Trados Studio SP3: Failed to save target content (InDesign)
Thread poster: Nick Quaintmere

Nick Quaintmere  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 05:28
German to English
Dec 5, 2010

So SP3 doesn't really seem to have brought us all that much further with the InDesign files. This is a shame, because customers are increasingly turning to this option. Here's some further info.
My customer (translation agency) has to work with TTXs, as they do not have Studio, like the majority of their translators still do not. So I have to create TTX files (with TagEditor as their is still no option in Studio for this) and then translate them. No problem. Saving the finalised TTX is also no problem. But generating an INX file from the TTX-based SDLXIFF is a BIG PROBLEM. This time I have had to do two files, both of which caused difficulties. Funnily enough, I was able to generate the INX with TagEditor, so this must be a problem with Studio, not the source file.

Here is my error message:

SDLErrorDetails time="05.12.2010 00:45:37"
ErrorMessage: Failed to save target content: Failed to write output file 'D:\JOBS\2010\02. Noch nicht abgerechnet\2010-12-02 MediaMate Job 2324 Schreiner Didaktik – Übersetzung\Project\en-GB\Uebers_Foto-Dokumentation_EN.inx': Resource (tag) with ID '' has been deleted or modified at Control ID 'document'.
- Exception
Type:Sdl.FileTypeSupport.Framework.FileTypeSupportException, Sdl.FileTypeSupport.Framework.Core, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=c28cdb26c445c888

Source: Sdl.FileTypeSupport.Filters.ConvertAdapter
- StackTrace:
- [CDATA[ at Sdl.FileTypeSupport.Filters.ConvertAdapter.AbstractTtxWriter.FileComplete()
at Sdl.FileTypeSupport.Filters.ConvertAdapter.TtxWriterToNative.FileComplete()
at Sdl.FileTypeSupport.Framework.BilingualApi.AbstractBilingualContentProcessor.FileComplete()
at Sdl.FileTypeSupport.Bilingual.Ttx.RedundantTagDetector.FileComplete()
at Sdl.FileTypeSupport.Framework.BilingualApi.AbstractBilingualContentProcessor.FileComplete()
at Sdl.FileTypeSupport.Framework.Integration.AbstractBilingualProcessorContainer.FileComplete()
at Sdl.FileTypeSupport.Framework.Integration.FileGenerator.FileComplete()
at Sdl.FileTypeSupport.Framework.Integration.AbstractBilingualProcessorContainer.FileComplete()
at Sdl.FileTypeSupport.Framework.Integration.MultiFileConverter.FileComplete()
at Sdl.FileTypeSupport.Bilingual.Tmfc.TmfcReaderImpl.vv_Visit(TmfcReaderImpl* , FrameworkFileContainerField* field)
at FrameworkFileContainerField.vv_AcceptFrameworkVisitor(FrameworkFileContainerField* , FrameworkFieldVisitor* visitor)
at Sdl.FileTypeSupport.Bilingual.Tmfc.TmfcReaderImpl.vv_VisitStartEndField(TmfcReaderImpl* , StartEndField* startEnd)
at Sdl.FileTypeSupport.Bilingual.Tmfc.TmfcReaderImpl.b_VisitNext(TmfcReaderImpl* )
at Sdl.FileTypeSupport.Bilingual.Tmfc.TmfcReader.ParseNext()
at Sdl.FileTypeSupport.Framework.Integration.FileExtractor.ParseNext()
at Sdl.FileTypeSupport.Framework.Integration.MultiFileConverter.ParseNext()
at Sdl.FileTypeSupport.Framework.Integration.MultiFileConverter.Parse()
at Sdl.TranslationStudio.Editor.TranslationEditor.TranslatableDocument.SaveMonolingualAsJobRequest.Execute(IJobExecutionContext context)
at Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Implementation.Services.Job.b__0()
at Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Implementation.Services.Log.Resources(Object message, Action action)
at Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Implementation.Services.Job._worker_DoWork(Object sender, DoWorkEventArgs e)
at System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.OnDoWork(DoWorkEventArgs e)
at System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.WorkerThreadStart(Object argument)

Just to clarify. I did an F8 check in Studio which revealed no errors. No tags were deleted or modified during the translation. And there is no tag "u61" in either the source or target file.

And please no responses telling me I should get my customer to buy Studio - I find that particularly unhelpful (even though I agree, it would make my life easier).

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Can we see the file? Dec 5, 2010

Hi Nick,

The message does seem to suggest that there is a tag missing that is required for the conversion. Pressing F8 is only going to find problems if your QA settings are appropriately set up.

Can you try the following;

1. Create a new TTX from the INX
2. Open the TTX in Studio
3. Copy all source to target
4. Try and save the target files

If this works then you know the problem is with your translation removing tags that are required for the conversion. If it fails then indeed the problem likes with something that has happened in the conversion process somewhere.

If the latter can you send me the INX and also your Project and we can take a look at it for you?

Regards

Paul

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Who hast translate the ttx file? Dec 5, 2010

Was it created and translated on your machine?
Or did it leave the computer which created the ttx and has been translated on a different computer?
If a different computer, was the Trados version exactly the same?

Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Interesting ... Dec 5, 2010

@ Jerzy

I was originally sent the TTXs by the customer, but to save potential problems, I created my own TTXs from the supplied INX file. And then translated it myself. In other words, it was all internal. So no clue there.

@ Paul

I tried your idea and got exactly the same error ... so I guess I'll have to send you everything to have a look aticon_smile.gif

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
What if the TTX is opened in TagEditor? Dec 5, 2010

Can this one produce the target?
And can you produce target from untranslated file in TagEditor?
Another option: open the INX now in Studio without converting to TTX and try to produce target from untranslated file. Does this work?

Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
TagEditor works Dec 5, 2010

Jerzy, if you read my original post, you'll find that I already answered some of these questions.

1) Yes, TagEditor produces the target. So, in that respect, my query is not urgent. I've already delivered the translation. My query is rather why Studio is failing to do this.

2) I didn't try and produce an untranslated target, as TagEditor actually had no problem with the bilingual file (I say no problem, I mean, of course, no problem apart the usual niggles).

3) Working directly with the INX file (I tested this on one of the two files I had to translate) caused no problem. However, my customer requires the TTX, so unfortunately that doesn't help me.

I will try and send Paul the project files as his suggestion didn't work (produced the same error in studio), but my last mail bounced back so I'll have to try again tomorrow.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Did you disable smart tag pairing? Dec 6, 2010

Hi Nick,

One common reason for the TTX workflow failing like this is because Studio has two modes, a smart tag pairing mode and a compatibility mode. The default is to use smart tag pairing.

When you use smart tag pairing mode Studio tries to convert tags in the TTX so that an opening and closing tag in the TTX file becomes a tag pair Studio and also allows for semi-wysiwyg work. Unfortunately it also means that sometimes the file will not survive the round trip to target again (target original file not target TTX) because Studio "pairs" an opening tag that has a missing closing tag in the TTX (happens with TTX sometimes) and this might be what is happenning here.

Can you try disabling smart tag pairing and try the exercise of opening, copying source, saving target again?

You do this in Tools-Options-File Types-TRADOStag-Compatibility and then check the Compatibility option to disable smart tag pairing.

I think this is worth a try first.

Regards

Paul

Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Smart Tag Pairing seemingly not the problem Dec 6, 2010

Darn, and that seemed like such a plausible idea! Unfortunately, I get the same error message in Studio.

I wonder why it is that Studio trips up, but TagEditor manages to do the deed? Sigh...

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Sorry... Dec 6, 2010

Nick Quaintmere wrote:

Jerzy, if you read my original post, you'll find that I already answered some of these questions.

I was abroad with laptop and mobile Internet, and I'm sorry for not having read your postst carefully.

My experience with INX files is in the last time really positive and I did not have problems with Studio.
However it seems your file is problematic somehow.
That said I still have one question: did TagEditor produce the target out of the Studio translated TTX? This is what I understand from what you say. Can you please confirm that?

Best regards
Jerzy

Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
That explains it! Dec 7, 2010

@ Jerzy: I did wonder!icon_wink.gif

To answer your question: Yes. The TTX was translated in Studio and Studio also had no problems saving the TTX. Which was lucky. I then had to open the TTX in TagEditor to generate the INX.

As I mentioned above, working direct with the INX in Studio was fine (I tested it). But the customer requires the TTX.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Studio SP3: Failed to save target content (InDesign)

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search