Previous translations not appearing in memory
Thread poster: Kathleen Misson

Kathleen Misson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 23:55
Member (2009)
Spanish to English
Dec 2, 2010

I have a rather large memory now in trados suite but I have noticed that certain terms I have translated in the past do not appear in the memory. For one particular project there are a lot of repetitions but these do not appear in the memory. Has anyone come across this before or know how to resolve it?
Many thanks,
Kathleen.

Direct link Reply with quote

Spain
Member (2009)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
resolved: I hope! Dec 2, 2010

Under tools, options, language pairs, batch processing, translation memory updates there is a box 'always add new translation to the translation memory'. This was not ticked. (How or why I do not know!!!!).

Hopefully this will resolve the problem.

[Edited at 2010-12-02 17:40 GMT]

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 05:55
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
Many posts Dec 2, 2010

This issue is posted many time in this forum (even in one week). Trados may want a way to prevent this to happen to new Trados users in the future CAT version.

Soonthon Lupkitaro

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Do you use a project TM? Dec 3, 2010

Kathleen

The option you mentioned is not ticked by default as there is no need for this in normal scenarios.
I suggest that you check how your TM is updated. Do you use a Project TM? If yes, you need to finalize your project in order to transfer all the new confirmed segments from your project TM to the main TM (or use the command 'Batch tasks - Update Main Translation Memories'). If you don't use a project TM, make sure that the segments have all been confirmed as by default only confirmed segments are written to the TM in above mentioned task.

Walter

Spain
Member (2009)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
thanks for your help Dec 6, 2010

I have one TM that I have named GENERAL.sdltm and I just assumed that everything automatically goes into it when I confirm a segment. I normally create a project for each job, so is there some other project memory sdltm file that I don't know about that would contain the project memories? Would I now have to open each project I have completed in the last year to use the batch task to update the main translation memory? many thans for your help it is very much appreciated. Kathleen.

Signe Golly  Identity Verified
Denmark
Danish to English
+ ...
Need to update main TM to continue using with files - nothing seems to work Jan 24, 2011

I've been reading various threads on here to try to figure out how to update the main TM so that the segments and files that I have translated will be "remembered" when I go on to the next file. I can't seem to get anything to work!
I received a TM from my client and it has been very helpful. I need to update it as I go along 1) because there are repetitions from one file to the next and I don't want to do the work twice or search manually for the previous translation to ensure consistency 2) because the client asked for the updated TM to be returned along with the completed translations.
I have tried project>batch tasks>update main translation memories. It takes me through the steps and looks like it's doing it (TM file says it was updated this am) but then when I go back to the file I'm currently working on, I can tell that something went wrong because I know for a fact that I translated the exact segment that I am currently looking at in another file yesterday, yet the TM is not finding the match.
I've tried updating from individual files before finalizing and as a step in the finalization. The file that I finalized is now locked and I can't try to update from there anymore. I've also tried selecting multiple files in Projects View (as instructed in the Trados help manual) but when I do so, all of the Batch Task options are locked.
I did tell my client that this is my first time working with a TM so if all else fails, I can try to ask him for advice. However, I don't know how Trados savvy he is, so I'm hoping that someone on here might be able to come up with a solution

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Previous translations not appearing in memory

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search