 2010

WinAlign segment alignment generally works on a 1:1 basis; however, if I understood you well, what you wish to align is not 1:1, but rather 1:N, meaning that you wish to align "segment X" on the left to "segment Y + segment Z + segment W" on the right. In order to do that you have to disconnect all segments, merge the three segments "Y Z W", and connect the resulting segment XYW to segment X on the left.

Walter Blaser
Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
WinAlign will align on row basis if you use Excel Nov 30, 2010

You did not specify what document format you use: Word or Excel? If you use two Excel documents, WinAlign will align on rows, meaning that it will not matter how much text is in a row.

If your document is in Word, you'll have to adjust the 'Structure Recognition' settings in the Project Settings to base the alignment on the tabular structure.

You may have to experiment a bit to find out the best setting so that you can minimize the amount of manual reconnections.
... See more
You did not specify what document format you use: Word or Excel? If you use two Excel documents, WinAlign will align on rows, meaning that it will not matter how much text is in a row.

If your document is in Word, you'll have to adjust the 'Structure Recognition' settings in the Project Settings to base the alignment on the tabular structure.

You may have to experiment a bit to find out the best setting so that you can minimize the amount of manual reconnections.

Walter
Collapse

Luisa Ramos, CT
Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:20
English to Spanish
I missed that Dec 1, 2010

I missed that you were referring to text that is already in columns; in my mind, I pictured the columns of the WinAlign screen. Follow Walter's advice.

Ahmed Maher
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a lot Dec 1, 2010

Many thanks for you Luisa and Walter.

I use Word for alignment, but I have just tried Excel but the same problem persist. Also, in Winalign settings there is structure recognition that consist of Lever 1, Lever2,....., now I am not sure what exactly shall I choose to achieve this goal.

Thanks,

Walter Blaser
Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Works fine here with slight adjustments Dec 4, 2010

Ahmed

I just ran the following test:

a) Created a Word document with a one-column table in which some rows contain only one sentence and some other two or more sentences.
b) Created a copy of the document with the translation and changed the content of the rows, so that the rows containing more than one sentence are not the same ones.
c) Aligned these two documents with the default settings.

The result was that WinAlign aligned properly the rows
... See more
Ahmed

I just ran the following test:

a) Created a Word document with a one-column table in which some rows contain only one sentence and some other two or more sentences.
b) Created a copy of the document with the translation and changed the content of the rows, so that the rows containing more than one sentence are not the same ones.
c) Aligned these two documents with the default settings.

The result was that WinAlign aligned properly the rows of the tables regardless of whether they contain one or two sentences. However, the last row with three sentences was split into two segments.

So, I removed the 'Full stop' segmentation rule for the source, realigned and got this result:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5645253/column_001.jpg

If I understood well your first post, this is exactly what you wanted.

You can adjust the segmentation rules under 'Project Settings - General - Source Segmentation. Simply delete the 'Full stop' rule.

Walter

[Bearbeitet am 2010-12-04 13:34 GMT]
Collapse

Ahmed Maher
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That is exactly what I mean Dec 4, 2010

Many thanks for your time Walter.

That is exactly what I mean, and I have just removed Full stop from Source Segmentation and Target Segmentation and it works fine now. The result is perfect and I am deeply grateful.

Many thanks Walter,

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Winalign Settings

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »