Trados Work Bench 7.0 compatibility
Thread poster: quenimo09

quenimo09  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:20
Member (2011)
English to French
+ ...
Dec 3, 2010

Hi: I have Trados Studio 2009 Starter Edition.

A new client needs me to use workbench 7.0. Can anyone tell on which version of Trados can I find that or where to obtain the version of Trados Work Bench 7.0.

If any version of Trados currently available on their website will work, and I perform a translation with it, will the users of Trados Workbench 7.0 be able to view and use it ?

Thank you

Direct link Reply with quote

Marinus Vesseur  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 01:20
English to Dutch
+ ...
What are the original file types Dec 4, 2010

Hi

There are quite a few restrictions to the Starter Edition of Studio, but since it will save the translateable file in it's original format: why Workbench? Is this an agency that provides TMs with the job, maybe?

I had a chat with an SDL agent yesterday, because I want to share work with a colleague who doesn't have Trados. The exchangeability of TMs, or rather the lack of it, turned out to be a serious problem. They effectively blocked that possibility.

Then again, maybe this is not the issue. If it is, consider the 30 day trial version which contains Workbench (the older version of Trados, namely 2007). The only restriction is that you can work in just one language direction, e.g. like English-French only.

HTH

- Marinus

quenimo09  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:20
Member (2011)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Trados Work Bench 7.0 requested by the client Dec 4, 2010

Hi Marinus:

Thank you for your reply, I appreciate it. Yes the problem is that the client insists on workbench 7.0. Also, Trados 2007 doesn`t seem to be available anymore for download and my trial run already expired.

I requested information from Trados if the complete version of Trados 2009 will be compatible with workbench 7.0. I hope to get an answer. This is very confusing for someone starting to use these tools.

There seems to be a tug of war between users of different platforms, like there was the tug of war on whether to use VHS tapes or Beta Tapes and VHS won (Laugh).

If I figure this out, I will post the reply here....

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 10:20
French to German
+ ...
There is still some compatibility between Studio 2009 and SDL Trados 2007 Dec 4, 2010

When you say that your client insists on you using Workbench 7.0, this needs to be formulated more precisely as Workbench is not a translation tool in itself but only an interface program between the two available editors Word and Tag Editor and the translation memory.

There are still ways to exchange documents between the 2007 and the 2009 version. The TTX format used by Tag Editor is supported in both versions: this means that your client may send you TTX documents, which you can then translate in Studio and send back to him.
If he sends you source documents, you can translate them in Studio, send him back the translated target version along with a TMX export of the TM so that he can update his 2007 TM by importing this TMX file.

The only thing that is not supported any more is the bilingual Word format. If your client should insist on getting this format back, you'll need to persuade him to change his workflow.

If you plan to do a lot of work for this client, you will need to have a serious discussion with him and find out when he plans to move to the new SW generation (Studio 2009). If he does not plan to do this in the near future, you will have to decide whether you want to purchase the 2007 version to continue working for this client or go on using the new Studio 2009 and work for other clients.

Walter

Daniel García
English to Spanish
+ ...
Studio 2009 includes SDL Trados 2007 Dec 5, 2010

Hi, SDL Trados Studio 2009 Freelance and Professional both include SDL Trados 2007 (i.e. Trados 8).

SDL Trados Studio Starter does not include SDL Trados 2007.

If your client uses Trados 2006 (i.e. Trados 7), you can buy SDL Trados Studio 2009 freelance or professional and you will get Trados 8, which is fully compatible with Trados 7.

More information:

http://www.translationzone.com/en/products/sdl-trados-studio/#tab2

I hope this helps.

Daniel

Laurent KRAULAND  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 10:20
French to German
+ ...
Clarification for the OP Dec 6, 2010

Just FYI: Trados 7.0 is not SDL Trados 2007, as 2007 is version 8.XX and Studio 2009 is version 9.XX.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Work Bench 7.0 compatibility

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search