Studio: Getting a tab delimited file from SDLXliff file?
Thread poster: MikeTrans
MikeTrans
Germany
Local time: 12:47
Member (2005)
Italian to German
+ ...
Dec 2, 2010

Hi,

As soon as I have created a project and have opened the file to be translated in the Editor, and before splitting any segment, I want to move all segments into MS-Word in a table containing

Segment number / source / target

The reason is:
If this transfer is somehow possible, I can then use the MS-Word window to use Dragon Naturally Speaking for voice-over translations where the segments don't contain too much acronyms or easy phrases.
I have then made a script with AutoHotKey to re-insert the translation easily into Studio again.
I have tryed to select all the source text and copy/paste to MS-Word, created a table, the same with the target text. But somehow this won't work as the segment sequence will not be kept.

So, my question is:
How can the project's SDLXliff file be converted in a CSV/TSV or tab-delimited text by keeping exactly the segment sequence of the project?

Thanks for your help!

Greets,
Mike

Direct link Reply with quote

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 17:47
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
Table format of SDLXLIFF Dec 2, 2010

I suggest a simple way: copy and paste all source columns into Word table or Excel column. Copy and paste again into target column (since it is before translation of each segment). By saving as tab delimited text file or CVS file, you get 2-column CVS/txt file. Add the section No. column in the front as required. Another conversion utility can do this quicker, may be?

Soonthon Lupkitaro

Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
tmx Dec 2, 2010

I suppose it will be easier via tmx - see

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/186466-studio_2009:_export_source_target_of_tms_to_excel_or_other_readable_format.html#1634309

Antonin

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
You could always take the easy route... Dec 2, 2010

... and use either the Bilingual Preview Generator or the new SDLXLIFF Converter (hopefully available from later this week) on the OpenExchange Website.

Both of these tools give you the ability to convert an SDLXLIFF to;

• MS Word (segment number, source, target)
  • MS Excel (segment number, source, target)
  • xml (render however you like with a stylesheet)

The difference between the two tools is that with the new SDLXLIFF Converter you can make changes to the MS Word document and then import them back into the SDLXLIFF. This allows you to use Word spelling, grammer and other review tools for example and we also support word commenting between Studio and Word.

If you would like to try this early drop me an mail and I'll make a copy available for you (pfilkin@sdl.com).

Regards

Paul

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Dragon Dec 2, 2010

MikeTrans wrote:

I can then use the MS-Word window to use Dragon Naturally Speaking for voice-over translations

While Paul clearly has the best solution for you with the SDLXLIFF Converter, I was actually wondering why you want to use Dragon in Word.

I have Dragon 10 and in fact I only used it for a few weeks because it makes silly mistakes that I find hard to pick up and is a nightmare with proper names from the source language.

However, my Dragon works in Studio. Doesn't yours?

Jonathan Hopkins  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Can I try? Dec 2, 2010

SDL Support wrote:

If you would like to try this early drop me an mail and I'll make a copy available for you (pfilkin@sdl.com).

Regards

Paul

Hi Paul,

I'd like to try it out I've already downloaded the Bilingual preview generator and tried it out. One "problem" that I had with it, is that you have to have Office 2007 or 2010 installed on your computer for it to work. I have Office 2003, which apparently isn't supported for this .exe application. I circumvented the problem by downloading the 2010 trial version, but I've since deinstalled that because it created conflicting problems with the 2003 installation. Would be nice if the bilingual preview generator would support Office 2003. I think 2003 is still the most widely used version.

Will the converter similarly require an installation of Office 2007 or later?

Thanks!

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Any Office flavour Dec 2, 2010

Jonathan Hopkins wrote:
I'd like to try it out I've already downloaded the Bilingual preview generator and tried it out. One "problem" that I had with it, is that you have to have Office 2007 or 2010 installed on your computer for it to work. I have Office 2003, which apparently isn't supported for this .exe application. I circumvented the problem by downloading the 2010 trial version, but I've since deinstalled that because it created conflicting problems with the 2003 installation. Would be nice if the bilingual preview generator would support Office 2003. I think 2003 is still the most widely used version.

Will the converter similarly require an installation of Office 2007 or later?

Thanks!

Hi Jonathan,

I'll email you the details.

On your question over Office. The new version is Office independant. We did have a few issues like this that were quite tricky to resolve between 2003, 2007 and 2010, so the developer now uses Microsoft OpenXML SDK 2.0 which means you can use the tool irrespective of your version of Microsoft Office.

Regards

Paul

István Hirsch  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
Try this: Copying the segmented source text from Studio into Word, keeping the segments Dec 2, 2010

Most formatting will be lost.

Open the file in Studio, Editor View.
Copy all source to target (Alt + Shift + Ins).
Select all the text on the target pane.
In the Quickinsert toolbar, click on « ».
Press Ctrl+H, check „Use” checkbox, select „Regular expressions” then „Find what: *^«*, Replace with: *#* (if it is not in the original text)(* is not part of the expressions).

Copy and paste the target side into Word, where press Ctrl+H, check the „Wildcard” checkbox, Find *[«»^13]* and Replace with nothing, then uncheck "Wildcard", Find *#* and Replace with *^p*.

Check that the number of the lines in Word is equal to the number of the segments in Studio.

This procedure has been checked with short, simple texts from Word - working with ’real’ files will probably bring up further problems to be solved.

[Módosítva: 2010-12-02 16:57 GMT]

Jonathan Hopkins  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
My experience with the SDLXLIFF Converter Dec 3, 2010

First of all, special thanks to Paul for making this tool available to me before its release.

My initial overall impression of the tool is great! This is a great way to collaborate with proofreaders and fellow translators. The proofreader can make comments and edit the text in Word or Excel (or XML), and the translator can import these changes directly into Studio, avoiding any copy & paste jobs that would otherwise be required by the translator to update his TM.

So far everything works just as it should without any surprises. I exported an SDLXLIFF to DOCX, made comments and revisions using Word’s track changes function; deleted all segments that were left untouched (this leaves the status of all unchanged segments as they were upon export from Studio); re-imported the DOCX and got the helpful error message that I had forgotten to turn off the track changes function before importing; I subsequently accepted all changes and turned off track changes and re-imported again with the setting that all imported segments have the status of draft (a useful function to be able to see right away which segments were altered—you can also choose any other status upon import to suit your needs).

I’ll be testing the tool some more as I have time and will report back if I can discover any useful criticism. So far I have nothing but positive remarks to report.

MikeTrans
Germany
Member (2005)
Italian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Separate Word window; why Dragon with Word Dec 3, 2010

Dear colleagues,

thank you all very much for your indepth explanations and tips.
It's very good news to hear about a SDLXLIFF converter: not only because it's the perfect solution for my specific purpose explained here, but it's also surely a great tool for the reviewing process.

Emma,
currently, I'm trying out Dragon Naturally Speaking v.11 Premium. After reading the "What's new" section of the help file, it seems that it has huge improvements over the 10 version when it comes to manipulate parts of text, also with lots of simplified voice commands added.
Unfortunately, Dragon is essentially a MS-Word macro so it will only work 100% in a Word-like environement. Although words are recognized by Dragon in the Studio interface and dictating is therefore possible, I have the following limitations and glitches with my version of Dragon when using it in Studio:

- The segment will always start in lowercase when dictating
(must say 'capitalized' every time)
- Text manipulation via voice is not possible (e.g. selecting words and formating etc.)
- Dictating expressions that are in the Termbase will move the cursor in the TB window

The workaround for this last problem is maybe to detach the window (?)
To have ALL commands of Dragon at your disposal, you need a Notepad or, better, a MS-Word window. You don't have to insert your translation back to Studio every time, but only once when you're finished using Dragon.

Note: Dragon uses HUGE system ressources!
Ideal would be 4 GB RAM and of course a fast processor. On my older system with 2 GB RAM, the menu windows of Studio (and also in other tools) will delay considerably before showing up, a sleepy experience...

As I have now just bought a new 24" LCD monitor, I find enough room for a separate WORD window on the right (for dictating), also detaching the Termbase recognition / search windows. Studio looks really nice when you have enough room!

Greets,
Mike

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio: Getting a tab delimited file from SDLXliff file?

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search