https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/186652-trados_2009_studio_adding_new_translation_to_tm.html

Trados 2009 Studio - Adding new translation to TM
Thread poster: Alf Ivar Tronsmo
Alf Ivar Tronsmo
Alf Ivar Tronsmo
Norway
Local time: 15:21
English to Norwegian
Dec 1, 2010

Hi all

I have been searching the forums for information about this, but haven't found anything. I would appeciate your help.

After translating a lot of projects within the same field I started wondering why I got so little help from the TM for that cathegory. (I reuse TMs from project to project. Got one for IT, one for electronics and so on)

I started reading about TMs in 2009 and this is what I assume:
When entering a new translation, I press ctrl+e
... See more
Hi all

I have been searching the forums for information about this, but haven't found anything. I would appeciate your help.

After translating a lot of projects within the same field I started wondering why I got so little help from the TM for that cathegory. (I reuse TMs from project to project. Got one for IT, one for electronics and so on)

I started reading about TMs in 2009 and this is what I assume:
When entering a new translation, I press ctrl+enter to confirm the translation. This gives an icon next to the translation, showing a pencil and a check mark. So far so good.

But, I guess this don't mean that the translation is saved to the TM? To do this I have to right click on the segment, and choose Change segment status > Translation Approved.

Am I correct? And if so, is there any short key to do the same thing?

Thank you for any help.
Collapse

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 20:21
English to Thai
+ ...
Yes Dec 1, 2010

>But, I guess this don't mean that the translation is saved to the TM? To do this I have to right click on the segment, and choose Change segment status > Translation Approved.
TM is updated through this step.

Soonthon Lupkitaro

Alf Ivar Tronsmo
Alf Ivar Tronsmo
Norway
English to Norwegian
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Dec 1, 2010

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.) wrote:

TM is updated through this step.

Soonthon Lupkitaro

Great. Thank you. Do you know any keyboard short cuts for this process?

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL
Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:21
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Not only when you use "translation approved" Dec 1, 2010

As one can see in help to Studio 2009:

By default, a new translation is automatically added to the translation memory when you confirm the translation or approve the translation. By default, this updates the project translation memory, however if no project translation is available, the main translation memory is updated. You can change which translation memory is updated

So Alf if you keep using Ctr + Enter and still don't see the old entries in the TM, the fi
... See more
As one can see in help to Studio 2009:

By default, a new translation is automatically added to the translation memory when you confirm the translation or approve the translation. By default, this updates the project translation memory, however if no project translation is available, the main translation memory is updated. You can change which translation memory is updated

So Alf if you keep using Ctr + Enter and still don't see the old entries in the TM, the first 2 ideas which come to my mind are:
- maybe you update project TM instead of your main TM or
- maybe in the project settings you do not check the box in column: "update".

Best Regards
Stanislaw
Collapse

Alf Ivar Tronsmo
Alf Ivar Tronsmo
Norway
English to Norwegian
TOPIC STARTER
Oh Dec 1, 2010

Stanislaw Czech wrote:

So Alf if you keep using Ctr + Enter and still don't see the old entries in the TM, the first 2 ideas which come to my mind are:
- maybe you update project TM instead of your main TM or
- maybe in the project settings you do not check the box in column: "update".

Best Regards
Stanislaw

There was the whole issue. There was a translation memory in the list that I don't recall creating that was automatically checked for "update". When I changed into my wanted TM, everything looks more promising.

Thank you

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL
Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:21
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Actually there is something useful you could do Dec 3, 2010

Use this TM "you did not create" - export it to tmx format (right click on it in the view Translation Memories) and than import that tmx file (again right click on the TM you want to import to and choose import) and you'll recover a lot of your previous work

Best Regards
Stanislaw

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 2009 Studio - Adding new translation to TM

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »